2 legit 2 quit? Original Owner 81,200 mile 2006 Flint Mica/Ash LS 430 ML

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 03:28 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
What part took a week to get?
Could it have been the bulletproofing? (I am reading about so many repair issues for LS 430s on these threads that it seems that bulletproofing was really never in stock in the first place. But, instead, it is just a false narrative firmly held by some.)

However, it may be appreciated that many on these threads do offer sound explanations and solutions to resolve issues and problems of the LS 430 and are willing to portray accurately real world actual experience about the various aspects of buying, owning, maintaining, and repairing the LS 430.
Old 10-26-19, 04:15 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Could it have been the bulletproofing? (I am reading about so many repair issues for LS 430s on these threads that it seems that bulletproofing was really never in stock in the first place. But, instead, it is just a false narrative firmly held by some.)

However, it may be appreciated that many on these threads do offer sound explanations and solutions to resolve issues and problems of the LS 430 and are willing to portray accurately real world actual experience about the various aspects of buying, owning, maintaining, and repairing the LS 430.
Thank you for that big, steaming pile of nothing that was completely irrelevant to my question.
The following 7 users liked this post by Bob04:
bradland (10-26-19), Jabberwock (10-30-19), kos (10-30-19), OG Member (10-28-19), rmawyer (10-26-19), Tom57 (11-11-19), TurboTodd (11-21-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-26-19, 08:09 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

my car is brown and interior looks yellow, poop and pee

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-01-21 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 11:35 AM
Zobomoho
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

rmawyer,

What about this area is problematic? San Juan is realllly close to the Mexico border, so I'd be a little concerned about the car crossing the border regularly, but what else? Flooding? Sun damage?

The 2005 with 70k miles just dropped to $9k. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Any ideas? What about the maintenance history (or lack thereof) is raising red flags?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-19, 12:09 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nothing dramatic, but need to definitely have eyes on it. Mexico wear and tear, gulf coast use, etc. No service records and need for timing belt and the usual other possibles of lock actuators, control arms, struts, etc.

All that said, if I was a bit closer I'd give it a good luck, given the recent price drop....it does have appeal at $8-9K, which is auction value.

UPDATE: Actually it's listed at $9988 and is a 2005. Manheim has that year/miles at $8300 as a CR3 and $9600 as a CR4. CR 5 is best.

Last edited by rmawyer; 10-29-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 07:32 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rmawyer
The red one was initially listed at just under $13K, if I remember correctly. I drove it and had it inspected. On the edge for needing new brakes, front struts bouncing, and three of four door lock actuators are getting ready to go. They replaced the power window motor on the right side and put some new Dunlops on it. Has a weird dent in body panel between driver's exterior mirror and window. Something that's hard to fix and you get to stare at each time you get in.
Boy, whoever did the buff job on the Black Cherry Pearl car just ought to be shot. What a hack job...
Old 10-31-19, 03:58 PM
Zobomoho
Rookie

rmawyer, I think I have a hunch on why this is being priced so low:

San Juan (as was the entire area) was hit hard by Hurricane Harvey in 2017. Entire streets were underwater. Cars were flooded badly.

The carfax on this one is clean, but obviously that doesn't guarantee that there's been no water damage.

Last edited by Zobomoho; 10-31-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 12:33 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Called 3 Lexus dealers today and spoke with 3 used car managers about nice looking, possibly ambitiously priced lower mileage LS 430s, quite recently put on the market, each has in inventory. Each manager had basically the same story when I asked if the car had been gone through with all issues, if any, being corrected. ... They don't do any reconditioning on LS 430s saying it makes no economic sense for such an old car. (Appears when one comes in thought may be retailable, they detail it, put a big price on it, and try to sell it the way it came in.) When I told each manager what price I was thinking, as opposed to their asking prices, each one basically said they may have their car priced ambitiously, but, since only had the car for sale a short time, wanted to test the market before entertaining such an offer. Seems I was a real sucker, falling for the Lexus dealership mystique, thinking Lexus dealers actually went through used LS 430s to remedy any issues before retailing one. So, it appears when one buys a used LS 430 from a Lexus dealer, one gets to pay a higher price to cover the dealer overhead, without receiving any benefit of a Lexus dealer going through the car and correcting any issues. (It hurts now when I sit down thinking what I let the Lexus dealer really do to me when I bought one from the local Lexus store which told me the car was checked over thoroughly. And, what is somewhat curious is that some on this forum wrote that my deal was too good to be a true number. ... Too good to be true? ... Not, if you don't like letting the Lexus dealer bend you over.) ... Constantly learning....
One of the dealer's sales managers (Lexus new car dealership) called me today and offered the vehicle (LS 430) at $200 below the price we had discussed I was thinking I may have been willing to pay....

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 11-01-19 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added (Lexus new car dealership)
Old 11-01-19, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Called 3 Lexus dealers today and spoke with 3 used car managers about nice looking, possibly ambitiously priced lower mileage LS 430s, quite recently put on the market, each has in inventory. Each manager had basically the same story when I asked if the car had been gone through with all issues, if any, being corrected. ... They don't do any reconditioning on LS 430s saying it makes no economic sense for such an old car. (Appears when one comes in thought may be retailable, they detail it, put a big price on it, and try to sell it the way it came in.) When I told each manager what price I was thinking, as opposed to their asking prices, each one basically said they may have their car priced ambitiously, but, since only had the car for sale a short time, wanted to test the market before entertaining such an offer. Seems I was a real sucker, falling for the Lexus dealership mystique, thinking Lexus dealers actually went through used LS 430s to remedy any issues before retailing one. So, it appears when one buys a used LS 430 from a Lexus dealer, one gets to pay a higher price to cover the dealer overhead, without receiving any benefit of a Lexus dealer going through the car and correcting any issues. (It hurts now when I sit down thinking what I let the Lexus dealer really do to me when I bought one from the local Lexus store which told me the car was checked over thoroughly. And, what is somewhat curious is that some on this forum wrote that my deal was too good to be a true number. ... Too good to be true? ... Not, if you don't like letting the Lexus dealer bend you over.) ... Constantly learning....
I agree with what is said here for the most part. The first Lexus dealer used LS430 I went to look at in 2016 did have work done to it, they sent me the pdf which was an internal billling service to sales. But, when one factors in the above? It had to have sustained an accident--right front strut and right rear shock replaced, not left? Scraped lower right plastic. Overspray black paint on wheels. Then, the left had that ripply look, was likely hit a long time ago. Embarrassing car would not start when we were there. And it was "reconditioned."

