LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Auto Insurance (modified car)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 12:28 PM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts
Default LS430 Auto Insurance (modified car)

Hello,

I was wondering what insurance companies did fellow clubmembers use for their modified LS430's?

I just received a letter from Ameriprise/Costco car insurance stating the following:

"Please accept this letter as notification that your automobile insurance policy is scheduled to expire at xxxxxx.
This action has been initiated because of the performance-altering modifications made to your 2005 Lexus Ls430:

-Air suspension

If you call and remove this vehicle from your policy prior to the expiration date, coverage will continue for the remaining vehicles"

Before I actually installed the air suspension, I rang them up and they confirmed that they would cover any suspension modification. The lady I spoke to on the phone today confirmed that they did in fact cover suspension modifications, however air suspension was not one of them.

I am pretty pissed off with them considering they gave me the go-ahead before fitting the suspension, but now turns out I won't be covered in the near future.

Who are you insured with? And have you declared all of your car modifications?

Thanks,
Yann
Old 08-02-19, 08:20 AM
YannG
Intermediate

200 views yet not one answer!

I'm confused, is anyone using auto insurance in the USA? If so, have you declared your modifications to your insurer?
Old 08-02-19, 08:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,535 Posts

I don't think many insurance companies will cover a car modified like that maybe I'm wrong. I can see from their perspective why, they have no way of knowing if the suspension was modified properly and if the car is safe. You're going to have to call around.
Old 08-02-19, 09:02 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

I’ve heard from some of heavily modified Supra/SC guys that they insured their cars through Hagerty. I think that was the name. I have State Farm and they claimed my mods were covered but my only expensive mods are my wheels and front grille.
Old 08-03-19, 08:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Not that this will be a big help, I just got new auto insurance to lower the premium, and there was actually a field to say yes or no if the vehicle is modified. I never noticed that before. I guess insurance cos. are looking for many ways to not pay claims. Like if you have a german shepherd dog and did not tell them, suddenly the tree falling on your house is not covered.
Old 08-03-19, 10:06 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Currently have GEICO, never inquired with any previous Insurance companies about modifications though on any of my vehicles.
Old 08-03-19, 12:14 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Insurance rates and practices are based on known specs, repair ability, etc.

A major functional change like you described is outside the box for premium rating, and ultimately claims cost.

Look to a specialty carrier like Haggerty or Grundy. They can also insure it for a fixed value, so no hassles if it’s totalled.

Give the very few miles per year I put on some of mine, I’ve even looked into using them as rates a extremely good, just be sure daily driving is not excluded.
Old 08-03-19, 12:54 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

You are a rolling liability to them now for all they know you had bill cosby and an iguana make the air ride kit in your basement. Not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to explain there logic behind it, I think its dumb but its how they do things.
Old 08-03-19, 01:37 PM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
You are a rolling liability to them now for all they know you had bill cosby and an iguana make the air ride kit in your basement. Not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to explain there logic behind it, I think its dumb but its how they do things.
It's quite reasonable when you consider the alternatives...
Could you imagine buying a permit, similar to the construction world, and waiting for a code inspector to show up and approve your newly replaced alternator?!?
Even a brand new Toyota / Lexus suspension part installed by the wrong hands is a potential liability. "Where'd that cotter pin go?" "Cotter WHAT? must not be important..."

I own a combination wire stripper/crimper tool but you'll never catch me doing ANYTHING deep inside the breaker box in my house.
Old 08-05-19, 06:34 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
You've obviously modified your vehicle (read your progress build), have you then not declared any of the modifications to your insurer?

The only reason I started this thread is that back in the UK I had declared all of my modifications to my insurance (both car and motorbike), otherwise it would be considered void in case of an accident. It seems like people over the USA dont declare any modifications to their insurer until they get into an accident.

I'm still shopping around, but thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.
Old 08-05-19, 07:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

USAA if you qualify. Progressive is pretty competitive as well. I would not declare anything. Rather ridiculous they would cancel you over suspension changes.
Old 08-05-19, 07:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

as far as not declaring anything, not sure. I would rather be on the up and up. I had a former coworker who said he lived in NJ when he lived in Brooklyn, NY, and when his vehicle was stolen, the claim was denied and the people involved threw around words like 'insurance fraud."

The way I see it is why pay for something if you aren't getting anything, like insurance premiums and you can't collect. Getting dropped is an insult. This means, all those premiums you paid? You would have never been able to collect anything, yet the co. accepted all that payment. That's like being robbed.

When I first got a car with collision and comp, it had to be taken to a place to be inspected (haha dating myself). Today it seems unnecessary. I'm not sure why not. Say your car is already all cracked up, and you go to insure it, and then file a claim?
Old 08-05-19, 11:39 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

State Farm, Farmers they will cover your car you just may have to pay additional premium if you have upgrades such as suspension. Example State Farm will cover up to $10k in modifications you just need receipts, pictures, etc. As for Hagerty or Grundy they will not an issue this car because it is too new. I use them for one of my classics and they told me no on the LS. Just make sure you have pictures and receipts for your modifications I have never had an issue with State Farm or Farmers. No name insurance brands I would stay away from.
Old 08-06-19, 08:42 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by YannG
You've obviously modified your vehicle (read your progress build), have you then not declared any of the modifications to your insurer?

The only reason I started this thread is that back in the UK I had declared all of my modifications to my insurance (both car and motorbike), otherwise it would be considered void in case of an accident. It seems like people over the USA dont declare any modifications to their insurer until they get into an accident.

I'm still shopping around, but thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.
The only mod I have on my insurance is my medical window tint which is covered up to $600. If my car ever does get totaled I am just going to buy it back and either fix it or switch everything over to another LS and keep a parts car. Hate insurance companies got screwed out of $9000 but thats a story for another time haha.

Also in like half of the US they do not require insurance or inspections on vehicles I am in NY which has probably the strictest inspections ever. The bare minuim for insurance is $10,000 property damage and $25,000 liability/personal injury.

Quick Reply: LS430 Auto Insurance (modified car)