LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Whats the next move in the Lexus family after the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 09:13 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep the LS430. With an 11k budget you are limited. If you want real excitement go purchase a new 2020 Chevrolet Spark for $9999. Your blood pressure will climb as you try to merge onto the freeway and you’ll be constantly looking behind you to avoid semis which will end your life. But hey; it’s a new car with a warranty and exciting in all the wrong ways!
The following 2 users liked this post by Catalina45:
warminwisc (12-19-19), Wheelyneat (12-08-19)
Old 12-07-19, 09:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Lincoln MKZs are great cars. One of the finest automobiles available. Colin Farrel, Benji Madden, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Mathew McConaughey, and many other stars drive vehicles from Ford. When you pull up with your Lincoln to a restaurant, pretty women swoon and sharp men admire you. Many aficionados argue that Lincoln is the finest automobile in the world.

Where do you think you think the Japanese learned to build the LS 430? In America. Ford's Rouge Plant. Where raw materials were at one end and automobiles rolled out the other (Ford F-150s, the #1 selling truck in the world, do today). Eiji Toyoda toured the Ford Rouge Plant in the 1950s and went over every square inch of the complex to learn. He and Taiichi Ohno developed the Toyota system over the next 20 years from what was learned and continued to be learned from Ford. (All the auto manufactures in the world sent its engineers through Ford's Rouge Plant's tours to learn how to build cars.) Without America, the cars which would be available today would suck.

Take it from Eiji Toyoda himself; when Eiji toasted Ford's then CEO Phil Caldwell about Toyota's world class status at a dinner; "There is no secret to how we learned to do what we do, Mr. Caldwell," Toyoda told his Ford counterpart. "We learned it at the Rouge."

My brother has one (2013 Lincoln MKZ, 3.7 V6 engine) which just turned the 400,000 mile mark. Original engine and transmission, interior and exterior still sharp, original paint still looks great. Expenses have been oil changes, filters, tires, brakes, suspension parts. Complaint he has is Lincoln made the car look absolutely great but took away head room in back seats to do so. Car is definitely not pampered, but driven hard daily. It has been properly maintained though as well as run through a car wash every few days.
He is a driver obviously. Not saying Ford does not make some quality engines and parts but their fit and finish usually leads much to be desired. Anyway, the crowns and mkz or whatever with super high mileage do this because they are driven constantly. Up to 90% of engine and transmission wear comes from cold starts. These vehicles have considerably less cold starts vs the average consumer hence the perceived exceptional longevity. Not the norm.

