LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 03:36 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

The official Lexus shop repair manual sets are readily available on eBay for around $200. IMHO, you don't need them. This forum already had a thread on just about every problem you may encounter with your LS430, most of which comes with sketches, diagrams, tips and tricks. Participants on this forum are helpful and friendly. Just do a "search" and if you don't find what you need, just ask...
The following users liked this post:
Marc08EX (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 05:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
You guys should be glad to at least have a dipstick. Lexus "Cost Reduced" this part in the 07+ models. We have to plug into a diagnostic scanner and then check the amount of fluid overflow or sth stupid when the temperature is at some obscure exact temperature range. Thanks for nothing, Toyota.
Think this is all Toyotas. Mine is a 2006. The other thing, however, even with a dipstick, is having things level. It was weird to see cars on ramps with the job being done. Same with rear diff, and how can you really do that, put the car on 4 jack stands? That's hairy imho.
Old 08-30-19, 05:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Another member posted a little trick. Can't remember who. You don't need to drain the fluid on level ground. He used ramps with the front end up and got an additional quart or two. Measure what you take out, replace, and top off as necessary, on level ground of course.
Old 08-30-19, 06:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Another member posted a little trick. Can't remember who. You don't need to drain the fluid on level ground. He used ramps with the front end up and got an additional quart or two. Measure what you take out, replace, and top off as necessary, on level ground of course.
Just from experience with my wife's car which is GM and has a dipstick, measuring did not work. It simply defies common sense how the fluid expands with temp. But to each his own--Toyota has a very specific process and fancy expensive tools. Who even knows maybe the wrong level doesn't even do anything? Oh btw when I say level I only mean no dipstick cars....dipstick means you can adjust...adding is easier but you can even take out...and check...
Old 08-30-19, 07:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

With the newer transmission refilling is more difficult yes. Need to pump until it overflows at the fill hole with the trans at temp. But it is nice to get an extra quart or 2 out at the drain either way. The wrong level is not good. Better to be a bit over than under. The car being level and at temp is vital for correct measument as RKW stated. The only thing "fancy" Techstream tells you is when you are at temp. About 10 - 15 min of idling will do the trick unless you are in the artic or something. 😊

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-30-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 09:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

With the newer transmission refilling is more difficult yes. Need to pump until it overflows at the fill hole with the trans at temp. But it is nice to get an extra quart or 2 out at the drain either way. The wrong level is not good. Better to be a bit over than under. The car being level and at temp is vital for correct measument as RKW stated. The only thing "fancy" Techstream tells you is when you are at temp. About 10 - 15 min of idling will do the trick unless you are in the artic or something. 😊
haha the way we are politically correct today, it wouldn't surprise me if a user called "ARCTIC LS" comes forward, "Hey, I resemble that remark. I'm in the arctic and no, we can't simply idle our cars for 10-15 minutes, we need the fancy Techstream!"
Old 08-30-19, 12:23 PM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

In the interest of not misleading anyone reading this thread, 10-15 min will more than likely take you past (above) the temp range. TechStream is great but it's not required for this procedure. All you need is a paperclip to use as a jumper wire (aka SST)...

This has been posted many times before, copied from the Svc Manual.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
ADJUSTMENT
1. BEFORE TRANSMISSION FILL
_ This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS.
_ It is necessary to refill the transmission with the correct
amount of fluid.
_ The vehicle must remain level while adjusting fluid level.
2. TRANSMISSION PAN FILL
(a) Remove the two bolts and transmission case cover.
(b) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.
(c) Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins
to trickle out of the overflow tube.
(d) Reinstall the overflow plug.
3. TRANSMISSION FILL
(a) Fill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid as
listed in the table below.
(b) Reinstall the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.
Performed Repair Fill Amount
Transmission pan and drain plug removal
1.3 liters (1.37 US qts, 1.14 Imp. qts)
Transmission valve body removal 3.9 liters (4.12 US qts, 3.43 Imp. qts)
Torque converter removal 5.3 liters (5.60 US qts, 4.66 Imp. qts)
Entire transmission assembly 5.3 liters (5.60 US qts, 4.66 Imp. qts)
HINT:
If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:
(1) Install the refill plug.
(2) Allow the engine to idle with air conditioning OFF.
(3) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate
fluid.
(4) Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.
(5) Stop the engine.
(6) Remove the refill plug and add fluid.
(7) Reinstall the refill plug.
4. FLUID CIRCULATION
(a) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.
(b) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate
the fluid.
5. FLUID TEMPERATURE CHECK
NOTICE:
_ On vehicles equipped with air suspension, perform
step (c) if it necessary to jack up the vehicle while the
engine running.
_ The fluid temperature should be less than 30_C (86_F)
before beginning the fluid temperature check.
(a) With hand-held tester
(1) Connect the hand-held tester to the DLC3.
(2) Select the tester menus: OBD/MOBD, ENGINE,
DATA LIST and A/T.
(3) Check A/T OIL TEMP.
(4) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature
reaches 46_C (115_F).
(b) Without hand-held tester (Using D shift indicator)
(1) Connect terminals between CG (4) and TC (13) of
the DLC3 using SST (09843-18040).
(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and
D every 1.5 seconds for six seconds.
(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter
comes on for two seconds. This indicates that the
fluid temperature check mode has been started.
(4) The D shift indicator will come on again when the
fluid temperature reaches 46_C (115_F) and will
blink when it exceeds 56_C (130_F).
(5) Allow the engine to idle unit the fluid temperature
reaches 46_C (115_F).

