LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Whats the next move in the Lexus family after the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-19, 10:36 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Never sell this car. There is nothing better.

Last edited by NLLex; 11-21-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-21-19, 12:53 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
From what I understand the 04 to 06 LS430 is the most reliable car Lexus has ever made.....or close second to the LS400 not sure.
Why would you say the 04-06 ls430 is more reliable than the 01-03? The 04-06 brought about the sealed transmission and TCM problems that come with it.

I would say the logical progression from LS430 is LS460, but be aware they will most likely require a suspension overhaul from the start so research and factor that into your purchase price. If you want the best of the best look at the LS600hl, it's the faster than the cars you mentioned other than "F" cars and the most luxurious.
Old 11-21-19, 07:27 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the replies.....I have been searching the internet for about 3 hours tonight to try to narrow the search. Of course only hands on test drives will really help me decide.
Scotty Kilmer on youtube seems to love the GS350 with the 6cyl for easier maintenance........
I watched about every GS350 on Youtube......learned a bit.
I also watched a bunch of ES350 vids.......

Then I started looking at the LS460. Hmmmmm This car has a wow factor. I dont like to drive something that is too pretentious looking or that grabs too much attention which the 460 just might....my 430 certainly turns some heads for an old gal.
But the 460 looks like the ultimate highway cruiser. A friend of mine used to own one and I got to drive it a couple of times. My only complaint was that the console pushed my right leg inward.

Please tell me about the 460 suspension issues......why would a 460 need a suspension rebuild so early? Is it air suspension like the UL 430's?
Old 11-21-19, 07:35 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

I don't own one so I cannot speak from experience but it's the control arms, not struts. In fact you'll have a difficult time finding a SWB 460 with air suspension, LWB are easy to find. I don't know the year range but I believe the 460s have trouble with brake actuators so read up on that too.

What this first time buyers guide video, and be careful what you listen to from Scotty, he should only be watched for comedic relief.
Old 11-21-19, 08:22 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ha ya.....I take Scotty with a grain of salt for sure. He makes a lot of vids just to get views but his GS350 vid was spot on and made a lot of sense. His wife drives an older ES330 or 350.
Anyway after 4 plus hours on the dang computer I see you know what you are talking about. The LS460's did have premature suspension issues. I am looking at a LS460 tomorrow just to eliminate it from my scope.......but man it has 71k miles on it and the dealer is asking 12k for it. It is that dark dark blue color and looks to be in great shape. Yikes.....I just know its gunna run like a raped ape and it will be hard to not fall in love. I think those suspension woes will keep me from buying a 460. From what I have read tonight the GS350 from 2008 and up seems to be the hot ticket. I also read a lot of posts on the other forums claiming the 430 was the best car they ever owned. Maybe I just need to air up my LS430's tires and drive it a little harder in sport mode problem solved.
Old 11-21-19, 09:52 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Go to the other Lexus model forums ...

Ha ya.....I take Scotty with a grain of salt for sure. He makes a lot of vids just to get views but his GS350 vid was spot on and made a lot of sense. His wife drives an older ES330 or 350.
Anyway after 4 plus hours on the dang computer I see you know what you are talking about. The LS460's did have premature suspension issues. I am looking at a LS460 tomorrow just to eliminate it from my scope.......but man it has 71k miles on it and the dealer is asking 12k for it. It is that dark dark blue color and looks to be in great shape. Yikes.....I just know its gunna run like a raped ape and it will be hard to not fall in love. I think those suspension woes will keep me from buying a 460. From what I have read tonight the GS350 from 2008 and up seems to be the hot ticket. I also read a lot of posts on the other forums claiming the 430 was the best car they ever owned. Maybe I just need to air up my LS430's tires and drive it a little harder in sport mode problem solved.
Please go to those Lexus model forums:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-models-8/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-models-4/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...2007-2017-178/
Old 11-22-19, 06:23 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

The suspension issues shouldn't steer you away from a 460, just have a plan to be ready to fix them when the problem comes up if you really like the car. I didn't want you to buy one at your maximum budget and then find out it needs 1k in suspension parts, I'd still buy one knowing the potential issues.
Old 11-22-19, 06:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Thanks for the replies.....I have been searching the internet for about 3 hours tonight to try to narrow the search. Of course only hands on test drives will really help me decide.
Scotty Kilmer on youtube seems to love the GS350 with the 6cyl for easier maintenance........
I watched about every GS350 on Youtube......learned a bit.
I also watched a bunch of ES350 vids.......

