LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Purchase Input/Feedback '05 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 11:12 AM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Think I'm going to keep an eye out for another LS430 due to the overall cost of ownership. Otherwise, I may just go back to Volvo for seat comfort and ride quality.

What do you think about this one? Aurotrader

Even though this dealer got a hold of it, seems oil changed every 5k and timing belt 90k service done in 2016, miles seem relatively low. Lot of people seem to like to have the backup cam which it has and the smaller wheels I prefer. Leather looks decent. I don't know if there is any suspension that should be of concern on it. I hear the 2004 rides softer than the 2005+ if anyone knows, though I'm sure it's subtle, long trips reveal such things. I got in a newer ES350 '14 seems pretty good, then 3 hours later, not so much, quiet firm seat compared to the early ES and GS anyways which I still have access to and own a 2002 GS.

Last edited by Dampfwalze; 10-22-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 12:16 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Dampfwalze
Think I'm going to keep an eye out for another LS430 due to the overall cost of ownership. Otherwise, I may just go back to Volvo for seat comfort and ride quality.

Even though this dealer got a hold of it, seems oil changed every 5k and timing belt 90k service done in 2016, miles seem relatively low. Lot of people seem to like to have the backup cam which it has and the smaller wheels I prefer. Leather looks decent. I don't know if there is any suspension that should be of concern on it. I hear the 2004 rides softer than the 2005+ if anyone knows, though I'm sure it's subtle, long trips reveal such things. I got in a newer ES350 '14 seems pretty good, then 3 hours later, not so much, quiet firm seat compared to the early ES and GS anyways which I still have access to and own a 2002 GS.
See it was put into use April 2004 so if built around that time ... https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs. and (may have to open this next link in a new window): blob:https://drivers.lexus.com/2527a...5-b4603aba8684 Like that it is ML package so you do not have to worry about future air strut expense. Nice that the TB is done. Looks priced to sell (if all good and car clean or outstanding condition) but you should have some room to negotiate lower price. Would say check it out. If all checks out good and car is in clean or outstanding condition, let the forum know how you enjoyed driving it home....
Old 10-22-19, 12:50 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
See it was put into use April 2004 so if built around that time ... https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs. and (may have to open this next link in a new window): blob:https://drivers.lexus.com/2527a...5-b4603aba8684 Like that it is ML package so you do not have to worry about future air strut expense. Nice that the TB is done. Looks priced to sell (if all good and car clean or outstanding condition) but you should have some room to negotiate lower price. Would say check it out. If all checks out good and car is in clean or outstanding condition, let the forum know how you enjoyed driving it home....
Also, when you or your agent goes to look at the car, find out what times and days they will be there, but do not let them know when you are coming so you can experience a cold start and car's operation from a cold start. (When looking at a car I always check fluids before starting it. One time when I looked at some car, the engine was already warm. Car looked and drove great. But, did not make a deal then because I did not like that the car had been driven just before I got there. Told owner I would think about it, then a few days later called when I was a block away and asked if I could see it again. Beat the owner to the car before he could warm it up and then test drove it again from a cold start. Trans slipped and engine ran rough until car warmed up. Glad I was skeptical....)
The following users liked this post:
Dampfwalze (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 03:03 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Also, when you or your agent goes to look at the car, find out what times and days they will be there, but do not let them know when you are coming so you can experience a cold start and car's operation from a cold start. (When looking at a car I always check fluids before starting it. One time when I looked at some car, the engine was already warm. Car looked and drove great. But, did not make a deal then because I did not like that the car had been driven just before I got there. Told owner I would think about it, then a few days later called when I was a block away and asked if I could see it again. Beat the owner to the car before he could warm it up and then test drove it again from a cold start. Trans slipped and engine ran rough until car warmed up. Glad I was skeptical....)
Someone mentioned using a nationwide search/inspection service, but I don't recall where I read that or if he said who it was. If there's any reputable companies etc your can recommend that would be better than having to drive there to see it myself. I was a little disappointed with last inspection I had, though they had it the night before, they must not have driven it at all bc no mention of the alignment being way out and steering vibration which was the case with the one in San Antonio, learning more about this car, it seems it could've been more than just the wheel balance.