(c) For vehicles with air suspension (Using D shift indicator)
(1) Connect terminals between CG (4), OPA (11) and
TC (13) of the DLC3 using SST (09843-18040).
Terminal OPA is connected to prevent air suspension
height adjustment from occurring when the vehicle
is lifted off the ground with the engine running.
(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and
D at 1.5 seconds interval for six seconds.
(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter
comes on for two seconds. This indicates that the
fluid temperature check mode has been started.
(4) The D shift indicator comes on again when the fluid
temperature reaches 46_C (115_F) and will blink
when it exceeds 56_C (130_F).
(5) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature
reaches 46_C (115_F).
6. FLUID LEVEL CHECK
NOTICE:
The fluid temperature must be between 46_C (115_F) and
56_C (130_F) to accurately check the fluid level.
(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
(b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
_ If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7
_ If fluid comes out, wait until the over-flow slows to
a trickle and proceed to step 8.
7. TRANSMISSION REFILL
(a) Install the overflow plug.
(b) Stop the engine.
(c) Remove the refill plug.
(d) Add 0.4 liters (0.42 US qts, 0.35 Imp. qts) of fluid.
(e) Allow the engine to idle and wait for 10 seconds.
(f) Proceed to step 6.
8. COMPLETE
(a) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket.
(b) Stop the engine.
(c) Install the refill plug with a new gasket.
(d) Install the transmission case cover with the two bolts.
Torque:
20 Nm (205 kgfcm, 15 ftlbf) for overflow plug
39 Nm (400 kgfcm, 29 ftlbf) for refill plug
The following 2 users liked this post by bradland:
Catalina45 (08-30-19), LexRex (08-30-19)
Old 09-05-19, 09:30 AM
Forbidden
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Update

hurricane past right by us and we thankfully had no issues besides the usual panic of everyone trying to get last minute supplies.

The problem had gotten better that first time I added fluid but now it is back the way it was. I kept topping up the fluid and now I think I have added too much. So I will be draining all of the fluid out of the pan and refill with the 2 quarts it says the pan holds. My question is when I drain the pan should I let it sit for a while with the Drain plug off or should I put the plug back on as soon as it stops draining in the form of a stream Or is there any other suggestions that you guys may have

thanks again
Old 09-10-19, 06:58 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Ignore post #37, has nothing to do with your 2001 A650E transmission. The correct fluid is T-IV (not WS) and the correct level is anywhere between the 2 lines marked HOT, when the transmission is fully warmed up with the engine running and parked on a level surface. A dry fill of the transmission takes 8.9L, while a drain and refill is 1.8L. Therefore, there is a significant amount of fluid stored inside the transmission that doesn't come out during a drain.

I drain and refill my A650E transmission every 2nd or 3rd oil change (every 16000-24000kms). By leaving the drain bolt unplugged for an hour or 2, it only drains 1.6L, not 1.8L as the drain+refill spec shows in the manual. I pour the entirety of two 1L T-IV bottles into the dipstick hole, and then pour the old fluid back into the empty bottles, filling both to the 800mL line, so that's how I know it was only 1.6L.

