LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Purchase Input/Feedback '05 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 07:39 AM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Purchase Input/Feedback '05 LS430

Looking for some feedback on my first purchase of an LS that I want to last a long time. I could purchase something new like an ES, but after test drives, I think the old ES and Avalon style from around 1999-2004 ride better. I’m hoping that to be the case with an ’04-’06 LS. I have a lot of neck issues and enjoy driving long trips and the GS300 that I currently own is just killing me, though it’s greatly improved with new rear struts, but still not as good as our Toyota Highlander ’07, which I wouldn’t equate to excellent high cruiser.

The guy is asking about $9K for 2005 with 96K miles

Waterpump, timing belt, and tensioner were done in ’16 at about 70K miles per Lexus records. The guy bought the car it looks like on trade in at the dealer at 76k miles about two years ago. He had all the fluids changed after that and does regular oil change etc… He said he hadn’t been driving it much, but in a recent longer trip he noticed the driver’s mirror wouldn’t adjust until he adjusted the passenger mirror then switched back - also the cigarette outlet does not work – could be a fuse. Actually be in an area that gets street flooding I’m wondering if it could be electrical corrosion if it got a little water in the floor, but I’m not sure where the wiring runs on this car. I was going have an independent mechanic check it out as it seems like a relatively good deal. He did mention some cracking in the paint on the rear bumper and few dings on the passenger door. It has no ‘reported’ wrecks. Also the coin tray doesn't close all the way - common issue he said.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dampfwalze; 09-30-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 08:03 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Service records are needed. That will help tell most of the story as well as an independent inspection. Good luck.
Old 09-30-19, 10:48 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 114 Posts

If you suspect its been in a flood, pull up the carpet by the passengers footwell and look at the floorboards
Old 09-30-19, 01:58 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

All sounds good.....mirror and lighter arent huge repairs. Inspection is a great idea and will clear up many of your concerns. Good luck
Old 09-30-19, 03:33 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Wouldn't fix his coin tray? What else did he ignore? Get an inspection by a competent mechanic....
Old 09-30-19, 04:29 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Wouldn't fix his coin tray? What else did he ignore? Get an inspection by a competent mechanic....
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes, I did locate one that was 5/5 stars on both Yelp and Google, seems very reputable since i don't live in the area, but the car has great mechanical records and he's kept the oil changes in course as well as flushing all fluids when he bought it I think thru a friend on a trade in at Lexus. The first owner had every service done based on time instead of mileage, so I was glad to see that.
Old 10-01-19, 09:15 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Anyone know if paint chipping on the edge of the hood normal for these - does it have much impact on price or should be expected due to the age? I've never looked into the cost of getting something like that fixed, but I'm guessing about $1k minimum as i assume they respray the hood etc.
Old 10-01-19, 10:56 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dampfwalze
Anyone know if paint chipping on the edge of the hood normal for these - does it have much impact on price or should be expected due to the age? I've never looked into the cost of getting something like that fixed, but I'm guessing about $1k minimum as i assume they respray the hood etc.
Are you talking about rock chips? (Does your GS300 have chips on the edge of its hood?) Did you look at the car in person? May you post picture(s)?
Old 10-02-19, 05:14 AM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Are you talking about rock chips? (Does your GS300 have chips on the edge of its hood?) Did you look at the car in person? May you post picture(s)?
I'm traveling a little ways to see it soon. He mentioned it. So it was on my mind. i could always wait for another if it's bad, but I thought could be normal. Haven't seen many of these if any 430s up close. Can't see it in the pictures, but my GS body is in rough shape, but you wouldn't see it in pictures. My GS had the hood repainted and wasn't done right, when I bought it from my an acquaintance over a decade ago, so it's chipped, faded, terrible,
Old 10-02-19, 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I find the price too high. It isn't what the web says it's what I perceive that I can do with $9,000. I think carfax says my car is $4,xxx? Again I feel that's too low but how I "feel" is irrelevant. (2006 ML with 121k excellent condition)

I know there is an obsession with carfax and records on the forum, but on cars this old (the newest are now 14 years old) imho time not miles is the enemy, and they are supposed to be all day long 200k cars and likely 300k. So what difference does it make, a "well maintained" car goes 600k, instead of 300k? Will anyone live long enough to drive that many miles on this car?

Long story short I say too expensive, offer him $6800. This is all subjective.
Old 10-02-19, 05:56 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

