LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Temp switch light bulb removal.....yes did a search

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 05:19 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Temp switch light bulb removal.....yes did a search

Unfortunately when doing searches about this light bulb all of the old pics have been removed. I figured out how to pop this switch out and I can see the green boot over the darn bulb. I didnt want to break anything so I just stopped. What I cant figure out is how to get at that little bulb to remove it. Any assistance without telling me to do a search will be appreciated.

To be clear on a 04 LS430 the switch I am talking about is each occupant has their own ( up or down ) switch to heat or cool...its that little bulb that I am trying to remove. Currently have switch just hanging out of the dash. My next move would be to try and pull it out further if needed....or try to separate the 2 plastic parts to have access to the bulb.
Old 11-19-19, 01:16 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Unfortunately when doing searches about this light bulb all of the old pics have been removed. I figured out how to pop this switch out and I can see the green boot over the darn bulb. I didnt want to break anything so I just stopped. What I cant figure out is how to get at that little bulb to remove it. Any assistance without telling me to do a search will be appreciated.

To be clear on a 04 LS430 the switch I am talking about is each occupant has their own ( up or down ) switch to heat or cool...its that little bulb that I am trying to remove. Currently have switch just hanging out of the dash. My next move would be to try and pull it out further if needed....or try to separate the 2 plastic parts to have access to the bulb.
Poster who made below post was still around March 2018 so maybe try a private post to for any question...?

Don't know if this may be of help ... poster wrote: Use a small pry bar to get the temp switch out: Bulb is located on the side at an angle, one will need a small, thin blade (-) screwdriver. Turn counter clockwise to get the bulb out, clockwise to lock the new bulb in place:

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Hey guys, I finally addressed a burnt center console light bulb problem and decided to do a how to in case someone needs to do it and is afraid something is going to go wrong.
Tools needed:
Regular (+) screwdriver
Small thin blade (-) screwdriver
Small pry bar
Bulb part #s:
90010-01059 for suspension mode, PWR/SNOW. One bulb for each button so 3 bulbs needed.
90010-01070 for vsc, rear sunshade etc. One bulb for all four buttons so 1 bulb needed.
90010-03043 for temperature control. One bulb needed.
Here's how my center conole looked:

All of suspension mode and power/snow, vsc and headlight washer buttons were not lit.
To get the bottom panel out no tools are needed, just open the storage compartment on the right and pry the pannel with your fingers:

Then you'll see three screws that hold the top panel. Use cross screwdriver to take them out:

Take the upper panel out:

I took the cover off the bottom panel to show you where the bulb is and that there's only one:

Here you'll need a small, thin blade (-) screwdriver. Turn counter clockwise to get the bulb out, clockwise to lock the new bulb in place:

Now for the upper panel.
Each of three buttons are separately held and are taken out by hands. Hold each button from the back and wiggle out pressing from the front with another hand.
Each button has its own bulb, it's on the side. Change the bulb the same way as described above:

Temperature bulb.
Use a small pry bar to he the temp switch out:

Bulb is located on the side at an angle. Change the bulb out same way as described above:

Now all can be put back together, upper panel first. Don't forget to connect all cables back.
After:

Old 11-19-19, 06:57 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for including that link. I did see that very informative post when I did my search. Unfortunately on my computer all pics are blurry and have the Photo Bucket logo over them. In addition the description on how to separate the 2 parts and get the bulb out are a bit vague. I have the switch out already just dangling from my dash. But as you can kind of see and as the OP stated the bulb in in a hole and in a angle.........how the heck do I get that bulb out of the hole without damaging it? I may be able to get some needle nose pliers on it to remove but I dont like that idea for my special order $7.00 bulbt install. It looks like in the pic that he has the part on his work bench which means the 2 sections come apart. My guess is once I have the 2 pieces apart I will easily be able to remove the bulb. Once I do.....I will take pics and this question will be answered for future folks that want to know.
Old 11-19-19, 08:34 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I bucked up and got my butt out to the garage after not being able to find some clear pics of how to remove this light bulb on the temp switch. As I thought it was very easy. But now I will pass a long the knowledge to make it even easier on the next guy or gal.

You will want to use a plastic trim tool with a skinny almost sharp edge to pry out the switch from the dash. In my case I was careful not to damage the dash.....I pried carefully until I got the switch coming out. I then inserted another pry tool to hold it out while I pried around some more....eventually being able to get my finger tips on the inner edges and remove from the dash. You could use a putty knife or a flat head screw driver but I would be sure to tape those tools with blue painters tape before using. I strongly rec the plastic trim tools as they limit the amount of damage an accidental slip would cause.

Now once you have the light switch out you will need to gently pull out what little bit of slack you have in the wire and after you have pulled the switch out a little bit just point it down towards the floor. At this time you will have your ah haaa moment. You will see the base of the light bulb that you can remove with a flat head screw driver.Just unscrew counter clockwise about 1/2 turn and then it is free. BUT BUT BUT since the switch is upside down you will need a pic to remove the bulb and pull it out of its socket.....heck you could use a piece of chewing gum on a stick if you wanted to,,,,,,but something to pull the bulb out and up. Note....I showed you the pick technique on my workbench vise because I only have 2 hands....dont let that confuse you. Just unscrew the bulb and use a pick to get it out.

If you guys need me to add pics of the plastic trim tools let me know and I will add them as well.

At this point you have it all figured out....just reinstall new bulb and push switch back into the dash. See pics.........

Old 11-19-19, 04:41 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I thought I would do a little over kill since I *****ed about not having any good pics to learn from. In the next set of pics you will see the plastic trim tools that I used.........Where to use the screw driver.......and where to pry at the switch. That said I had best success prying at the top or bottom of the switch because that is where the clips are. Here are more pics.....