Then I started looking at the LS460. Hmmmmm This car has a wow factor. I dont like to drive something that is too pretentious looking or that grabs too much attention which the 460 just might....my 430 certainly turns some heads for an old gal.
But the 460 looks like the ultimate highway cruiser. A friend of mine used to own one and I got to drive it a couple of times. My only complaint was that the console pushed my right leg inward.

Please tell me about the 460 suspension issues......why would a 460 need a suspension rebuild so early? Is it air suspension like the UL 430's?
Arm bushings die really quickly like a German car, add in air suspension and it gets crazy quickly.

GS and ES even current gen are not on the level of a 430 in smoothness, power, or anything really. The difference between a 2002 430 and 2011 ES and 2012 GS are hilariously evident. The only strong points of the lesser classes are I guess a more "connected" feel (rougher ride) and more modern electronic toys. The engines are the same V6 that's in literally every Camry/anything with a Toyota V6 so parts are cheaper and they don't break. Not as smooth in power delivery and doesn't have the in gear 20mph "glide" ability like an 8 does and nothing down low. The 3UZ technically has a hair less peak power but in reality is a way stronger engine with a nearly double effective power band. Plus it has the correct number of cylinders even if it's short 38 CID of being a true V8

I tried the whole I-6 thing but I'm very glad to be back in a V8 as a daily. Only thing better is a V10
Old 11-22-19, 07:19 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

430LS owner......yes as I stated I spent 4 hours in the other forums gathering info. I am driving an LS460 today....then will hunt down a GS350. If what Striker is saying is true I wont be happy with the newer cars. I like smooth. fast and quiet. The only thing my LS is missing is sporty handling or a zippy feel for getting around town for a few quick errands. Not sure if the newer cars can give me that zippyness with the same first class comfort that my LS provides.
Old 11-22-19, 07:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

430LS owner......yes as I stated I spent 4 hours in the other forums gathering info. I am driving an LS460 today....then will hunt down a GS350. If what Striker is saying is true I wont be happy with the newer cars. I like smooth. fast and quiet. The only thing my LS is missing is sporty handling or a zippy feel for getting around town for a few quick errands. Not sure if the newer cars can give me that zippyness with the same first class comfort that my LS provides.
If you want more zip then I do think a GS350/ES350 will give you what you are looking for in that aspect since they are geared to be a little more sporty. The LS and 430 in particular are very very relaxed cars compared to most, I find myself going under or at the speed limit vs most cars like an ES that I go 10 over. Not due to the LS not handling it but simply because it's so quiet and relaxed you don't get a sensation of speed until like 80-90 that you normally feel in most cars going a little over the speed limit so it puts at least me in a different mentality.

The zip feel is definitely there in the V6s, again not that same feel as a V8 but everyone has preferences in how an engine delivers power an I'm heavily biased to the V8 "hand of god" continuous off idle press to redline. I don't like engines that are dead for half the powerband and then wake up for the last 2500. Try driving your 430 in power mode and treat it more like a V6 (rev to 4000 each time you set off from a stop) and you will feel the immense power difference down low between a V8 and a 6 when you test drive a 6.

Im also lined up to try a 460 but my two local dealers can't find one that I requested (top level interior and exterior condition with no air suspension) since I asked a week and change back. I'm hoping I like it but after having worked on plenty of RX/ES/GS/GX from the 2010s era I'm kinda hesitant as I really feel the 430 interior is the apex so far. Handling wise any Lexus is a boat really, the LS430 is extra rolltastic but really you can pull .5g (way more than most will want to on public roads) and it doesn't do anything weird other than roll like a 2002 GMC 1500

Best way to compare the 430 to the ES/GS/RX of the 2010 year is to say that near my shop there is a standard "test route" we diagnose and road test cars on. It has two HAIRPIN turns, gravel, two bridges, serious potholes in one area, two long straits (140mph capable) some broken pavement areas, and two undulating pavement areas.

