LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Taillight Failure, new Bulb Didn't Light, bad Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 03:03 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Taillight Failure, new Bulb Didn't Light, bad Connection?

I've posted here before about a blown taillight and it was a simple fix. However I got another "TAILLIGHT FAILURE" light, red triangle, and the "ding!" noise, however, when I rolled into JiffyLube for what I'd thought be a 10 minute, $7 bulb fix turned out that the new bulb didnt light up either. They said it may be the socket, however other searches around here may say it may be the new bulb they're using is causing issues because of the amperage draw, but what confuses me is that the new bulb didnt light up, and wouldn't a different spec bulb light up but still throw the warning light, but this new bulb not lighting up indicate something with the plug, wire or a fuse?

Also this taillight failure is the passenger side, body mounted top taillight.
Old 12-16-19, 05:09 PM
Yamae

Received 886 Likes on 668 Posts

Those tail light bulbs are supplied the 12V DC power via the failure sensor circuit called the “Multiplex Rear Junction Computer”/ "Luggage Room J/B" ECU. Sometimes it causes a open circuit problem inside. Check connections and soldering points where the big current going through such as the current sensing registers, FET's source and drain and connector's soldering points. Heated soldering points are sometimes cracked or melted due to the high inrush current to bulbs when aged.
The photo in the link below shows the sensing circuit in the unit.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9345251

Last edited by Yamae; 12-16-19 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BTC89LS400 (12-17-19)
Old 12-17-19, 03:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I know with GM vehicles it's common for the socket to require replacement. My wife's is a 2011 pre LED, so it's notorious for having only one side working. After dancing around with bulb replacements, one day, I replaced the bulb and working, next day not. Move the bulb to other side, good. Found a Jeep forum where someone said in his experience quick bulb failure (or immediate) is not actually the bulb but the socket. Replaced the socket and used dielectric grease, and worked right away. The one I removed was all burned and brown/discolored. jmo on when a brand new bulb doesn't work....Volvo many years ago was the same, it was a circuit board that needed replacement....(p.s. GMs TSB to increase the wattage of the bulb from 27 to 31.x fails HS physics, as we know V=IR so that's not gonna help the situation just may burn out later than sooner--this move cost some GMC owners $1000+ per side but that's GM lol)
Old 12-17-19, 06:28 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know with GM vehicles it's common for the socket to require replacement. My wife's is a 2011 pre LED, so it's notorious for having only one side working. After dancing around with bulb replacements, one day, I replaced the bulb and working, next day not. Move the bulb to other side, good. Found a Jeep forum where someone said in his experience quick bulb failure (or immediate) is not actually the bulb but the socket. Replaced the socket and used dielectric grease, and worked right away. The one I removed was all burned and brown/discolored. jmo on when a brand new bulb doesn't work....Volvo many years ago was the same, it was a circuit board that needed replacement....(p.s. GMs TSB to increase the wattage of the bulb from 27 to 31.x fails HS physics, as we know V=IR so that's not gonna help the situation just may burn out later than sooner--this move cost some GMC owners $1000+ per side but that's GM lol)

I’m gonna check the trunk junction box to check the circuit board, if nothing is wrong with the board or fuses, I’m thinking of snagging the socket wire off Bell Lexus at around $60. I also did run a scan on my car awhile ago and it came back with 4 trunk junction box codes. I didn’t worry at first since nothing happened till now, but I’m going to scan it again and save the codes.
Old 12-24-19, 09:39 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BTC89LS400
I’m gonna check the trunk junction box to check the circuit board, if nothing is wrong with the board or fuses, I’m thinking of snagging the socket wire off Bell Lexus at around $60. I also did run a scan on my car awhile ago and it came back with 4 trunk junction box codes. I didn’t worry at first since nothing happened till now, but I’m going to scan it again and save the codes.
didn’t have to go far, found out both jiffy lube and I were looking at the blinker bulb and not the top taillight. So I had already ordered a right side taillight wire assembly and each new bulbs, replaced it, still had the light, that was now the right side trunk mounted brake light, swapped with the bottom brake light bulb from the old wire set, tested, no warning light, later that night I get it and the warning light is back on.
Are the bulbs not sitting right or was swapped the wire set opening Pandora’s box?