LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Junkyard trip this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 01:16 PM
oifish
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Junkyard trip this weekend

I just picked up an 05' 430 last weekend. Only 112k miles on it. I'm loving the car so far. The telescoping wheel doesn't work, but I can hear the motor running. I'm going to order new bushings, but might pickup a motor from an 05' that's in a local junkyard as a backup. I might pickup an extra set of OEM wheels while I'm there to have for my winter tires. Some of the clips to hold down the plastic engine covers are missing so I'll grab those too.

Is there anything I should look to snag while I'm there? There is an 02' and 05' on the lot.

PS, I'm used to junkyard diving for my old Volvo 740, so the Lexus world is new to me. If junkyarding for parts in uncouth let me know and I'll keep quiet
Old 07-30-19, 01:31 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Absolutely go diving anywhere you can for parts! Wish I could join you!!

As far as other things to look for out of a wrecked 430, Look to see if it has the power port in the ash tray position. Some cars had those instead of the typical ashtray.

Tool kit in the trunk is a good thing to snag, if it's there...

Mirrors, if they can be removed as a unit. The folding motors tend to fail.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in...
Old 07-30-19, 01:43 PM
bradland

Received 684 Likes on 560 Posts

If it's a pick n pull type place where you can basically grab whatever is still on the car I might grab an alternator...
Throw some new brushes in and set it on the shelf as a backup. Maybe grab the clockspring if you know how to get to it...?
Old 07-30-19, 01:52 PM
oifish
Rookie

Ahh good call on the mirrors and alternator, fairly easy things to pickup. I've never messed with a clockspring before. If it isn't 90+ degrees, I'll mess around with it.

Last edited by oifish; 07-30-19 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 02:24 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

Good for you! Don't bother with the motor for the telescoping as I'm sure a used one will bad as well. Good luck!
Old 07-30-19, 03:25 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Good for you! Don't bother with the motor for the telescoping as I'm sure a used one will bad as well. Good luck!

Good point......
Old 07-30-19, 08:27 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Grab the door actuators if they seem to work. Also I had my cup holders break on my previous LS and in the back of my mind I seem to remember they were $150 new, I use mine all the time. ML Amp would be good as well.
Old 07-31-19, 05:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

About 5 years ago, my uncle and me went looking for an ABS pump for an Audi A6. I was surprised how many 1995-1999 Nissan Maximas were in there--when I took a closer look, they all had the same general issues as far as say being able to yank parts. Either they were already gone, or rust prevented the removal of them. The staff were downright rude, prices were way overpriced (ever heard of um, eBay?), and the cars were not the valuable ones (you don't see ANY BMWs at all, those are either inside or have been stripped). This is Phila. Maybe it's more fun doing this in the Bronx. There you can get some parts and top notch bbq too. What a racket in Phila. good riddance lol
Old 07-31-19, 06:33 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

If you ever see the 01-03 LS430 Steering wheel ( must in good shape) grab them and I will pay you extra.
Old 07-31-19, 07:26 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

The catch here is if you are finding parts that are notoriously defective and/or require a ton of labor to replace it can be a huge waste of time. You risk spending alot of time replacing defective parts with another defective or soon to fail part. It's something to consider.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (08-05-19)
Old 07-31-19, 08:00 AM
oifish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Euro09
If you ever see the 01-03 LS430 Steering wheel ( must in good shape) grab them and I will pay you extra.
I'll take a look when I'm there.
Old 07-31-19, 08:01 AM
oifish
Rookie

The catch here is if you are finding parts that are notoriously defective and/or require a ton of labor to replace it can be a huge waste of time. You risk spending alot of time replacing defective parts with another defective or soon to fail part. It's something to consider.
Exactly. Usually I steer clean from the cars that are totally blown out. But if one has just been rear ended and is in great shape, I start scavenging.
Old 07-31-19, 09:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

jmo anything of value is protected from the weather and from people pulling them on their own. This is common business sense...what's left is junk that in the off chance someone can use it, we'll charge double what it would go for on eBay

Now if you want something for a 1992 Volvo or Saab, then why not?
Old 08-05-19, 07:43 AM
oifish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
jmo anything of value is protected from the weather and from people pulling them on their own. This is common business sense...what's left is junk that in the off chance someone can use it, we'll charge double what it would go for on eBay

Now if you want something for a 1992 Volvo or Saab, then why not?
Yep. Both were pretty ripped up. I snagged a couple of backup relays and plastic bits, but that's about it. Surprisingly there was a Previa there, that had a fresh new steelie and tire that I picked up as a spare for my brother's work van. So it wasn't a complete bust.
Old 08-05-19, 08:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oifish
Yep. Both were pretty ripped up. I snagged a couple of backup relays and plastic bits, but that's about it. Surprisingly there was a Previa there, that had a fresh new steelie and tire that I picked up as a spare for my brother's work van. So it wasn't a complete bust.
Nice....

Quick Reply: Junkyard trip this weekend