The 430 was literally so smooth that some "usual" bumps and irregularity on the route were just gone to the point I thought they repaved areas. The first road bridge transition that normally HITS an unibody car hard enough to make interior bits rattle was so quiet in the 430 I actually thought for a split second "wow, this thing has great body mounts on the frame" since it was on par with a BOF vehicle in resistance to shock. The ES is just like a same year Camry with more yielding suspension and less noise for a given part of the test drive, GS is similar but does way better under power through the turns since you can do RWD tricks.

The weak point of the LS is the turns, I could only do 22-28 mph vs nearly 50 in a corvette before the rear ends start to step out too far. The ES/GS are both about 35 through there, that's not great since my truck can hold 43 through all of them (it's not stock at all but still. Come on.).

Last edited by Striker223; 11-22-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 07:53 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

As a 460 owner (on my 2nd), I've had the 400 and the 430. If your budget is $11K, I'd consider looking at an ES or GS. I don't think either of those cars would make you happy coming out of the 430. Totally different feel, ride, size etc. The common comment about control arms seem to be true for some, not others. I had my 08 for 5 years and never had any issue short of one of my headlights going out and the driver side door jam switch needed replacing. Control arms, brake actuators fine. Sold the car to a friend who is in love with it. Still no issues. The other issue in the 07-09 years was the interior. Lexus stepped up to the plate (after some prodding) and replaced my entire interior (not seats) for free. The car looked brand new. When searching, it's super important to dial in to the Lexus Owner's site and inspect the car's service record top to bottom. You'll find out what has or has not been done. There are early models that have had all the work done to them. Even so, you're buying an older car and with that can come issues. Same with any Lexus or brand for that matter. I'd consider saving up some money and taking a look at a 2010-2012. Preferably the 11-12 model LS460. You will want the bluetooth audio and the side view mirror turn signals. Good luck!!
Old 11-22-19, 08:20 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 182 Posts

For a few grand, one can always bolt on a supercharger to liven things up. But keep in mind, LS 430's 3UZ-FE, while quite amazing, is certainly no 2JZ-GTE and will break much easier if one over does it. But, with with money and will, when going to town to pick up a dozen Ukrop's White House Rolls, you can sound like this:

Old 11-22-19, 06:45 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I drove the 460 today in the rain. Damnnnnn I thought the rear end was gunna squirrel when I stomped on it.....the 460 is geared a little hotter then the 430. Overall the 460 felt like the next move up from the 430. It was a nice heavy beast with improved steering and braking. The interior wasnt a real upgrade from the 430. I liked the drivers position a little better. This particular car was not a cream puff. Boy they look good in pics but when you see them in person you wonder what the hell they have been through. She was as strong as a jet fighter but a little rough around the edges so I passed.
Old 11-23-19, 08:26 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

‘05-07 GS430 or ‘13-17 LS460; my Independant Lexus mechanic was adamant that Lexus build quality on early LS460’s was a huge step down from his personal favorite the ‘04-06 LS430. Another option is converting your 430 to a Sports suspension and using factory spec tires(not All-Season). It will ride better than the aforementioned GS while being very close to a LS460 in handling.
Old 11-23-19, 10:52 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

If you look towards a 460, I believe you need to consider the '13-'17 models. These will be above your $11K budget, though. Having both a 430 and 460 I prefer the 430. Our '01 is approaching 240K miles and hope to get another 150K out of it.....

I had considered replacing the '01 with an '05 or '06 but after a many month search decided instead to invest in fixing up the '01 (mainly replacing the struts and suspension bushings - which was a huge improvement in the 17 year old ride) and will soon become new wheels (17" to 18") and tires.....

I would be hard pressed to move from an LS to either an ES or GS. Of the two, the GS is the better option (in my opinion) but then a GS-F would be the best (but, again, a larger budget is needed).

Good luck with your research and decision.

Quick Reply: Whats the next move in the Lexus family after the LS430