LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 intermittent no crank/start

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 04:03 PM
reozone
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry 2001 LS430 intermittent no crank/start

I know there are similar threads out there, but I’d like to get some advice from the forum nevertheless. The car has 294k miles (I would sure like to get to 300k!). Original starter was replaced 3 years ago by yours truly with an Autozone lifetime (yeah, I know. Shouldn’t have bought Autozone). I told myself never again. Worst possible place to put a starter. Well, it went out again in June. After beating myself up for buying Autozone, I decided to bite the bullet and swap it out again (Autozone, since it was lifetime). The car started fine for 2-1/2 months. Now, on 3 different occasions over the last 2 weeks, you turn the key, and nothing. On all 3 occasions, nothing I did could get it to start. I tested engine ground, neutral safety switch (toggling it between park and neutral), starter relay (you can hear it click. Once per start attempt), ignition switch (starter relay wouldn’t click if the switch was bad. Using jumpers makes no difference. On all 3 occasions (twice after towing the vehicle and once trying it the next day), it started right up and acted perfectly fine. Today, after sitting all night in a parking lot and trying unsuccessfully for 1 hour to get it started, I towed it ½ mile with a rope back to my driveway. I got in, turned the key, and it started! Several times in a row. An hour later, I went out and it wouldn’t crank again. This no crank situation seems to come out of the blue and go away just as mysteriously. Is the starter bad again? I can’t tap on it and I can’t jumper across the solenoid (like traditionally designed starter locations) to test it. Loose connection at the starter solenoid? Maybe. But to suddenly fix itself for no apparent reason doesn’t make sense either. Any suggestions before I pull the intake manifold again? My wife says to junk it. Despite some rust issues, it’s too fine a ride to do that just yet.
Old 09-22-19, 05:55 PM
bbtri
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you check for corrosion inside the battery terminals? Your symptoms were a random occurrence on my LS400, then one day the battery failed without warning and when I replaced it the starter problem went away.
Old 09-22-19, 06:42 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bbtri
Did you check for corrosion inside the battery terminals? Your symptoms were a random occurrence on my LS400, then one day the battery failed without warning and when I replaced it the starter problem went away.
Originally Posted by reozone
I know there are similar threads out there, but I’d like to get some advice from the forum nevertheless. The car has 294k miles (I would sure like to get to 300k!). Original starter was replaced 3 years ago by yours truly with an Autozone lifetime (yeah, I know. Shouldn’t have bought Autozone). I told myself never again. Worst possible place to put a starter. Well, it went out again in June. After beating myself up for buying Autozone, I decided to bite the bullet and swap it out again (Autozone, since it was lifetime). The car started fine for 2-1/2 months. Now, on 3 different occasions over the last 2 weeks, you turn the key, and nothing. On all 3 occasions, nothing I did could get it to start. I tested engine ground, neutral safety switch (toggling it between park and neutral), starter relay (you can hear it click. Once per start attempt), ignition switch (starter relay wouldn’t click if the switch was bad. Using jumpers makes no difference. On all 3 occasions (twice after towing the vehicle and once trying it the next day), it started right up and acted perfectly fine. Today, after sitting all night in a parking lot and trying unsuccessfully for 1 hour to get it started, I towed it ½ mile with a rope back to my driveway. I got in, turned the key, and it started! Several times in a row. An hour later, I went out and it wouldn’t crank again. This no crank situation seems to come out of the blue and go away just as mysteriously. Is the starter bad again? I can’t tap on it and I can’t jumper across the solenoid (like traditionally designed starter locations) to test it. Loose connection at the starter solenoid? Maybe. But to suddenly fix itself for no apparent reason doesn’t make sense either. Any suggestions before I pull the intake manifold again? My wife says to junk it. Despite some rust issues, it’s too fine a ride to do that just yet.
May be a connection somewhere, arced and/or worn contact, agree with bbtri battery cables may be best place to start....
Old 09-23-19, 06:38 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but more and more it seems that random issues are solved by fixing issues with the battery or cables. I would definitely rule these out.

Two random issues that I've seen personally, which may or may not help:
1. I had a random no start on a Grand Am once that ended up being a starter solenoid that was either loose or not making good contact
2. A relative has an Avalon that had random no starts, and it ended up being a worn shifter bushing. The car was just barely in neutral when the shifter appeared to be in park.
Old 10-04-19, 08:51 AM
reozone
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all of your suggestions. After a couple more no-starts and further troubleshooting, I decided to take the plunge and replace the starter once again. I was able to convince my local Autozone to not only provide free intake manifold gaskets but upgrade the starter to a new, not rebuilt Duralast Gold starter. That was 3 days ago and not a hiccup since. Keeping my fingers crossed. 300k, here we come!
The following users liked this post:
430SLOwner (10-04-19)
Old 10-04-19, 09:01 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks for all of your suggestions. After a couple more no-starts and further troubleshooting, I decided to take the plunge and replace the starter once again. I was able to convince my local Autozone to not only provide free intake manifold gaskets but upgrade the starter to a new, not rebuilt Duralast Gold starter. That was 3 days ago and not a hiccup since. Keeping my fingers crossed. 300k, here we come!
Am very glad to read your good news. And, sorry you had the headaches before. Hope you may go to 400,000 without an issue!
Old 10-04-19, 09:04 AM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Click the link below and place the order today. This way you'll have the part when the Duralast "Gold" dies. Notice I said when not if...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...373857&jsn=451
Old 10-04-19, 12:54 PM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good, glad it's working out for you! Hey, you should do a how-to and share your tips and tricks on replacing the starter! You've probably done it more times than most. Please...