The one call out I would make--I bought my car used of course, from a GMC dealership, in New York State. Even at 80,9xxx, NYS forces the dealer to provide a 1 mo/1k mile warranty on powertrain. If it had been 79,999 then 3 mo./3k. When I got home and there was zero coolant in the reservoir nor in the radiator, I thought of this, that I would be protected since head gaskets are blown (they weren't).

I drove my car away and found the driver door actuator did not work and the front brakes pulsated (I didn't go on a thorough test drive on the Saw Mill, my bad). They fixed both of these issues gratis and I asked for Lexus OE parts on the brakes, to which they first of course made a face, but then they said ok we'll call Mt. Kisco. Parts returned to me in OE boxes with Mt. Kisco's name on them. This was one benefit of getting used from a new car dealer. I don't think the door actuator or brakes were actually covered by law, just by common sense. And why I wanted this car was it was in FLA 8 years so I figured that might help the corrosion situation.

edit: no lie I felt this GMC dealership had integrity--the svc mgr who is gone, said sorry Mt Kisco told us we have to replace the caliper bolts as part of the job and we didn't get those when they sent over the rotors and pads and sensor. That's 100% true. And everything was returned in boxes, bolts, sensor, rotors, old pads, and they even put anti seize on the new rotors as I had asked, I could see it peering through the holes with the lugs..it's a shame there isn't one good GMC dealership within a 30 mile radius from where we live--I tried all of them. this one is too far away 3.5 hours lol

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-01-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 07:13 AM
Zobomoho
Rookie

I called the dealer yesterday. They said the white LS430 was already sold. Must not have had any major issues!

Oh well. I'm still holding out for a Flint Mica/Semi Aniline Black custom luxury model.
Old 11-01-19, 10:06 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zobomoho
I had always assumed that a Lexus being sold by a Lexus dealership would be in excellent working condition to justify the usual price premium. Disappointed to see that is not the case. Especially a respected dealer like Sewell.

Looks like there are no guarantees or shortcuts available when searching for a car like this. Makes me just want to buy a cheap LS430 with 150k miles on it, so if it fails, I wouldn't feel bad about just junking it.

Anyone have opinions on this Lexus, being sold by a dealership: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Looks almost too good to be true, but it's been sitting out there for a month. 70k miles 2005 for 10k.
Looks like it may be a nice piece. May just be a lack of demand at such asking level for a 15 year old car. Seems worthwhile looking into ... very carefully.... And, if in near showroom condition, trying to negotiate.... Also, probably has not had TB service, which will deter many. (Personally, if I had such a vehicle with 72,000 miles, would not think about doing the service for another 50,000 miles. Even if it took ten more years to get there.) Also, it looks like a base model, which seems to also deter buyers. Probably the best to buy 15 years used is the base model as much less to go wrong. (Very curious to me how some on these forums say to look for ULs and such when they are certain to become money pits as time passes. Think much better to buy least amount of future problems.)
I called the dealer yesterday. They said the white LS430 was already sold. Must not have had any major issues!

Oh well. I'm still holding out for a Flint Mica/Semi Aniline Black custom luxury model.
Sorry you missed it. (Saw North Park Lexus had lowered price to $8850 on auto trader.) Used car manager there, Edward Polaco, seems to be both, very sharp and reasonable. Maybe consider asking him to keep you in mind and let you know if/when another LS 430 comes in...?
Old 11-02-19, 10:01 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

I had always assumed that a Lexus being sold by a Lexus dealership would be in excellent working condition to justify the usual price premium. Disappointed to see that is not the case. ...

Looks like there are no guarantees or shortcuts available when searching for a car like this. Makes me just want to buy a cheap LS430 with 150k miles on it, so if it fails, I wouldn't feel bad about just junking it. ...
Saw this sub 4, 120,000 mile, LS 430: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto...011178441.html and thought of your post....

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 11-02-19 at 10:05 PM. Reason: QUOTE
Old 11-07-19, 04:41 PM
Mike26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there, new member and the new owner of this LS430! I can say without doubt it was the cleanest 430 I have seen during my search for 6 months now. Sure, there was a premium to pay coming from the dealer, but some would find it worth paying, myself included.

The previous owner was meticulous in their care of this car and kept every record of service. Loving it so far and will drive it till the wheels fall off!

I’ll be diving in and doing the timing belt/water pump on it in a few weeks (been there and done that on my wife’s GX, semi simple job coming from working on land rovers)
The following users liked this post:
Romanova (11-08-19)
Old 11-08-19, 06:30 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Nice pick up, where in TX are you?
Old 11-08-19, 06:47 AM
Zobomoho
Rookie

Interesting,

The white LS430 at North Park Lexus just came back to the marketplace. Wonder what happened with the previous buyer, or if he found flooding after he put a contract in.

Quick Reply: 2 legit 2 quit? Original Owner 81,200 mile 2006 Flint Mica/Ash LS 430 ML