For this simple reason, among many others, one should use synthetic oil as it flows faster on cold starts.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-09-19 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-17-19, 06:58 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Well........she is gone. Sold to the first person to look at her. I told u guys she was clean as a whistle. Funny thing.......I had him back her out of my garage as I waited in my Hooptie ( 06 Acura RL ) to pull in my garage. As I saw this beautiful spotless machine pull out of my garage I felt like the guy that owned that car was rich and as I pulled my 06 RL into my garage I felt that guy was poor. Heck it wasnt too far from the truth either. Anyway the new buyer was a very good dude and deserved ole Sexy Lexy. He is a Toyota mechanic so the ole girl will be treated right.
My point about pricing was correct and received correctly by my new buyer. Yes there are a lot of LS430's on the market for 7K but if you go look at them and check their service records you will soon find out that a 7K car is in need of 2 or 3k in preventative repairs and a nice set of tires. So if your 430 is fresh and up to date.....dont give it away.....sell it for what its worth. In my opinion my car was worth over 10k to me.....but the market just aint havin' that. The search is on for my next cruiser with a little zest........the cars on the list havent changed as of yet............2013/14 Lexus GS350 Acura RLX... Infiniti G37 or Q50 to obtain any of these beasts I will have to increase my budget to 15k ............until then I will just beat on the RL
Old 12-17-19, 07:33 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Well congrats. That was fast. Good luck with your next car.
Old 12-18-19, 05:35 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Congrats on your sale. As someone who knows (3 Infinitis) I wouldn't go the route of an Infiniti Q50. I know the SUV QX50 (not the very new one) to be a proven well built SUV. My model was a 2017 QX50.This was previously known as the QX35 The new model is a 4 cylinder, front wheel drive, and CVT. Not selling well. . The 4 dr sedan Q50 will be a disappointment after owning the LS430. I have had the G35 Coupe and Sedan. I owned both for 11 years each. Reliable cars with great drivetrains but the cars had hard plastics, and loads of rattles. If you stay within the Lexus or Acura family you shouldn't be disappointed. Personally, I'd stick with the Lexus line of cars.
Old 12-18-19, 06:03 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Great advice Boca.......I have noticed in the pics of the Infiniti cars the interior plastics worn and kind of cheap looking which has been a turn off. That said their seats look awesome! I have not driven any of the Infiniti's yet nor the RLX. The only car driven so far was the 06 GS350 which looked good but under performed. I havent had the right cup off coffee or stiff drink that will help me deal with the sales people.......I am thinking maybe I just go to Carmax and drive them all there then narrow down my search and purchase wherever the diamond in the rough is hiding.
Old 12-18-19, 06:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Great advice Boca.......I have noticed in the pics of the Infiniti cars the interior plastics worn and kind of cheap looking which has been a turn off. That said their seats look awesome! I have not driven any of the Infiniti's yet nor the RLX. The only car driven so far was the 06 GS350 which looked good but under performed. I havent had the right cup off coffee or stiff drink that will help me deal with the sales people.......I am thinking maybe I just go to Carmax and drive them all there then narrow down my search and purchase wherever the diamond in the rough is hiding.
Good idea but you will probably go right back to a LS, I've worked on nearly everything and they are the best overall package......unless you get a phantom.
Old 12-18-19, 08:23 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I think if your gunna own a LS you need to own a sports car of some kind to scratch that itch from time to time. The biggest reason for selling my LS was a lack of excitement behind the wheel. Quiet, smooth, fast. refined. yes yes yes but you would have to admit a quick run to get a $6 dollar coffee a few miles down a typical suburb road would be a bit more fun in a Porsche Cayan .....or a Lexus GS 350 F sport......or just fill in the blank. I also loved the interior of my LS but at the same time yearned for the new edgy styling that we see in today's cars. Again fill in the blank. But I would agree to the point that the LS430 without a doubt is one of the best made and best riding cars of all time. If I could own 4 or 5 cars my mini collection would have a LS in it. I say that based on money being an issue.......if money were no issue......the LS wouldnt make it........uhhhhhhh split window Vette......Porsche 911 old school.......Aston Martin blah blah blah
Old 01-04-20, 08:30 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

TARGET ACQUIRED!!!!!!! TARGET ACQUIRED!!!!!!!! Well I have been researching non stop and driving myself crazy. I sort of narrowed it down to
Sporty and fast 2013 G37 sedan Journey RWD they sell for approx 15k lots of factors but average in good condition
The Beast LS460 ....found a 2011 nice color combo selling for $15,500
The all in one....2013 Sporty and classy Lexus GS350....they average approx 17 to 20k right now

Drove the GS today and it felt right....tight steering....nice modern interior to upgrade me from my aged LS430......classy looks.....enough power to get down the road. After looking closer at the car I saw rust on the pulleys and corrosion in other spots....red flag.....rust belt....got down and looked under the ole gal....could only see the exhaust but thats all I needed to see......too much rust for me to stretch my budget for. They offered the car at $14900 if I would buy today......108k miles on it.......still NO THANKS. Then since it was the last days of Toyotathon the manager insisted I drive a new Camry. Long story short.....those Camrys look great...I tip my hat to the Carroll Shelby of Camry design. That said all I could think about while I was driving that Camry was the 7 year older car with 108k miles on it.
SO MY QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!
Do you think a 2013 GS350 with 100k miles on it is ............
1. Still crushes a brand new Camry
2. Worth more then a brand new Camry?
3. A smart buy over a brand new Camry?

Worded differently............Most of the GS350's that I have looked at that are in good condition with just under 100k miles are selling for on average $18 to $19k
A brand new Camry SE is selling for somewhere around $23K ???? Correct me if I am wrong But I know used Camrys with almost no miles on them are selling all day for $19k

So in my screwed up poorly worded way of asking a question...........is the Lexus just that much better that it makes good sense to buy one that has already run 100k down the road for close to what a new or damn close to new Camry would sell for? Lets call it $19 K for the Lex with 100k miles on it vs $19k for the Camry with 12k miles on it....dealer car...loaner...whatever......