Btw, is transmission issue somewhat common with this or due to heavy footed driver's? I noticed it preferred a more relaxed acceleration, though still plenty quick. There was a 2006 turned in at Lexus dealer here and got back to me after the check engine light was fixed. It had transmission issue, not in the records or anything, but he said I probably should avoid it. It's still for sale.

Last edited by Dampfwalze; 10-22-19 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 10:57 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Someone mentioned using a nationwide search/inspection service, but I don't recall where I read that or if he said who it was. If there's any reputable companies etc your can recommend that would be better than having to drive there to see it myself. I was a little disappointed with last inspection I had, though they had it the night before, they must not have driven it at all bc no mention of the alignment being way out and steering vibration which was the case with the one in San Antonio, learning more about this car, it seems it could've been more than just the wheel balance.

Btw, is transmission issue somewhat common with this or due to heavy footed driver's? I noticed it preferred a more relaxed acceleration, though still plenty quick. There was a 2006 turned in at Lexus dealer here and got back to me after the check engine light was fixed. It had transmission issue, not in the records or anything, but he said I probably should avoid it. It's still for sale.
Early 2004 was known for some trans issues which understand were resolved into the build. Saw that April was first service period for the car in question. So, if built near that time would hope it not be effected. And, as you know, 2004s came to market fall of calendar year 2003 reveal. (Some people on the forums recommend go with 05 and 06 only. Others say 06 only. And, some say 04 is fine.) But, while 6 speed transmission in general are not noted for problems (other than early 04 builds), if one was severely abused (neutral drops, burnouts, power shifts, reverse to drive drops without stopping, and etc.) who knows, but such treatment quite unlikely with most LS 430 original owners. And, do not think a somewhat heavy foot is the same as abuse. As far as eyes and inspection, unless you know someone personally whom you trust, no one is likely to view a car as you shall. So, unfortunately, it is a trip, or just being patient and watching for a suitable one nearby home to come on the market.
Old 10-23-19, 02:54 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not know if you are still looking but here are some listings from searchtempest.com that searches all the craigslist sites. All these cars are private party and fairly clean cars the saddle brown interior car is the most wild looking one but it seems they want a lot of money for it.

120k 2006 LS430 with rare saddle brown interior.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...998323190.html

