LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 Base Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19 | 10:25 PM
gearhead26
Driver School Candidate

Default 2002 Base Purchase

Long time lurker, but never bought a Lexus. Now, my situation has changed and I am in the market for an LS430 - wanted to get some opinions before I move forward.

I am looking at a 2002 Base Model. Black exterior with black interior. Location - Bay Area, CA. Mileage - 195k. Asking price is 4k.

Cosmetic - The car definitely shows its age on the exterior. Key scratch about 3 ft long on driver side, a rather large rear bumper scuff as well as a couple of deep scratches on the bumper. The interior B pillar (driver side) has some damage and needs to be reupholstered - lots of big tears/holes. Center console box also needs to be pushed forward to be opened. Side mirrors cannot be adjusted, but will fold in. Some oxidation on headlamps, but that is relatively easy to fix.

Mechanically, the car has 95%+ of the service records dating back to 2002. It has always been serviced at a Lexus dealer, and the records indicate what has been replaced or repaired with great detail from the technicians. The most recent visit (Dec 2018) at 193k show that 180k service was declined - no timing belt service, failed ignition coil, valve cover gasket leaking, transmission fluid leaking from the trans. pan, and an oil leak near the mail seal. It seems like during the most recent visit, just the leaks were repaired. Service records show door actuators have been replaced several times, and the radiator was replaced at 170k. Tires are relatively in good shape - I would say 5/32 or 6/32 Michelin Premier A/S.

Test drive - drove incredible smooth. No alignment issues or odd engine noises at highway speeds.

What other things should I be looking for? Any thoughts on the pricing given the issues for the car?
Old 06-26-19 | 08:00 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I’d pass. Too many issues and seems to be neglected recently. Many better examples out there. These cars can be expensive if not taken care. Keep looking even if a few dollars more. Only well maintained cars should be considered!
Old 06-26-19 | 08:14 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Check offer up theres been a lot posted on there from 01-06
Old 06-26-19 | 08:17 AM
TominPT
Instructor

I agree with Bocatrip completely. There are much better examples out there. I would run from any car with close to 200K in miles with clear evidence of deferred maintenance and many obvious flaws, like this one. Conversely, a car with that amount of miles but maintained consistently throughout its life, and in excellent condition, could be a good value.
Old 06-26-19 | 08:50 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default A little over 10 K

I made the decision last year to retire my long serving Prius. I'm pretty sure the Prius would have made it to 400 K, my lower back was not OK with that.
Patience is the key, I found the Cargurus site very useful.

My goal was a car I can run off another 200 K on without major repairs. What I was not going to do was purchase a new luxury car @ 70 K plus. I'm at that stage in life that I am starting to consider retirement in a few years. Big car payments are not conducive to building my net worth further.

I spent close to 3 months searching, I finally expanded my search to find "the one" and I am quite pleased overall. Compile a list of deal-breaker's my number 1 can't live without it was adaptive cruise control, the Prius had it and it spoiled me. My deal-breaker item meant either custom luxury or UL. Look for the headlight washers in photos, it's really helpful for finding the higher end options.

I'm about 10 K miles in to LS430 ownership now, the seats are heaven and my back appreciates it. My wife even noticed it when i get home for a long road day....hey you are not limping in the door. I'm very pleased with mine.
Old 06-26-19 | 09:12 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ricklin
I made the decision last year to retire my long serving Prius. I'm pretty sure the Prius would have made it to 400 K, my lower back was not OK with that.
You're not kidding. My company has a fleet of Prius' and while I like the efficiency of them, they are horribly uncomfortable, especially for someone like me, over 6' tall.
Old 06-26-19 | 10:20 AM
gearhead26
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the help everybody. I think I will keep searching for now. Definitely doing a PPI before purchasing once I find the right car.
Old 07-10-19 | 07:49 PM
MurphNasty
Driver School Candidate

Default Glad

Originally Posted by gearhead26
Appreciate the help everybody. I think I will keep searching for now. Definitely doing a PPI before purchasing once I find the right car.
I'm glad you waited, I wouldn't have paid 2 grand for that car.. just recently found what I think is a gem, 02 ls430 CL with sport pkg and staggered 20s, blk/blk 8/10 interior, paint is 9/10 minus like 3 small chips.. mechanically mint for the last 3 months I've had her other than needing the cats replaced.. 202k on the dash with the most recent paperwork from last year.. very clean Carfax.. 4300 cash.. I'm truly in love with the car.. I hope you find yours soon!