Thoughts on this CL ad

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 12:44 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by pmarr
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...964738118.html

Is this a reasonable deal? I have seen the car and driven and it is fabulous. Just wanted this forum's take before I consider an offer on it. Thanks!
Well? What happened?
Old 09-28-19, 02:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Unless you are an enthusiast who can do all your own work, maybe consider following the advice of buying a car with no issues, Prices are different for each make and model vehicle. An older Toyota work van may set you back $200 for a set of tires while a set a tires for your Bugatti may run $42,000.00 for a replacement set of 4.. Buying an expensive when new old vehicle may require expensive now repairs. Do some research on whatever car you may consider buying as there is no universal standard for all cars.... But, yes cost to bring car to "clean condition" (very nice body and paint, no dents, no rust, etc, no mechanical issues whatsoever, nice interior) must be deducted from the price of a car with issues. Cars with higher miles on the odometer bring less than cars with lower miles on the odometer. Do a lot of research on the interweb (used car values, reliability scores, cost to maintain, cost of expected repairs and required maintenance costs, etc. etc. etc.) before spending your hard-earned money on any car so your regrets may be less later on.... (edmunds dot com has a data base -Edmunds TMV- reflecting actual reported sales prices of used vehicles and reviews of vehicles.
Plenty of people out there who no longer have the money they had for a car and now have to scramble for bus fare because they didn't think it through ahead of time and bought some pile of shiny pretty looking metal they cannot drive due to issues they now cannot afford to remedy....
This is pretty good advice. When I got the LS430 I was so impressed (in Oct. 2016) I wanted to get another one to have. Unless we are Jay Leno, in reality, that's not very bright. Here's why. If we accept a LS430 goes 200k almost 99% guaranteed, and 300k likely, it's a pig on gasoline (now that my commute is 100% city driving I see it), how many of these can you drive when you pick up a 10 y.o. one with 60-80k? You'd have to be 4 years old to be able to take 2 of them 440k miles combined. Time will likely disable the vehicles, not miles. I bet very few would even take 1 to 300k, although 200k is possible. Anybody here drive a car to 300k? (I have my 1998 Nissan and besides rust it won't stop going)

I'm over the LS430 it's old at this point. I've got my eyes on S63 AMGs. This completely illustrates what you say. You've got to be able to take jobs that dealers charge $4,000 for, and DIY for $500. There's a reason why $130k cars are for sale for $40k 7 years later.

In the above respect, the LS430 is a bit of an anomaly. What it has going for it is that it's so tame and boring to drive, that there were specimens that were more or less 8-10 y.o. and never abused. simply a well to do person bought them, serviced at the dealership, garaged, and drove few miles. A perfect knock around car for the 2nd owner. my .02
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (09-28-19)