57k 2005 LS430

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto...993296846.html

133k 2006 LS430

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto...000398940.html

133k 2006 LS430

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ct...002679767.html
The following users liked this post:
Dampfwalze (10-23-19)
Old 10-24-19, 02:26 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Think I'm going to keep an eye out for another LS430 ...
Have you seen this one at a Dallas Lexus dealership? https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/58494904 or dealer's site https://www.northsidelexus.com/inven...n36f865045611/
(Dealer may be ready to negotiate lower as has been in inventory for at least nearly 30 days and may have been priced too optimistically.)
Like the idea of buying from a Lexus dealership as opposed to buying from an independent used car dealer....
And, have had luck buying cars from new car dealerships by calling them and asking to speak with the "internet new car sales manager" when looking at new or "internet used car sales manager" when looking at used and saying I saw it on the internet and then asking for dealership's "best internet price" from whomever operator gives me. In one instance, when I arrived at a Merc dealership to complete the deal on a 4 year old SL, the salesperson who approached me when I was looking at the car, which was on the showroom floor, told me there was no way it would ever sell me the car for the price I said I was quoted and pointed out the price painted on the car's windshield as being substantially higher. But after seeing the "internet sales manager" I spoke with on the phone, he honored the "internet price" we agreed to over the phone. (I made the call on the last day of the month and came in the same day to complete the deal.) In another instance, was negotiating a price on a new car with an "internet salesperson" who provided quotes and negotiated price, After going back and forth told the "internet salesperson" would not be willing to pay what she was asking but would pay x. (Had researched price to arrive at x.) She replied that it would not happen. Thanked her and wished her well. A week later she met my price.
On the used Merc I nailed down the price with the "internet sales manager" on one call by basically asking at what price he would be willing to sell it to me in order to get me to come look at it that same day. On the new car, didn't mind waiting out the salesperson to fold because if the inventoried car we were negotiating on sold, dealership could just order another one.... And, I always treat each and every person in a dealership in an extremely courteous manner.
Old 10-24-19, 04:44 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Have you seen this one at a Dallas Lexus dealership? https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/58494904 or dealer's site https://www.northsidelexus.com/inven...n36f865045611/
(Dealer may be ready to negotiate lower as has been in inventory for at least nearly 30 days and may have been priced too optimistically.)
Like the idea of buying from a Lexus dealership as opposed to buying from an independent used car dealer....
And, have had luck buying cars from new car dealerships by calling them and asking to speak with the "internet new car sales manager" when looking at new or "internet used car sales manager" when looking at used and saying I saw it on the internet and then asking for dealership's "best internet price" from whomever operator gives me. In one instance, when I arrived at a Merc dealership to complete the deal on a 4 year old SL, the salesperson who approached me when I was looking at the car, which was on the showroom floor, told me there was no way it would ever sell me the car for the price I said I was quoted and pointed out the price painted on the car's windshield as being substantially higher. But after seeing the "internet sales manager" I spoke with on the phone, he honored the "internet price" we agreed to over the phone. (I made the call on the last day of the month and came in the same day to complete the deal.) In another instance, was negotiating a price on a new car with an "internet salesperson" who provided quotes and negotiated price, After going back and forth told the "internet salesperson" would not be willing to pay what she was asking but would pay x. (Had researched price to arrive at x.) She replied that it would not happen. Thanked her and wished her well. A week later she met my price.
On the used Merc I nailed down the price with the "internet sales manager" on one call by basically asking at what price he would be willing to sell it to me in order to get me to come look at it that same day. On the new car, didn't mind waiting out the salesperson to fold because if the inventoried car we were negotiating on sold, dealership could just order another one.... And, I always treat each and every person in a dealership in an extremely courteous manner.
Thanks. Yes, kindness goes a long way. I actually sorta know the internet special manager for this and contacted him when it was listed without pictures. It had a check engine light on he said and would get back to me. Later, text me saying it was a transmission issue and would probably be better to pass on this one. I have some means of transportation. It's too bad that Turo app has a pretty early age, car age, restriction. I would like to drive one of these on a long trip to see how it feels. I have been driving a newer ES 2014, and it felt good at first, but three hours in... Have upper back pain I've never felt in my life. It cuts out too much and pushes the shoulders too far forward, though subtle and never noticed driving an hour to and then back from work for over a week, but 4 hours straight is another story - give me my GS 300 back lol, which I still have also. I'm hoping these LSs are of the same comfort era as the 1999 ES, but anyways... If I find one and buy, I'll let you all know how it turns out etc... Thanks again.
Old 10-24-19, 11:01 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Thanks. Yes, kindness goes a long way. I actually sorta know the internet special manager for this and contacted him when it was listed without pictures. It had a check engine light on he said and would get back to me. Later, text me saying it was a transmission issue and would probably be better to pass on this one. I have some means of transportation. It's too bad that Turo app has a pretty early age, car age, restriction. I would like to drive one of these on a long trip to see how it feels. I have been driving a newer ES 2014, and it felt good at first, but three hours in... Have upper back pain I've never felt in my life. It cuts out too much and pushes the shoulders too far forward, though subtle and never noticed driving an hour to and then back from work for over a week, but 4 hours straight is another story - give me my GS 300 back lol, which I still have also. I'm hoping these LSs are of the same comfort era as the 1999 ES, but anyways... If I find one and buy, I'll let you all know how it turns out etc... Thanks again.
https://www.sewelllexus-dallas.com/s...aspx?Year=2006 Just came in. Original owner 81,211 mile 2006 LS 430 ML VIN #: JTHBN36F865031370 FLINT MICA w/ASH bought at Sewell Lexus of Dallas when new. Always serviced at Sewell Lexus of Dallas. Traded in at Sewell Lexus of Dallas for another Lexus. (all according to Brent 214-305-6102) Sewell Lexus of Dallas may be asking a premium price.. But, this LS 430 may be very exceptional LS. If someone absolutely must have it, and is willing to reach, this may be one to check out.