LOL - the coin tray probably gets used as often as the tape deck. We live in a world of digital payment and debit cards. Not fixing the coin tray means nothing IMO - if the service records show he was maintaining what leads to the true reliability of the car, that's all that matters. It's a 15 year old car - things are going to stop working as intended.
Old 10-02-19, 08:06 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dampfwalze
I'm traveling a little ways to see it soon. He mentioned it. So it was on my mind. i could always wait for another if it's bad, but I thought could be normal. Haven't seen many of these if any 430s up close. Can't see it in the pictures, but my GS body is in rough shape, but you wouldn't see it in pictures. My GS had the hood repainted and wasn't done right, when I bought it from my an acquaintance over a decade ago, so it's chipped, faded, terrible,
Many LS430s are still in pristine condition. The car has to be clean or outstanding
  • Outstanding: Exceptional mechanical, exterior and interior condition; requires no reconditioning. Vehicle is in exceptional mechanical, exterior and interior condition with no visible wear; it requires no reconditioning. Paint will have a glossy appearance. Vehicle has no mechanical and/or cosmetic problems and has a clean engine compartment. Exterior and interior are free of any damage. Tires are in nearly new condition. Vehicle has a clean title and has the ability to pass an emissions inspection.
  • Clean: Some normal wear but no major mechanical or cosmetic problems; may require limited reconditioning. Vehicle shows some normal wear but has no major mechanical and/or cosmetic problems. Paint still has a glossy finish and may have slight scratches or dings. Some reconditioning may be needed. Interior will have minimal fading and wear. Tires have substantial tread remaining. Vehicle has a clean title and has the ability to pass an emissions inspection.
to have any chance of the seller getting close to what he is asking for the car you mentioned. Average or rough vehicles
  • Average: May have a few mechanical and/or cosmetic problems and may require a considerable amount of reconditioning. Vehicle may have a few mechanical and/or cosmetic problems and may require a considerable amount of reconditioning. Exterior paint has some dullness. Vehicle may have a considerable amount of scratches or dings. Interior material is slightly worn and faded. Tires have some usable tread remaining. Vehicle has a clean title and has the ability to pass an emissions inspection.
  • Rough: Several mechanical and/or cosmetic problems requiring significant repairs. Vehicle has several mechanical and/or cosmetic problems. Exterior and interior need significant repairs. Tires may need to be replaced. Vehicle may need minor repairs to pass an emissions inspection, but has a clean title.
should bring much less than what the seller is asking, Rough examples have little sale value. If the car was outstanding, it may likely have already sold. It may be likely potential buyers have walked away due to paint chipping and etc. as you described as some problems of this car. For the price seller is asking, car should be able to sit on a showroom floor. The one you describe sounds more like it may belong on the back lot. Wait for a fine example. About 25000 2005 LS430s were sold in the US when new. If you have the money this seller is asking for a car, wait til you find an outstanding example. If you want to deal on this one, subtract the cost to remedy each issue, check for flooding signs, have a good mechanic take a look before you pay your hard earned money. The way you describe the car indicates a price significantly less than buyer's asking price. The car you describe sounds closer to a $5000 average condition vehicle price when dealing with a private party. The seller is asking more than a dealer may consider as fair retail price for an outstanding LS430 2005 vehicle with 96000 miles. The car you describe is a far cry from outstanding.... The seller is asking way too much for this car with its paint problems and other issues you describe. That may be why the car is still for sale....

If it was in a flood, it is damaged and has little value and would just walk away....
  • Damaged: Major mechanical and/or body damage that may render it in non-safe running condition. Vehicle has major mechanical and/or body damage that may render it in non-safe running condition. Exterior and interior is damaged or worn. Tires need to be replaced. Vehicle may have a branded title (i.e. salvaged, flooded, frame damaged, etc.). Vehicle may require significant repairs to pass an emissions inspection.

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 10-02-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 10:37 AM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

Dare I say, my car has every single service record and all major/minor services completed. However, I have yet to replace the coin tray hook thing, so it sits about a half inch open. The car is always spotless inside and out, and I just haven't been bothered with the tray fix. I'm not entirely sure the coin tray is a good analysis on how the rest of the car was maintained.
Old 10-02-19, 02:19 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

The mechanic stated that the thing was I'm immaculate condition, he suggested a few things to do if they hadn't been done, but they have recently at the Lexus dealer. Only other thing he suggested was front brakes about 80% worn.

I'll take a closer look at the bumper in person - I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-02-19, 02:59 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LOL - the coin tray probably gets used as often as the tape deck. We live in a world of digital payment and debit cards. Not fixing the coin tray means nothing IMO - if the service records show he was maintaining what leads to the true reliability of the car, that's all that matters. It's a 15 year old car - things are going to stop working as intended.
Originally Posted by Vantage007
Dare I say, my car has every single service record and all major/minor services completed. However, I have yet to replace the coin tray hook thing, so it sits about a half inch open. The car is always spotless inside and out, and I just haven't been bothered with the tray fix. I'm not entirely sure the coin tray is a good analysis on how the rest of the car was maintained.
Originally Posted by FunFact
To me the cracked bumper paint is a bigger issue, as that tells me it was either hit or it was hit and replaced by a place that did a very mediocre job of painting. Which means that the car is definitely not worth that much, because you expect excellence at that price. OEM bumpers don’t crack like that, and neither do well-painted bumpers
Agree, agree, and agree....

Of course a non-working coin tray in and of itself may be no issue. And if irmckinley was looking at Vantage007s car to buy, the complete service record and outstanding appearance of 007s car may trump such a minor issue (which would likely be fixed already by 007 if he did decide to sell). However, OPs comments imply there may be significant issues with the 2005 LS430 vehicle he is asking about and about which FunFact hit the nail on the head. In addition to the bumper, OP has stated seller tells him hood is chipped around the edges. My fear would be similar to FunFact's that the 2005 LS430 may have been crashed and a crash is the possible cause of the paint damage of the hood. Still recommend OP have the car inspected by competent mechanic, if he feels he must see the car, as it may be inferred that OP may be a nice and trusting soul but can never be certain of a seller's character. A competent mechanic would know very quickly upon inspecting the car whether it was wrecked or in a flood as well as notice significant issues. Personally I would not waste my time to travel a distance to see it, simply pass on it, and wait until a pampered well-maintained clean or outstanding LS430 example came up for sale nearby me. But, I still agree with all three of your posts....

Quick Reply: Purchase Input/Feedback '05 LS430