LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Whats the next move in the Lexus family after the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 11:26 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

You guys do realize here that these cars are all Toyotas right? Lexus is just a rebrand of Toyota vehicles because no one would want to spend $100k on a Toyota but feel a Lexus is worth that.

Look up a Toyota Celsior and tell me what it looks like. All of you who are saying Lexus quality/engineering/technology like it's a company all its own need to wake up, it's Toyota who has done all of this and put a Lexus badge on it so you feel good that you got a car from a company that only sells luxury cars.

To all of you who think you have the best Toyota has to offer look at the Century.
Old 11-27-19, 01:45 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jharris400
You guys do realize here that these cars are all Toyotas right? Lexus is just a rebrand of Toyota vehicles because no one would want to spend $100k on a Toyota but feel a Lexus is worth that.

Look up a Toyota Celsior and tell me what it looks like. All of you who are saying Lexus quality/engineering/technology like it's a company all its own need to wake up, it's Toyota who has done all of this and put a Lexus badge on it so you feel good that you got a car from a company that only sells luxury cars.

To all of you who think you have the best Toyota has to offer look at the Century.
Just like a turkey is a rebranded chicken, right?
The following users liked this post:
rmawyer (11-29-19)
Old 11-27-19, 02:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
430SLOWNER..........I dont know if its just me or not....but you are extremely knowledgeable and have a ton to bring to the table. But u seem to have a little edge to ya. Along with all of the knowledge passed along in the forum ...lets keep it chill at the same time.

Got my car back from the shop today. They pressure tested the radiator and said it didnt loose any psi all night. I have seen on this forum several threads about radiators and strange leaks.....The shop just said if your made of money and want a new radiator we will do it,,,,otherwise come pick it up.

Now for the story.........so while my car was at the shop for 2 days i have been zippin around in my 06 Acura RL. The RL is a big car but feels smaller then the LS....I dont know how to explain it but the RL is just sportier....it makes the driving experience more interactive vs just sitting on a comfortable couch driving around. To be very clear the 430 is twice the car the RL is but I am saying the driving experience is a bit more fun. Well when the shuttle driver dropped me off...I got my keys from the shop and walked to my Cyprus Pearl beauty I said oh ya...thats it. I opened that massive heavy door and sat in the massive un bolstered captains seat and said ohhhh I seeee.....I see ya baby.......she was just a level above. Even as an 04 she is clearly a level above so many more modern cars. I drove her home as usual with the stereo off so could listed to her butter shifts and kicked her into gear a few times to enjoy the V8 power. Yes a true classic! All that said....when I pulled the big boat....sorry thats what she felt like....when I pulled the big boat into the garage I was already thinking about a more sporty experience. And lastly to be clear again....I am 54 yrs old and I actually drive very conservative but I think after owning the LS for so many years I just have an itch for a quality, classy, sporty, fun to drive car. I guess it exists but cost way over my budget. My guess is that a 2015 ish GS is probably a real nice car that ticks all the boxes.

I will continue to wrestle with this...it will be interesting to see where this mental struggle comes to an end.
This might sound insane but try a Chrysler 300 SRT8 or Charger SRT8 if you want a driving experience so good that you will forget about the interior entirely. It's unreal how the car becomes "invisible" when it talks to you and has real power.
Old 11-27-19, 02:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jharris400

Dodge makes the neon and viper......one is cheap beyond compare and the other is a supercar. Many companies make ultra cheap/low end stuff and ultra high end under the same roof.

Last edited by Striker223; 11-27-19 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-27-19, 06:18 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

430SLOWNER..........I dont know if its just me or not....but you are extremely knowledgeable and have a ton to bring to the table. But u seem to have a little edge to ya. Along with all of the knowledge passed along in the forum ...lets keep it chill at the same time.
Ignore that troll. He doesn't know squat.

Timing chain vs timing belt isn't the most noticeable difference between the 2 engines. While a timing belt is less noisy but more maintenance, the thing you will notice most between the 2 engines is the use of direct injection on the 460. My 2010 460L was very noisy due to the chatter from the direct injection solenoids. Made it sound almost like a diesel. Unacceptable if you are used to a car like the 430. So much so that I got rid of it and went back to the 430. So, be careful with the 460. If you are expecting all the goodness of the 430 with a sleeker body and sportier feel, you will be disappointed. Mine was in the shop all the time, thankfully under warranty. It felt cheaper and less refined. Not a worthy successor to the epic 430. Not even close.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob04:
AJT123 (12-02-19), Bocatrip (12-01-19), bradland (12-02-19)
Old 11-27-19, 06:37 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you say an ls640 would require a suspension overhaul?
Old 11-27-19, 06:39 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps they changed the engine, as my 2011 LS460 engine is quiet.
Old 11-27-19, 07:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zammer
Why do you say an ls640 would require a suspension overhaul?
The car uses multiple arms like an Audi for optimal suspension control of the tires at all points in wheel travel that leads to the bushings being under a hell of a lot more load and stress angles vs double A arms

Last edited by Striker223; 11-28-19 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-27-19, 07:50 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The car uses multiple arms like an Audi for optimal suspension control of the tires at all points in wheel travel that leads to the bushings being under a hell of a lot more load and stress angles and double A arms
Service advisor at Lexus related to me that has seen many $4k+ front suspension repairs on LS460s with less than 100k miles due to complexity of front suspension. This is a purely anecdotal report, so take it with a grain of salt, also I don't know if the problem is limited to early LS460 model years or is still a design weakness today.
Bocatrip (12-01-19)
Old 11-27-19, 08:02 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I’d move up to a 16-17 LS460, IS-F, GS-F, RC-F, or LC500. The early LS460’s had a lot of issues so I’d avoid those. The F cars were going to be my most likely upgrade due to me working for Lexus and being eligible for their employee Master Lease program, but I recently quit. I was planning on scooping up a used F or LC500 this way and keep it at the end of the lease.