I don't know how much fluid is required to take it from the upper hot line down to the lower hot line, and I don't know if overfilling will result in more coming out during a drain or if it stays inside the transmission elsewhere. For science, you should try overfilling the transmission by 1L, then measuring how much comes out of the drain plug after several hours of waiting. If only 1.6-1.8L comes out when you were expecting 2.8L to come out, then you know the remaining 1L went to wherever the 7.1L that normally doesn't drain out is stored. Which means you'll have to run the engine a bit to circulate the excess fluid back to the drain pan..
Old 09-11-19, 12:50 AM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Most of the oil in the auto is in the torque converter .
That is why if you just drain the pan you have to do it about 3 millions times to replace all the fluid !!
I have just done the transmission fluid on my LS430 and being a 2002 it was a bit easier as it has dipstick .
I simply remove the line from the right hand side of the radiator and I have two clear bottles ready with a mark at one litre .
I have someone start the engine while I'm holding the line so that it fills the bottle and when it gets close to the one litre mark they turn the engine off .
I then pour one litre of new type 4 fluid down the dipstick tube .
I then empty the old fluid out and go again...one litre out and one litre in .
I keep going until the fluid coming out is nice and red and clean like the new fluid going in .
Generally you will need at least 10 litre's for this to happen so 3 four litre packs are required.
Doing it this way has heaps of benefits .
For a start you absolutely definitely know what type of fluid is going in it .
It also absolutely replaces all the fluid in your transmission in one go .
You are doing no damage as this is how the transmission normally operates .
This process costs NOTHING over the price of the oil .
It does require two people but only takes about 40 minutes .
I have done it on my own but its a little bit more tricky for the oil out bit , I have a bit of hose with a joiner on it to make the line a bit longer to be sure the fluid coming out goes into the bottle .
It's not rocket surgery so anybody could do it .
As a note my car had done 183,000 kilometers [ 114,375 miles ] and I'm pretty sure it had not been done before .
My auto now changes much nicerer and the car accelerates a bit better .
Always worth doing .
sha4000 (09-11-19)
Old 09-25-19, 06:16 AM
BillyBaroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 LS430 transmission issue, wont go into R when cold.

Hi everyone, Just tagging into this thread. I have a similar issue with my 2002 LS430 with 186k (original owner). When cold occasionally the car wont go into reverse, this was in the last 3 months. I hadn't used the car for 3 days and yesterday when I took it to do some errands pulled into a parking place. When returning to car it wouldn't go into reverse, drive yes. I finally asked a couple men walking thru the parking lot to push me out, they were nice enough and helped me out. I drove off and in drive all was normal. When I got home(about 10 miles) I decided to try reverse in front of my house. It worked so it seems like it's only when cold. Sorry I'm long winded, Any suggestions????

Bill
Old 09-25-19, 03:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyBaroo
Hi everyone, Just tagging into this thread. I have a similar issue with my 2002 LS430 with 186k (original owner). When cold occasionally the car wont go into reverse, this was in the last 3 months. I hadn't used the car for 3 days and yesterday when I took it to do some errands pulled into a parking place. When returning to car it wouldn't go into reverse, drive yes. I finally asked a couple men walking thru the parking lot to push me out, they were nice enough and helped me out. I drove off and in drive all was normal. When I got home(about 10 miles) I decided to try reverse in front of my house. It worked so it seems like it's only when cold. Sorry I'm long winded, Any suggestions????

Bill
Sounds like “morning sickness”. If it’s fine during warmup the first option is to do a complete drain and refill (NO FLUSH). If no positive results it’s time to visit a reputable trans shop or Lexus for a $99 diagnostic and leave it overnight so that they can check when cold. Good luck and let us know how you make out. PS. What color is your fluid? and did you check the fluid level after it was completely warmed up?
Old 09-25-19, 03:51 PM
BillyBaroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does right, LOL . Fluid was just drained and filled a few weeks ago. Color is red. Thanks, off to the dealer this week and a rent a car for a day or so. I'll post with updates.
Bocatrip (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 05:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyBaroo
It does right, LOL . Fluid was just drained and filled a few weeks ago. Color is red. Thanks, off to the dealer this week and a rent a car for a day or so. I'll post with updates.
01-03 LS430 transmissions are quite robust and rarely troublesome. Hopefully you’ll get it sorted out at the dealer.
Old 02-21-20, 05:58 AM
Forbidden
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Update

well after several drain and fills it seems that the problem has been resolved. I did what standamvan suggested and opened the bolt and let the fluid drain and then poured 2 quarts back in. It took a while cause I don’t do a lot of driving with the car. But I must say thank you to all that have helped with the info provided

Quick Reply: Transmission issues