LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

anybody know the scientific reason why lug nuts need to be rechecked?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 09:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default anybody know the scientific reason why lug nuts need to be rechecked?

btw a buddy long ago said expansion of metals i.e. thermal expansion coefficients....

I finally put my snows on yesterday. They are on separate rims with another set of lug nuts.

Went downstairs in the garage at work, and all 20 were loose lol

Now we have 4 cars and 3 have snows, and honestly? I've never been able to put rhyme/reason on under what circumstances retightening is needed. More often, it is not. 2 of our cars are RWD so that means the front wheels cannot be torqued off the ground. But on the LS I said all 20--so off the ground doesn't seem to matter. The rears were tightened off the ground.

I grabbed this link and it really doesn't say why, rather that it's needed...

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...orquing-wheels
Old 12-09-19, 10:44 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

From your link:

Torque is the unit of measurement for the twisting force that’s applied to a lug nut. Mechanics will ensure that each lug nut has been torqued to the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications when first fitting a wheel. But a second follow-up check is also necessary.

This is because, after a reasonable amount of time, the lug nuts will undergo the typical stresses and forces of a car in daily use. These stresses include supporting the weight of the vehicle, the rotational effects of driving, cycles of warming and cooling, and nudges from bumps in the road. Such stresses can cause a slight shift in the seating of the lug nuts, which may result in tightening or loosening.

The presence of dirt, sand, rust, or grit between surfaces such as the threads of the nut or between a nut and the wheel can also create “false torques” during the initial fitting, where the force applied overcomes the friction but doesn’t translate into clamping force.

For these reasons, many car garages and tire dealers will invite drivers to come back the next working day to have their wheels retorqued. It’s a quick procedure, usually offered free of charge, which involves inspecting each lug nut on the wheel to check if they are too tight or too loose.

If the lug nuts are too tight, they can cause severe problems such as stripping the fastener threads or stretching the wheel studs. They could also warp the brake drums, rotors, or hubs. With loose nuts, meanwhile, there’s a small risk that the wheel could come off while you’re on the road. The chances of this ever happening are very low – but if it did happen, your safety and that of other road users would be at risk.
Old 12-09-19, 10:45 AM
notroman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing scientific about it. If the tech at the shop doesn't torque the lug nuts properly they have time to catch it and re-torque them before your wheel flies off. Even if the proper torque is applied, little things like dirty threads or other contamination can give invalid torque readings resulting in under-tightened lug nuts. After you drive a bit, they will loosen further. Again, the re-torque interval is just to make sure nothing like that happened.

If there was really a scientific reason for you to re-torque your lug nuts after a certain amount of time/distance, then you'd have to do it every time you cross that threshold, not just once
Old 12-09-19, 12:06 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by notroman
After you drive a bit, they will loosen further.
This is fact, on some rims/lugs, such as my LS430 winter tires. But not the others, for the most part. So could be a mine is not to reason why deal lol

In the real world, I torqued my rims to 76 ft. lbs. Drove 13 miles, and all 20 were loose. So it's prudent to check, yes. Then again on the factory rims/nuts, same car, they are not loose after remounting. Maybe I'm on to something! The nuts were provided by the outfit who sold the rims, not really anything special. MSW 17x8's forget what model, the one everybody gets.
Old 12-09-19, 01:58 PM
notroman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This is fact, on some rims/lugs, such as my LS430 winter tires. But not the others, for the most part. So could be a mine is not to reason why deal lol

In the real world, I torqued my rims to 76 ft. lbs. Drove 13 miles, and all 20 were loose. So it's prudent to check, yes. Then again on the factory rims/nuts, same car, they are not loose after remounting. Maybe I'm on to something! The nuts were provided by the outfit who sold the rims, not really anything special. MSW 17x8's forget what model, the one everybody gets.
Make sure your lug nuts match the seating surface on the rims. I'm assuming you're using factory lugs with factory wheels and these provided aftermarket lugs with the MSW wheels?
Old 12-09-19, 04:06 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Oh wow they all came loose just like that? I will check mine. Thank you for this information (about to make a long trip soon - safety is important for me)
Old 12-10-19, 05:06 AM
rrgone
Driver

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Oh wow they all came loose just like that? I will check mine. Thank you for this information (about to make a long trip soon - safety is important for me)
Ditto this. I had the original chrome wheels and lug nuts replaced when I got new tires about 2 months ago. Costco tech told us to return to have torque rechecked. Have not done so yet but I will check them with the lug wrench to make sure none are obviously loose. I'll have Costco recheck torque when we go there this weekend.
Old 12-10-19, 05:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My snows are on the MSW aftermarket rims, and with the rims came new lug nuts.

After driving 13 miles home yesterday, despite the rain, I decided to recheck, and lo and behold, more nuts were loose, but not all 20. It will be interesting to see at lunch if we are done or not.

