LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New question on steering wheel covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 04:19 PM
cablemn
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New question on steering wheel covers

Okay so ive searched and searched all the forums and i havent found a definitive answer to the problem of finding
a custom form fitting leather steering wheel cover for our cracking wood steering wheels short of a refurbishment or factory replacement
which holds a hefty pricetag. Ridiculous if i might say. It seems like the answer was right in front of my nose all the time.
the basic circular part of a Lexus/Toyota wheel seems the same over many different models. The LS430 and the LX470 SEEM to look exactly the same.
The center portion or horn/airbag cover is different but the rim and basic design is shared. Therefore i contend that several chinese brands of
leather form fitting leather covers might just fit on our LS430s.
My wheel is very cracked, feels funny and looks bad but i dont want a cover that just covers an inch from the airbag. That looks cheap and cheesey.
So can some owners help me out with a measurement or 2? I feel as long as the diameter is the same and the girth matches up we could have a source that would make many happy.
The likely candidates are lx470, rx350, toyota tundra, and many more. Once you put this in context you may see that more and more vehicles use the same design.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by cablemn; 07-10-19 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-19, 05:50 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

funny i haven't been on in a while and i come back on to see this. i have been in the same situation as my steering wheel is in bad shape with cracking wood & damaged leather. i was searching for something on eBay and saw similar companies that made wheels for other models, but nothing for the LS. i'm subscribing to see if an answer is found.
Old 07-12-19, 03:10 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Dunno if these guys are any good or not.
They seem to be sew on leather covers, so not custom fitted to the LS430, but should do to cover up cracked wood.
https://www.shopsar.com/lexus-ls-lea...ws-lexusls.htm
Here too
https://www.autoanything.com/steerin...A13A288A1.aspx

Failing that there are plenty of cheap-ish used steering wheels available over this side of the pond.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...wheel&_sacat=0
Not sure what shipping will cost ya, but we don't seem to get the wood cracking issue over here.

Last edited by BigBoomer; 07-12-19 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 02:32 PM
cablemn
Rookie

Well i guess im taking the bull by the horns here. im gonna try and find an lx470 owner on the lxus forum and ask directly if they would be kind enough to
take the measurements i need and compare them to the ls 430. Then if its a match i'll take the plunge and buy one of the two covers you see in the pics.
When this works out you guys can all lavish me with praise.
The following users liked this post:
ebxgsxr (07-13-19)
Old 07-13-19, 11:33 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

I put a Wheel Skins cover on my very worn out/sun damaged SC steering wheel and has been a nice fix.....

Not sure I could give up the wood/leather combo of the LS430 and luckily mine is holding up...…

Here is what the SC product looks like...

raiders3 (04-09-23)
Old 07-13-19, 09:13 PM
cablemn
Rookie

its not bad but they never fit quite right around the spokes. No offense but it looks like an aftermarket steering wheel cover.
im looking for something that looks like its supposed to be there like it came from the factory.
I'm pretty tenacious when it comes to these things. Ill get it done and ill do the DIY for it on here.
Old 07-16-19, 07:49 PM
cablemn
Rookie

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
funny i haven't been on in a while and i come back on to see this. i have been in the same situation as my steering wheel is in bad shape with cracking wood & damaged leather. i was searching for something on eBay and saw similar companies that made wheels for other models, but nothing for the LS. i'm subscribing to see if an answer is found.
I almost positive that ive found an answer to the cracking steering wheel problem. just waiting on an email i sent to the vendor.
Im going to buy the perforated leather sew on wrap that will cover the entire rim and spokes as in the pic at the beginning of my thread.
I think its worth the $63 as opposed to $55 for the wheelskins one that looks like an arts and crafts project. I will definitely post the results.
I think alot of people such as you just gave up on this. I owned an LS a couple years ago and was sorry i sold her. so i bought another one and want her spruced up but i dont want
the pepboys look. I also dont like spending ridiculous amounts of money on parts. I will get it done on the cheap.
ebxgsxr (08-01-19)
Old 08-01-19, 04:57 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Following! How to hear good news from you!
Old 08-01-19, 06:50 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cablemn
I almost positive that ive found an answer to the cracking steering wheel problem. just waiting on an email i sent to the vendor.
Im going to buy the perforated leather sew on wrap that will cover the entire rim and spokes as in the pic at the beginning of my thread.
I think its worth the $63 as opposed to $55 for the wheelskins one that looks like an arts and crafts project. I will definitely post the results.
I think alot of people such as you just gave up on this. I owned an LS a couple years ago and was sorry i sold her. so i bought another one and want her spruced up but i dont want
the pepboys look. I also dont like spending ridiculous amounts of money on parts. I will get it done on the cheap.

i'm in the same boat but for kind of different reasons. i want my car to look/feel nice, but i don't want to put a lot since it's got high mileage, and who know what could go wrong. these are one of the things where, i was keeping a look out for a replacement wheel on ebay, but didn't want to spend a lot. so it's been on the back burner. lol.
Old 08-01-19, 06:29 PM
cablemn
Rookie

Ordering tonight. i will post when i receive it. probably going with a light brownish color.
I have the ecru interior and i think the contrast will be a nice touch.
Its about 63ish dollars so its not that cheap but compared to a few hundred for a recondition its a drop in the bucket.
and i think it'll show well. The perforated leather look is nice also. They are a pain in the *** to sew on but i think the
finished product is worth it. It should look OEM.
I'll be sure to post the part numbers and final cost when i'm done.
Old 08-02-19, 04:53 AM
cablemn
Rookie

ordered....hope its worth the $69
I think everyone whose following this should kick in a buck or two to me for being the test mule here.
Just kiddin.
Old 08-02-19, 12:28 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

following lol....
Old 08-11-19, 07:06 PM
cablemn
Rookie

Default Update

OK, so i received the cover in the mail from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. The quality is great the feel of the leather is perfect and
the color was acceptable. Dont get me wrong this is not an easy project but if you take your time and fiddle with it enough you can get it to fit.
I had some trouble with the spokes but I think it came out ok. i've included pics so give me your input.
Personally i think this is a fantastic alternative to wheelskins product because it looks factory when youre done.
The directions are pretty good with the pics they give you and theres a video on youtube on how to install their product.
It was very helpful. This IS the answer to the problem of old looking LS430 steering wheels and it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg.
This was 69 bux and prob gonna be about 3 to 4 hrs of detailed work but it think its worth the trouble. What do you guys think....

Old 08-11-19, 07:26 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

That's awesome !!
Exactly what I have been looking for .
So that is a cover for the LX470...correct !!
Could you please put a link to where you bought it from.
Old 08-12-19, 04:47 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Too bad the color doesn't match.

Quick Reply: New question on steering wheel covers