Just pickin your brains.........for me personally I would rather jump in the Lex and ride.....but it sure doesnt seem to make good financial sense.
Old 01-04-20, 09:01 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

How did the camry feel to drive vs the GS
Old 01-05-20, 12:14 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Of those get the 460. It's in another league entirely than the others.

I drove a 2014 Avalon top trim two days ago and it's not as nice or fast as even my 430. A Camry holds zero appeal for me at any level.
Old 01-05-20, 12:40 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
TARGET ACQUIRED!!!!!!! TARGET ACQUIRED!!!!!!!! Well I have been researching non stop and driving myself crazy. I sort of narrowed it down to
Sporty and fast 2013 G37 sedan Journey RWD they sell for approx 15k lots of factors but average in good condition
The Beast LS460 ....found a 2011 nice color combo selling for $15,500
The all in one....2013 Sporty and classy Lexus GS350....they average approx 17 to 20k right now

Drove the GS today and it felt right....tight steering....nice modern interior to upgrade me from my aged LS430......classy looks.....enough power to get down the road. After looking closer at the car I saw rust on the pulleys and corrosion in other spots....red flag.....rust belt....got down and looked under the ole gal....could only see the exhaust but thats all I needed to see......too much rust for me to stretch my budget for. They offered the car at $14900 if I would buy today......108k miles on it.......still NO THANKS. Then since it was the last days of Toyotathon the manager insisted I drive a new Camry. Long story short.....those Camrys look great...I tip my hat to the Carroll Shelby of Camry design. That said all I could think about while I was driving that Camry was the 7 year older car with 108k miles on it.
SO MY QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!
Do you think a 2013 GS350 with 100k miles on it is ............
1. Still crushes a brand new Camry
2. Worth more then a brand new Camry?
3. A smart buy over a brand new Camry?

Worded differently............Most of the GS350's that I have looked at that are in good condition with just under 100k miles are selling for on average $18 to $19k
A brand new Camry SE is selling for somewhere around $23K ???? Correct me if I am wrong But I know used Camrys with almost no miles on them are selling all day for $19k

So in my screwed up poorly worded way of asking a question...........is the Lexus just that much better that it makes good sense to buy one that has already run 100k down the road for close to what a new or damn close to new Camry would sell for? Lets call it $19 K for the Lex with 100k miles on it vs $19k for the Camry with 12k miles on it....dealer car...loaner...whatever......

Just pickin your brains.........for me personally I would rather jump in the Lex and ride.....but it sure doesnt seem to make good financial sense.
Congrats on selling your LS!
At those prices, the Camry beats the GS all day every day. (An average 100k 2013 GS350 should be closer to 11, a clean example maybe 13, and the finest examples maybe 14, and maybe add 2 to each price if buying from a dealer) Full warranty still on a Camry. 0 warranty on the GS. (2016 and 17 Toyota Avalon Limited, with 6 cyl and 6 speed auto transmission may also be worth a look, with very low mileage examples selling below 20 and getting 30 mpg.) The Camry is a great car....
Old 01-05-20, 04:52 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

A Camry SE? Really? You might was well have kept the LS. The Camry probably is more "sporty", but just barely. Maybe.
Old 01-05-20, 04:56 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Of those get the 460. It's in another league entirely than the others.

I drove a 2014 Avalon top trim two days ago and it's not as nice or fast as even my 430. A Camry holds zero appeal for me at any level.
No kidding. It's like putting a spoiler and ground effects on your refrigerator. I've owned them before and they are a great driving appliance, but no way would I go from a LS to a Camry unless it was just a financial decision.
Old 01-05-20, 07:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
A Camry SE? Really? You might was well have kept the LS. The Camry probably is more "sporty", but just barely. Maybe.
The current V6 model is .1 slower to 60 than a 430 and past 60 cant hang at all in the 60-150 range. Plus the gear hunting and engine noise is horrible in comparison to the effortless glide of the 3UZ-FE, again not even in the same class of car.

On my my drive to Florida in my 430 I was in command of the road unless an SRT, M car, or AMG decided to blaze past. Normal cars do not follow a LS past 110

Quick Reply: Whats the next move in the Lexus family after the LS430