LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No Lexus service history

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 10:26 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

This exact car was posted in a previous thread by another member: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-430-a.html

Appears to be a Washington-plated LS now living in California. In the original ad photos, you can see a Hawaii registration/inspection sticker on the rear bumper.
Old 07-09-19, 08:38 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

NEVER EVER EVER buy a car or put a "holding fee"/"downpayment" on ANY CAR you do not personally inspect and verify IN PERSON AND test drive...otherwise you are being scammed. That's how they do it.

That said, IF it looks legit and you can take a look at it and test drive...then who cares about no service history. What are the miles, what's the cars condition, blue book value, look at ALL the fluids...no tbelt sticker then you better estimate that into the cost...etc etc. Also take it to a local mechanic or dealership to have it checked out by a pro just to be safe.
Old 07-09-19, 09:09 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

I saw this car on FB marketplace too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4347...8546023509654/
Old 07-09-19, 11:31 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks. I did drive. Owner is getting service history
Old 07-10-19, 03:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That's hilarious. The interior pictures are actually mine. Their from my old 04. You can tell from the first picture the interior is not saddle. Never a good sign when their stealing pics. And yes, I did take very good care of that car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...430-crowd.html
haha really? That is hilarious.

Not hard to right click and save as, but how about today, where technology can create fake videos to look like anybody, meaning be it government or celebrities or you and me?

At any rate right away I love the seats because we all know that is not a standard color for the interior (I was trying to see if there were headlight washers). I always wondered why if in the 1970's American cars had 20 interior colors, and German cars today have I dunno 8+, why were Japanese always restricted to maybe 3?
Old 07-10-19, 03:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by NetG
NEVER EVER EVER buy a car or put a "holding fee"/"downpayment" on ANY CAR you do not personally inspect and verify IN PERSON AND test drive...otherwise you are being scammed. That's how they do it.

That said, IF it looks legit and you can take a look at it and test drive...then who cares about no service history. What are the miles, what's the cars condition, blue book value, look at ALL the fluids...no tbelt sticker then you better estimate that into the cost...etc etc. Also take it to a local mechanic or dealership to have it checked out by a pro just to be safe.
I get that it all boils down to money, but I think the sweet spot in reality might be a non CPO used car from a new car dealer. At least this is what I see some of my friends doing who have money. Car dealers are car dealers, but new car dealers are a level above used. Again at least with my LS they fixed the door actuator and did the front brakes Lexus OE parts after I took delivery for cust sat. But at the same time there won't be any "deals of the century" at a new car dealer.

Then again of course for those who have an indy who will install customer parts, they can get a super low price, and if something were to happen, the delta is used for a repair, and if no repair needed, the delta is pure savings....(I am still a guy who is resolved on getting a used S class, I haven't let go of that desire, not yet)
Old 07-10-19, 05:12 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

First flag is an out of state seller (WA) having his younger brother (who knows nothing about the car) show a WA registered car to possible CA buyers. Registration doesn't show mileage. Second flag is no current service history. Third flag is high end saddle interior and special order color in a car w/o Nav or camera. Thought it was a Premium. However it has headlight washers. Maybe the other CL options. I didn't realize saddle required them. Paint seemed a little flat. Maybe just dirty. I've seen another Briarwood. Love it or hate it, hard to miss. This one's been kicking around various sites for almost a month. I'm curious to see what the owner provides for service history.
Old 07-10-19, 05:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

What do the Carfax and or Auto Check reports show?
Old 07-10-19, 05:35 PM
jaxkxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 04 Briarwood/beige int with 103K Miles on it in mint condition for sale. 62 service records from Lexus dealer incl. 90K timing belt and water pump. PM if interested.
Old 07-10-19, 05:45 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I'm waiting to see if the owner can provide any service history. If he does, then I'll check Carfax and Autocheck.
Old 07-12-19, 12:15 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Another reason some cars have no Lexus service history is if the buyer lives in a town pretty far away from a local dealer. For instance if a buyer lives in Pensacola Florida the nearest Lexus dealer is in Mobile which is 60 miles away. If the car is reliable and needs no repairs they may choose to have a local independent, or local Toyota, do all the maintenance so there will be no Lexus service history.
Old 07-12-19, 01:48 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kansas
There have been past threads about Lexus being distributed in Hawaii by Servco which has nothing to do with "Lexus, a Division of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.". Hawaii might as well be a separate country. Servco markets Lexus and other makes in other Pacific areas and even in Australia. From my experience, Lexus vehicles sold in Hawaii are more similar to those sold in Taiwan and sometimes are in configurations that were never available in the U.S.
That might explain the '05 (from Hawaii) that I looked at. No Nav but headlight washers, saddle interior, etc. Not sure if other CL options. I didn't check because because no display.
Old 07-12-19, 01:55 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Another reason some cars have no Lexus service history is if the buyer lives in a town pretty far away from a local dealer. For instance if a buyer lives in Pensacola Florida the nearest Lexus dealer is in Mobile which is 60 miles away. If the car is reliable and needs no repairs they may choose to have a local independent, or local Toyota, do all the maintenance so there will be no Lexus service history.
Thanks, that's helpful. Seller claims Lex did the TB and trans flush. His proof is the Aisin label. Says he'll contact dealer for history. A week later, nothing. Seems to be upset I'm asking for records which is a good reason to walk away. I don't like the Saddlewood enough to risk potential problems.
Old 07-12-19, 01:59 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
For the right price and of course a thorough inspection, you can always take a chance. If the price is not attractive enough it gets risky. Our cars can be expensive to repair if there are too many repairs or even just a few major issues. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Seller still hasn't provided promised service history. There are plenty of other nice 430's with complete history.
Old 07-12-19, 04:36 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I have access to TIS (a more in-depth version of Lexus Driver's database that dealerships use) and I have never been able to pull the service history or monroney for any Hawaiian or Canadian spec Lexus. The OP will simply have to go "old school" with this purchase.
Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Seller still hasn't provided promised service history. There are plenty of other nice 430's with complete history.
Just in case you missed it, tallcaguy; unless the dealership used a "fake" VIN within their own CRM system to service the car, then there is no way of pulling the vehicle's history from TIS or any other Lexus database.

Quick Reply: No Lexus service history