LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19 | 05:14 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice! Buddy has same issue on his Navigator L. I finally got a chance to see what he meant when I was down in FLA. With my car being from FLA, it makes me wonder, what is the best state to get a car from after all.....I saw a LS430 in SC with mint chrome rims. But is it cuz of SC or redone....
If you have a garage with room in it to keep the car then you are ok. But if you have a wife like mine that fills up the garage with stuff we haven't even looked at in 10 years then the sun can be pretty brutal on a paint job.
Old 08-21-19 | 07:01 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice! Buddy has same issue on his Navigator L. I finally got a chance to see what he meant when I was down in FLA. With my car being from FLA, it makes me wonder, what is the best state to get a car from after all.....I saw a LS430 in SC with mint chrome rims. But is it cuz of SC or redone....
Best location is a southern and or dry climate that’s been garaged the majority of its life. As mentioned the sun is brutal. Northern with salt can be a horror show as the car ages. California is best but prices reflect it. My car being in Florida it’s entire life has all original paint in amazing shape. I contacted the original owner when I purchased it 10 years ago and asked him how did he keep the car’s paint looking so good in sunny Fl. He replied that every day he went to work it was parked in an inside garage. There you have it!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 08-21-19 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnhav430 (08-21-19)
Old 08-21-19 | 10:35 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Looks like you found a good Maaco! It's so hard to tell which are good and which are bad.

Very nice result - paint looks pretty excellent in your photos. Hope that it will hold up over time.

Now do something about those oxidized wheels!
Therein lies the rub. I'd like to get new wheels but I cannot find anything that I really like. I don't care for the factory wheels. I've been through Tirerack several times. Nothing.

I know I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but what I'd like to have are some Cragar SS mags. I always loved the look of those from when I was much younger but never could afford them, and never really had anything that they would have looked appropriate on, except maybe my first car, a 76 Monte Carlo.

Okay. Let me have it. I probably deserve it for even considering putting those on an LS.
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19 | 11:13 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99LSBrad
Therein lies the rub. I'd like to get new wheels but I cannot find anything that I really like. I don't care for the factory wheels. I've been through Tirerack several times. Nothing.

I know I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but what I'd like to have are some Cragar SS mags. I always loved the look of those from when I was much younger but never could afford them, and never really had anything that they would have looked appropriate on, except maybe my first car, a 76 Monte Carlo.

Okay. Let me have it. I probably deserve it for even considering putting those on an LS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob04:
99LSBrad (08-21-19), CELSI0R (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19 | 12:15 PM
gmoney94
Driver

18 inch OEMs are my preference, followed by some flavor of BBS style lace rims.
Old 08-21-19 | 12:35 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Best location is a southern and or dry climate that’s been garaged the majority of its life. As mentioned the sun is brutal. Northern with salt can be a horror show as the car ages. California is best but prices reflect it. My car being in Florida it’s entire life has all original paint in amazing shape. I contacted the original owner when I purchased it 10 years ago and asked him how did he keep the car’s paint looking so good in sunny Fl. He replied that every day he went to work it was parked in an inside garage. There you have it!
Sweet! First it was the ding thing. Where I can no longer drive a car and not curb it. Not even a rental. Last week I picked up a new Nissan Maxima with 4 miles--again, I told myself I am the first person to spend more than 30 minutes with this car, it's like picking it up from the dealer. It is under my care. Everywhere I went I curbed it. Luckily my colleagues had their own rentals or they would have thought I'm a nut job. A coworker also got a brand new Traverse and he didn't care where he parked. We went to dinner and that really smelled, new in an annoying way. I guess the problem with these new cars is they're not broken in properly even though some say not necessary. I did use the cruise for 150 miles at the same speed (radar I might add very nice).

So now, I can't see buying a brand new car, and simply a) not garaging it b) driving it in the winter in the northeast

Might as well buy used if the above applies. And if buying used, buy as you say from the south or CA.

Old 08-21-19 | 01:07 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexRex
Brad, I'd like to see the Cragars on an LS, just for kicks. I can understand why you are linking those wheels with the LS, since it's an old-school land barge with squared-off body lines. The LS seems to look better with old-school wheel designs. Some Mickey Thompson slotted alloys might look cool... or not.
I like the other OEMs that kinda look like mags, just more subdued. The ones I had on my 07ES were nice. I can't go to 18's though, I just bought new tires. Checked out the MT's. Not bad, but not in our size.
Old 08-22-19 | 05:10 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

came out nice!
Old 08-22-19 | 10:13 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Northern CA summer sun is brutal. When parked outside, my car is always under a cover that's designed to protect the car from sun. Interior stays cool. Paint still looks new. I've got a routine, it takes 2 minutes to cover or uncover. Well worth taking the extra time!