Subwoofer acting stupid

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 08:45 AM
Balushika
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subwoofer acting stupid

Hi guys ,,

I've got a 2005 LS430 original radio and everything.

A while ago my music started breaking up when bass comes a little high, this used to happen at volume of 25-30 , I disconnected the subwoofer from the amp and it can play music to Max without problem, so problem caused by the sub.

That's when I decided to investigate my subwoofer and I found it almost dead and perhaps causing some electrical issues.

Now I had one ford original subwoofer that was removed from my 07 mustang to install a pioneer, I did some fabrication work and installed it, it sounds much much much better and the sound feels more correct.

Now I can raise the volume but it starts breaking when I reach 45-48 or if a song with massive bass played like Kiki.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening ?
I'm suspecting that my amp is almost dead, what do you guys think or recommend??

Old 11-27-19, 09:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

my understanding is from memory the sub is 12 ohms and no aftermarket was that, it was 16 or 8. going back to hs physics v=ir. I guess many say that's hs so I will not worry about it and drop a 16 or 8 in there and call it a day. We know that is not the right way.....one would think Ford is standard as well 16 or 8...or even 4....
Old 11-27-19, 01:05 PM
Balushika
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
my understanding is from memory the sub is 12 ohms and no aftermarket was that, it was 16 or 8. going back to hs physics v=ir. I guess many say that's hs so I will not worry about it and drop a 16 or 8 in there and call it a day. We know that is not the right way.....one would think Ford is standard as well 16 or 8...or even 4....
The ford sub says on it 1.2 Ohm 60w x 2 (Doesnt say max or RMS).

My concern is that when I raise the volume on a bassy song the sound start stop and comes back again like breaking up, I couldn't understand why is that happening, could it be overheating amp ? Or amp is weak and almost gone ??
Old 11-27-19, 03:37 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Balushika
The ford sub says on it 1.2 Ohm 60w x 2 (Doesnt say max or RMS).

My concern is that when I raise the volume on a bassy song the sound start stop and comes back again like breaking up, I couldn't understand why is that happening, could it be overheating amp ? Or amp is weak and almost gone ??
If your LS430 is equipped with a Pioneer sound system, the 1.2 ohm subwoofer should be OK (but 2 ohm is ideal). However if you have a Mark Livinson sound system, the 1.2 ohm impedance is much too low (16 ohm is ideal). All that being said, subwoofer of any impedance rating will make sound. Lower-than-specify impedance subwoofer will tend to allow more current to pass through the subwoofer and can cause the amplifier to overheat. Higher-than-specify impedance subwoofer will not allow enough current to pass through the subwoofer and produce less sound.

Most modern amplifiers are equipped with over-current protection and will cut out when such conditions occur. They are the "breaking up" you experienced while playing a bassy song at higher volume. Repeated abuse of the over-current protection circuit can cause premature failures.

Please take a look Post #23 at the link below for more details...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-woofer-2.html
Old 11-27-19, 08:32 PM
Balushika
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
If your LS430 is equipped with a Pioneer sound system, the 1.2 ohm subwoofer should be OK (but 2 ohm is ideal). However if you have a Mark Livinson sound system, the 1.2 ohm impedance is much too low (16 ohm is ideal). All that being said, subwoofer of any impedance rating will make sound. Lower-than-specify impedance subwoofer will tend to allow more current to pass through the subwoofer and can cause the amplifier to overheat. Higher-than-specify impedance subwoofer will not allow enough current to pass through the subwoofer and produce less sound.

Most modern amplifiers are equipped with over-current protection and will cut out when such conditions occur. They are the "breaking up" you experienced while playing a bassy song at higher volume. Repeated abuse of the over-current protection circuit can cause premature failures.

Please take a look Post #23 at the link below for more details...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-woofer-2.html

Thank you for spending time and effort to elaborate on my issue.
my Lexus is equipped with Mark Livinson sound system
If that's the case I might remove the pioneer sub from my mustang and try it on the Lexus, if it succeeded than I'll keep it to the Lexus and return the original into the ford.

The pioneer subwoofer I have is

Pioneer TS-SW2002D2

Shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils

How should hook the dual wires into the Lexus harness that has only single channel ?
I hope it specs matches the Lexus amp.
Old 11-28-19, 05:02 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Balushika
The pioneer subwoofer I have is Pioneer TS-SW2002D2, Shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils
How should hook the dual wires into the Lexus harness that has only single channel?
I hope it specs matches the Lexus amp.
Again, the 2-ohm DVC will only give you 4-ohm impedance when wired in series. It's still too low for the Mark Livinson amplifier which is design to drive a 16-ohm subwoofer. In other words, the proper subwoofer should measure about 14.5-ohm resistance with a multi-meter. An 8-ohm DVC will be more appropriate.

Please check out Post #8 on the link below for wiring instructions...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-ml-sub.html

Last edited by rkw77080; 11-28-19 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-29-19, 12:48 PM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts

Fit the Dayton sub mentioned in several other threads on here.
Costs $35 and works perfectly with the ML system.
Old 12-01-19, 04:49 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Running a 2 or 4 ohm sub is a bad idea as it is rated for a 12 ohm speaker. A 2 or 4 ohm speaker in a ML system may likely damage the amp.

I suggest you run an 8 or 16 ohm speaker instead and the amp should be fine. All other things being equal, and simplified, an 8 ohm speaker will sound a little louder at a given volume than a 16 ohm speaker (but how loud it sounds is more complicated than that - variance based on speaker sensitivity, amp power stage, and sound frequency range).

DVC and Dayton have 8 and 12 ohm speakers - check out ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-8-DVC-S....c100008.m2219

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-01-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 06:24 AM
Balushika
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys thanks all for your participations I'm really happy with the effort everyone is putting by sharing infos.

About my issue, it turned out to be my amp was weak and it overheats quickly than it start shut off on high volumes.

I went to the scrap yard and found several Toyota celsiors RHD over there , I pulled one of the amps and here's the surprise, it's an original Toyota made by pioneer, very clean almost new, not even a single dirt on it, I bought it with some wiring I needed, I just did the install and wow !! I mean wow !!

The pioneer sounded better than the ML, I got all my stuff back together and got it on place.

Now about the sub ,, the mustang sub sounds really low, there's almost no bass coming out of it, veeeery very low bass, therefore, I'll search through your recommendations or I might pull original used one from the scrap yard from a scrapped celsior to install and enjoy !!

I'll keep you posted guys,
I'll leave you with the photos
If any of u needs a similar pioneer sub I can arrange for some to be shipped to the US.

Regards.

Old 12-03-19, 06:13 AM
Balushika
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys ,,

That's probably gonna be my last update unless I found new sub, it turned out that there's a difference in the sub wiring between us and Japanese spec's, therefore I cutted out the Japanese harness and did external wirinngs of my own and tested it outside, the ford sub vibrated so hard that it almost fall out of my hands lol.

So I did some insulation work into the wires and returned everything in place, I dunno it seams to me that the bass isn't that strong but I'm not gonna complain, I mean it's Lexus it's not supposed to sound crazy bass I have my mustang for such moods , but it's fairly good.

Should I consider same replacement options for the pioneer amp ? Or is there other suggestions ?

Thanks a lot for your support during this thread, see you in the near future with new experiment !!

That's the plug I pulled from the Japanese harness and the wirings during test mood

I installed it in place and left the original one beside the amp (too much hustle to remove)

For the first time I decided to listen to my dad and do some good looking job to my wires 😂😂😂