LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone replaced charcoal canister?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 07:30 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Anyone replaced charcoal canister?

I am guilty as hell for being one of those who liked to top up his gas tank. Of course I've stopped the bad habit, but not until I've triggered to the PO440 code. (evaporative emission system). Every now and then, I'll get a gas smell after a long drive as well. I've done the smoke test with no results, changed the gas cap, cleaned the VSV and now am driving on half a tank of gas as often as possible. (dry out charcoal?) . Lexus is willing to diagnose the problem for me ($99+tax) to find the exact culprit. My problem is that if it turns out to be the canister, the cost for the part alone is $300, not to mention a ton of labor to get to it. Has anyone had any issues with their canister or the PO440 code and what was your experience? I know it doesn't affect performance and I can erase the code (only for it to return within 300 miles) but I'd still like to resolve the problem if it's not too expensive. Thanks all.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 08-22-19 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 08:05 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure about it not affecting performance...depends what state it puts the ecu in when the code goes off...if it goes into safety/limp mode you'll have **** poor mileage...but again I do NOT know how the ecu reacts when this code is triggered so it might not. But why are you taking your car to a dealership for repairs? only use dealerships for cars under warranty or recalls, otherwise you'll pay far more than necessary and mechanics offer warranties on their work just like the dealership does. Find a shop with a good reputation and just call and ask for a quote, get one with them buying the part and one with you supplying the part. If it's out of warranty it's a stealership not a dealership
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (08-22-19)
Old 08-22-19, 09:21 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by NetG
I'm not sure about it not affecting performance...depends what state it puts the ecu in when the code goes off...if it goes into safety/limp mode you'll have **** poor mileage...but again I do NOT know how the ecu reacts when this code is triggered so it might not. But why are you taking your car to a dealership for repairs? only use dealerships for cars under warranty or recalls, otherwise you'll pay far more than necessary and mechanics offer warranties on their work just like the dealership does. Find a shop with a good reputation and just call and ask for a quote, get one with them buying the part and one with you supplying the part. If it's out of warranty it's a stealership not a dealership
Thank you NetG for your imput. I've had the CEL and the PO440 for quite some time and my performance and gas mileage are fine. I do 99% city driving and get 14-15 mpg with all city driving. The few times on the highway I'm in the mid 20s. Acceleration is great. With regards to your question about why I am bringing the car to the Lexus dealer.........My independent (who was a service manager for Lexus) did the smoke test and as much diagnostics that he was limited to. He told me that there are very few modules on an 01 LS430 and the dealer has the diagnostic equipment to close and open the evaporative system at different locations to narrow down the issue. If this was a new car the location would be found immediately with so many modules. I was thinking about changing the vacuum switching valve, but I hate to be throwing money at this code. At least with Lexus, once they narrow it down, I know what my options are and can then go to my Independent if I decide to go forward with the repair. Again, if it turns out to be the canister, I might just forget about it. The location is a nightmare to get to.
Old 08-22-19, 09:45 AM
Andreius
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I am guilty as hell for being one of those who liked to top up his gas tank. Of course I've stopped the bad habit, but not until I've triggered to the PO440 code. (evaporative emission system). Every now and then, I'll get a gas smell after a long drive as well. I've done the smoke test with no results, changed the gas cap, cleaned the VSV and now am driving on half a tank of gas as often as possible. (dry out charcoal?) . Lexus is willing to diagnose the problem for me ($99+tax) to find the exact culprit. My problem is that if it turns out to be the canister, the cost for the part alone is $300, not to mention a ton of labor to get to it. Has anyone had any issues with their canister or the PO440 code and what was your experience? I know it doesn't affect performance and I can erase the code (only for it to return within 300 miles) but I'd still like to resolve the problem if it's not too expensive. Thanks all.
I've had same code +P0441 P0446 for couple of year now (gasoline smell, CEL popping back after few hundred miles, usually when idling) and felt the pain learning about charcoal canister replacement. Recently I saw a vid where guy sez if you ever replaced air filter it is very to easy bump couple of hoses right next to air filter cover, so check if all are intact - I've had one small hose disconnected, so put it back last week and will come back here if that didn't do it, just FYI.
Bocatrip (08-22-19)
Old 08-22-19, 09:55 AM
Andreius
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andreius
I've had same code +P0441 P0446 for couple of year now (gasoline smell, CEL popping back after few hundred miles, usually when idling) and felt the pain learning about charcoal canister replacement. Recently I saw a vid where guy sez if you ever replaced air filter it is very to easy bump couple of hoses right next to air filter cover, so check if all are intact - I've had one small hose disconnected, so put it back last week and will come back here if that didn't do it, just FYI.
..if code(s) come back replacing VSV is next step before tackling the canister job (prob wouldn't do it for a while anyway and see how it runs).

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...0-p0441-p0446/
Bocatrip (08-22-19)