LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Local LS430 UL: Good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 03:56 PM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Local LS430 UL: Good buy?

Hi guys, this is my first post on LS forums as I am from the ISF forums! I have always been a fan of big, wide, luxury cars..especially with ones that are reliable. I have someone local to me who is selling a 2001 LS 430 UL in silver. It isnt in the best of condition both inside and out, so I need your guys' opinions on whether it is worth his asking price.

Here are things that I noticed were wrong:

- it needs both bumpers repainted (no rust that I saw)
- rear passenger seat does not recline but driver passenger is fine
- telescope steering wheel does not work so steering wheel is fixed in the highest position
- vents in center dash are broken/ripped out
- tear in rear driver passenger seat

engine and transmission seem to be running smooth and I no codes when I scanned with the OBD2. when braking the car seems to sway, I thought it could be warped rotors or bad pads but owner assured me they were both changed about 8 months ago and the car isnt their daily driver. The car has 160k miles with a clean title and owner is asking 2500.

vents are missing

rear passenger recline does not work (makes noise when button is pressed but will not move)

rips on the bottom cushion

Old 09-23-19, 04:08 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

It sure is rough - many LS 430 models have essentially perfect interiors at that mileage. As far as pricing - if it was nice, it would be worth about $6000 or so with 160,000 miles, so deduct the cost of needed repairs to determine its value.
Old 09-23-19, 07:19 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

All I see are reasons NOT to buy it, no matter the price...
The following 4 users liked this post by bradland:
aypues (09-24-19), LeX2K (09-23-19), Marc08EX (09-23-19), rmawyer (09-24-19)
Old 09-23-19, 09:08 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

That's a no from me.
Old 09-24-19, 05:45 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

That’s a hard pass from me.
Old 09-24-19, 06:58 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

This would be an interesting clean up to see how good you can get it. Other than the bumpers how is the rest of the paint? You can't always tell everything from pictures but for $2500 it would be a fun project.

On ebay right now you can get the rear seat for around $500 shipped myabe the seller would do a better deal since you'd be buying both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2006-L...temCondition=4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2006-L...temCondition=4

You can also find the center vents for $150 shipped you may even find them cheaper if you buy it with the screen and resell it seperately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/01-03-Lexus...8AAOSwhqBdP407

Get the bumpers painted for what $500? You're going to find more problems than just comsmetic, if the lower control arm bushings haven't been replaced they're past due. If air suspension isn't a big deal for you you should probably factor in a coil spring conversion because the air system will have problems eventually. A lot of interior cleaning later you'd be in $4000 and a lot of time but it could be worth it if you want a PROJECT. Above all you should be very comfortable working on cars, this isn't a car for someone who wants to take it to an indy to fix up.
The following users liked this post:
Ram3n (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 08:05 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

I bet that interior smells like a wet dog. If it were like $1000 ... might be worth the cost to deep-clean that, but otherwise hell no.
Ram3n (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 08:47 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram3n
Hi guys, this is my first post on LS forums as I am from the ISF forums! I have always been a fan of big, wide, luxury cars..especially with ones that are reliable. I have someone local to me who is selling a 2001 LS 430 UL in silver. It isnt in the best of condition both inside and out, so I need your guys' opinions on whether it is worth his asking price.
- telescope steering wheel does not work so steering wheel is fixed in the highest position
engine and transmission seem to be running smooth and I no codes when I scanned with the OBD2. when braking the car seems to sway, I thought it could be warped rotors or bad pads but owner assured me they were both changed about 8 months ago and the car isnt their daily driver. The car has 160k miles with a clean title and owner is asking 2500.
vents are missing
rear passenger recline does not work (makes noise when button is pressed but will not move)
rips on the bottom cushion
Old luxury cars with issues do not have much demand and therefore not much value. The seller knows this. The seller can save insurance, expense, registration expense, tags expense, and etc. by selling it. While seller says brakes were done 8 months ago, when you drove it you witnessed the braking issue first hand. (Maybe current owner did work thinking it would fix the issue and it didn't. Maybe his memory is faulty.) If seller has been trying to sell for any time, seller has had every possible buyer choose to walk away rather than make a deal and seller may be coming to reality. If one liked the car, could do all own work, and didn't mind the risk, one might politely go over all the deficiencies with the buyer [after putting it up on a rack to determine that there is no insurmountable issue(s) with undercarriage and etc] and point out how the costs to repair make the car not so attractive even though you think it may be a project you could tackle if you had money to do so after purchase. Remind seller of his savings by not having to insure and etc, if sold. Then politely offer $500 letting seller know you are not being insulting, it is because you know it will take thousands to put the car in the shape you would like to be safe and if seller will take the $500 it will go to a good home. If he squawks, let him know you appreciate his time, and that you are looking at another car a seller is willing to let go at less than the $500 price you are offering, for a car which needs less work, but you thought, since you think you may like the possibilities and challenges of the 2001 LS 430 more than the other car, you should at least try to see if seller would deal before you give up on it and go and buy the other car. And if he takes it, use money to resolve the swaying issue and other safety issues and drive it for a while to make sure it may be worthwhile to do any cosmetic repairs. If you can't do your own work, may wish to consider passing....
Ram3n (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 11:33 AM
bud13
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A clean title is most likely the only thing clean in this car. I wonder if the rear seats still work or the rear AC works.? So many things to check that are not cosmetic have to be looked after. If the owner neglected the interior and exterior, what kind of care did the running gear receive? Unless you have unlimited funds, I would pass on this one. There are some great bargains out there yet. Keep looking.
Ram3n (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 11:54 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Happened upon this thread. While the car may be enticing, my concern as mentioned, would be major expenses! Consider all the cash you'll put into trying to make this car decent, take that and the $2500 and find something with minimal issues.
Ram3n (09-25-19)
Old 09-27-19, 03:26 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Nothing wrong with looking for a do-it-yourself project but that's the worst looking LS I've seen here.

When I try to picture the owner who would allow his car to look like that I think of a short, 320 pound guy with severe body odour, breath smelling like cheese and cigarettes, greasy hair and a fake Rolex watch.
Old 09-27-19, 06:40 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Who works at the local recycling center or coal mine
Old 09-27-19, 07:00 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

If the car looks like that, imagine the maintenance record. When was the last time the oil was changed? Spark plugs?

Probably need several grand and a lot of time to fix the problems that can be seen, so for me I would rather find a $5-6K car that is in better shape and maintenance, even with more miles than this one. Even if offered at $1K, to get the interior cleaned, fixed the broken stuffs like the center vents, and get the maintenance updated (brakes, oil, fluids) so I can drive it without any worry, that will take a good amount of efforts and time.

The original interior of my 98 Land Cruiser with 245K miles looks better than this one.

I would say that is a parts car. Sorry...
Old 09-28-19, 12:36 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram3n

vents are missing rear passenger recline does not work (makes noise when button is pressed but will not move) rips on the bottom cushion
Well? What happened?
Old 09-28-19, 06:37 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Well? What happened?

One post, now gone.