I don’t plan to actually sell my LS430 though. Those cars would have been in addition to my current batch of cars. The only thing I’d replace my LS430 with would be a 04-06 Toyota Celsior, which is the Japanese version of an LS. I’d consider a Toyota Aristo V300 or second generation GS300 with a 2JZ-GTE swap.
Old 11-27-19, 08:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Service advisor at Lexus related to me that has seen many $4k+ front suspension repairs on LS460s with less than 100k miles due to complexity of front suspension. This is a purely anecdotal report, so take it with a grain of salt, also I don't know if the problem is limited to early LS460 model years or is still a design weakness today.
The service advisor is correct. I worked for Lexus for a few years and was told to avoid the early LS460’s for that reason, along with other issues. Nobody at the dealership owned an LS460 because the early ones had so many issues. Many still drove LS400’s and LS430’s though.

I’m not sure if it applied to the 2013+ LS460’s either. I haven’t heard of any issues but I never thought to ask. The suspension parts cost a ton if you pay retail. Even with employee pricing it costs a lot.
Old 11-28-19, 06:22 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks all.....man o man we really have some valuable info rolling through. As usual I have learned a lot from the forum. It should be noted again that I am on a limited budget. I drive a crappy company vehicle every day so technically I dont even need a car. That said after driving around in a plain wrapper co vehicle all week it feels great to be spoiled in a LS430 on the weekends. I have always said it is like being upgraded to first class. Given the potential required maintenance on the early affordable 460's I will tap them out. Many people who drive a nice Lexus can afford to play the game but for me I need to protect myself from a potential loss of thousands in maintenance for my weekend car. My 430 has been a good ole gal and the only maintenance she has required is what I wanted to do for preventative. She is a peach....clay barred.....waxed....detailed.....always waiting to go for a ride.
So in the lead right now is still the out of reach GS350 2014 and up.......and the only reason I say that is from the interior shots I have seen in the sale listings. It is the more modern sleek look that I am looking for.but I have not driven one so it could be eliminated just as fast as I eliminated the 2006 GS350.

Thanks all for the help and knowledge so far. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
Old 11-28-19, 06:48 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is an example of a sharp looking GS.......mileage is too high for me but this is a car that catches my eye. Silver or grey would be nice too......
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...023041112.html
Old 11-30-19, 08:25 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04

Timing chain vs timing belt isn't the most noticeable difference between the 2 engines. While a timing belt is less noisy but more maintenance, the thing you will notice most between the 2 engines is the use of direct injection on the 460. My 2010 460L was very noisy due to the chatter from the direct injection solenoids. Made it sound almost like a diesel. Unacceptable if you are used to a car like the 430. So much so that I got rid of it and went back to the 430. So, be careful with the 460. If you are expecting all the goodness of the 430 with a sleeker body and sportier feel, you will be disappointed. Mine was in the shop all the time, thankfully under warranty. It felt cheaper and less refined. Not a worthy successor to the epic 430. Not even close.
Diesel like is a bit dramatic. I'll admit that the noise was annoying when I first got the car but all the other things that made it better than the 400 and 430 completely outweighed the noise issue for me. I understand that it was not acceptable to you though. Even today my 20 year old 400 is still quieter when warmed up than my 460 is but so what. The 460 outperforms the 400 and 430 in every way.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
That's because Lexus are just gouging customers. Yes the suspension is more complicated than either the 400 or 430 with more moving parts which is not necessarily a bad thing. Lexus obviously did not account for how all that movement would affect the rubber bushings or if the did account for it they made the decision to go ahead anyway which is something all the car makers do these days. I've changed all the arms myself for less than $1k and although most owners won't feel comfortable taking on this job the ONLY reason it gets so much attention is when members of this forum take it to the dealer, get the outrageous quote then come back to the forum screaming from the top of their lungs lol. I loved my 400 and for over 15 years I would not even consider upgrading until it was the best thing to do economically. I liked the 430 it was a definite upgrade to the 400 except in body style. If I could have found another UL I would still be driving a 430. I'm glad I did not find one because it forced my hand to buy a 460. The 460 is the best looking LS so far including the LS 500 which can be mistaken for an ES, GS and Mazda 6 on any given day. I apologize for the long rant though. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-30-19, 08:57 AM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

Knowing the location of www.google.com, www.youtube.com, and how to use Ctrl+C with Ctrl+V isn't real automotive knowledge...

Originally Posted by Bob04
Wise words Bob
LexRex (12-01-19)

Quick Reply: Whats the next move in the Lexus family after the LS430