LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus LS power window anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 06:22 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Lexus LS power window anomaly

2005 Lexus LS430 front passenger-side power window goes down, but doesn't go up all the way after that, *occasionally*.
No amount of tweaking (using the driver side and passenger side power window controls, winding down and up all windows, pushing and pulling the affected window to maybe try and coax it back into operation, stopping the engine, restarting, then retrying, etc) works to bring up (or even significantly move) the front passenger-side window in this condition.

What does work is to turn off the engine, wait for about an hour, restart the car, and use the driver side control to wind up the window.

This can be a security problem if it happens somewhere (or if it rains) where you need to park and don't have the time to get it to work properly.

What should I look at to fix this occasional window operation anomaly?
Old 10-13-19, 08:59 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

It's time for a new window motor or even better the whole regulator assembly. I fought my driver's side front window for a long time and I'm glad I finally replaced it. My window would roll down without problem but going up it would get stuck half way and you could either wait a minute for it to cool or assist the motor by pulling the window up yourself.

These window motors have a thermal resistor as it gets hotter the resistance increases and the motor loses power, that's why if you get it time to cool off it works. I believe this is a safety feature either for the motor or for objects caught between the window and frame (fingers) but the resistor does wear out it seems.
The following users liked this post:
Natey2 (10-14-19)
Old 10-13-19, 01:02 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I recently replaced all three components of the power window: the motor, the regulator, and the run. It was expensive but it works perfectly now.
UL’s have a different run unfortunately that requires way more labor to install.
Old 10-14-19, 07:46 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jharris400
It's time for a new window motor or even better the whole regulator assembly.
If I take the door apart, I probably won't be able to put it back together the same way it was or without damaging it 😂
If only I could be an apprentice somewhere (even work for free) and try this out on somebody else's car to learn how to do it right...

Is this something an average technician in an automotive electrical shop (stereo, dashcam, etc installers) can competently do if I supply the parts from Amazon?

I'd hate to take it to a dealer and ask how much this would cost. 😱
Old 10-14-19, 07:57 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 272 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
If I take the door apart, I probably won't be able to put it back together the same way it was or without damaging it 😂
If only I could be an apprentice somewhere (even work for free) and try this out on somebody else's car to learn how to do it right...

Is this something an average technician in an automotive electrical shop (stereo, dashcam, etc installers) can competently do if I supply the parts from Amazon?

I'd hate to take it to a dealer and ask how much this would cost. 😱
A Toyota dealership would be cheaper, but owning an old car likes ours requires a reputable Independent shop or repairs can become costly. I'd ask around. Unfortunately, so many people have leased cars that are under warranty and it's getting harder to find good Independent shops. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Natey2 (10-26-19)
Old 10-26-19, 09:00 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Now my rear driver side door lock actuator has quit working. All the other door locks respond to the electronic lock/unlock signal.

Found this amusing but informative video (
) on how to fix it.

I am going to find/pay someone to fix these problems. There's no way I can pull this off myself.