I've been using a torque wrench for over 20 years, and I guess I just never gave it this much thought--I always carried it in my trunk until I didn't need to tighten anymore, sometimes 3X.

The answer here seems to be just like the case where my wife's coolant was high, after cooling overnight. Google had no explanation until I discovered the collapsed upper rad hose. It's surprising how some of the threads online say it's just a CYA--it isn't!

Again, before, I had thought there were two factors. Aftermarket rims, and tightening off the ground, such as the fronts on a RWD. Because with the BMW, they too need retightening with the snows on aftermarket rims, but the nuts are the factory ones (I don't know how they decide but with German cars usually the factory nuts which are actually studs as the hubs are female, are used), More to come...
Old 12-10-19, 06:35 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...erious-subject

In the Modern Tire Dealer article it reads that lug nuts not tight enough will eventually loosen (may it be factors, others have mentioned in this thread, causing false torque readings...?)
Old 12-10-19, 07:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...erious-subject

In the Modern Tire Dealer article it reads that lug nuts not tight enough will eventually loosen (may it be factors, others have mentioned in this thread, causing false torque readings...?)
My torque wrench is calibrated and I never use antiseize on the wheels other than around the hub and the center opening of the wheel--not the studs. But this is how I envision it from a practical standpoint. Any work done on car at all, by me or shop (like state inspection where they are supposed to pull all wheels but I believe they never do at BMW because they have a tool that peers through the wheel opening and can measure brake pad thickness). I loosen all the nuts, then torque to spec. Now I drive around with the torque wrench and extension and socket. Get out after arriving at work, tighten. Tighten again at home. Tighten again next day at work. Usually that's it, take wrench back out. It seems to be all or nothing. With my wife's SUV, it never ever needs to be retorqued. BMW needs it, both factory and snows. Lexus needs it snows only. This may as mentioned need to be a mine is not to reason why, just do it!

p.s. good article esp. the seat, and torque sections. Seat is probably how the etailer selling the rims decides whether or not to include new lug nuts/bolts...
Old 12-10-19, 09:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

went to the garage, and on the right side, no nuts were loose. On the driver side, about 4 were loose. dag--I think when I go 13 miles home, they will all be tight, and I take the torque wrench out of the car. So as you can see, if these were mounted by a shop, coming back the next day one time, won't cut it.

edit fyi this is the wheel it is a very popular one for snows due to low cost, and having an offset that is suitable, but also wider than stock. My wife said are these tires tiny? I said yes, I like my snows like my fiancés, tall, and slender

Last edited by Johnhav430; 12-10-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 09:46 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

went to the garage, and on the right side, no nuts were loose. On the driver side, about 4 were loose. dag--I think when I go 13 miles home, they will all be tight, and I take the torque wrench out of the car. So as you can see, if these were mounted by a shop, coming back the next day one time, won't cut it.

edit fyi this is the wheel it is a very popular one for snows due to low cost, and having an offset that is suitable, but also wider than stock. My wife said are these tires tiny? I said yes, I like my snows like my fiancés, tall, and slender
Do you experience the same phenomenon with summer tires and wheels. What wheels are with your summer tires?

Old 12-10-19, 09:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Do you experience the same phenomenon with summer tires and wheels. What wheels are with your summer tires?
My summers are the factory 18x7.5 5-spoke, with factory nuts and the mcgard lock that came from the port when the car was sold. No, does not need to be retightened.

BMW with factory rims (style 189) and factory nuts which are actually male, they need to be retightened....

1998 Nissan factory rims no snows, need to be retightened

wife's 2011 GM SUV factory rims and nuts, never needs to be retightened

Maybe it all has to do with seating....
Old 12-10-19, 12:23 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I wonder if the nuts themselves could be defective?
Old 12-11-19, 08:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Man went home and loose again. I looked online and there were more references to the clamping force between nut and rim. So I took all 20 off and inspected. The nut is conical (factory is much less so)--it has to press against the holes in the rim. There is corrosion on all the nuts.

Anyway, I torqued to 76 ft. lbs. Drove to gym, 2 miles. Tight. Drove to home for shower. Tight. Drove to work. Loose again.

In thinking about it, I do not believe the nuts are rotating counter-clockwise, rather, the amount of clamping has changed. One problem noted online was room temperature nuts, applied in cold weather (bingo it was 25F when I did it and nuts were inside).

I can't believe how I am way overthinking, but such is life. For whatever reasons, no matter how much we think we know, we learn something new. The fact that I could drive 2 miles, then 2 miles, and all tight, makes me feel like nuts are not simply rotating counter-clockwise and off. It's a change between the rim holes and the nuts....I think they will get tightened, but I wanted to start over...

Quick Reply: anybody know the scientific reason why lug nuts need to be rechecked?