LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Changed nav unit climate control still doesn’t work

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 06:32 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changed nav unit climate control still doesn’t work

Previous nav unit had gone completely dark.

This newly installed one just shows this:

Fuses were tested.

Any insights on this are appreciated.

Thanks,

Skip

Old 12-18-19, 05:24 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you get your screen from a 01-03 ls430? The only thing I could think of is a 04-06 screen wouldn't work with your 03.
Old 12-18-19, 05:41 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jharris400
Did you get your screen from a 01-03 ls430? The only thing I could think of is a 04-06 screen wouldn't work with your 03.
Thanks.

Actually, I matched the part # of the nav unit in the trunk. This one I believe came out of a 2004 RX330.
The following users liked this post:
0011 (12-31-19)
Old 12-18-19, 07:09 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 114 Posts

load up Techstream and see if there are any faults in the Climate Control ECU
wnyjazz (12-23-19)
Old 12-18-19, 11:42 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought you were talking about the LCD in the dash, so you replaced the Nav unit in the trunk with the DVD drive? I can't tell you if a rx330 one would work, I do know you can upgrade to a gen4 one from a prius and possibly other cars, there is a thread around here somewhere going over that.
Old 12-20-19, 11:07 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jharris400
I thought you were talking about the LCD in the dash, so you replaced the Nav unit in the trunk with the DVD drive? I can't tell you if a rx330 one would work, I do know you can upgrade to a gen4 one from a prius and possibly other cars, there is a thread around here somewhere going over that.
Right, I replaced the nav unit in the trunk.

I hopefully will find out by tomorrow what the problem is.
Old 12-22-19, 09:58 PM
bbtri
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a climate control issue and it turned out to be the board behind the screen
wnyjazz (12-27-19)
Old 12-25-19, 08:07 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Greetings,

I've seen this error screen on a 2004 RX330 when I did a thread on a Nav delete.

Before I started the NAV downgrade/delete I removed the Navigation Display plugs one by one to see what happens and that's how I got this error.

One of the plugs made the screen go completely dark when I unplugged it.
One of the plugs gave this same error screen you have when I unplugged it.
I'm pretty sure the last plug only killed the navigation but I don't remember.
Have you pulled the Nav display in your dash to see if your plugs are loose?

Maybe someone else has ideas?

Last edited by Margate330; 12-25-19 at 08:18 PM.
wnyjazz (12-27-19)
Old 12-25-19, 08:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Attach a dealer level tool and scan to see what module is unable to be seen and then check the connectors to ensure they are pushed in and undamaged. Then tell us what happened
Old 12-25-19, 09:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Can you plz add some context for us and tell us how you came to decide the Nav Player ECU in the trunk was defective and not the Nav in the dash???

Last edited by Margate330; 12-25-19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 12:43 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

My thought was the simplest/quickest way to get it diagnosed via Techstream was to take it to a dealer. We live out in a very rural area ; the closest Lexus dealer is 1 hour away. There was a Toyota dealer within the range that my roadside assistance policy covered, so I had it towed there. No surprise they said the climate control is not communicating with the ECU. There suggestion is to replace the head unit, something their techs wanted no part of though. An indy shop I’ve taken to it before said they would replace it...if their own diagnosis leads them to that conclusion. They insisted though on sourcing the used unit themselves.

Here’s the codes the Toyota dealer techs found.

Last edited by wnyjazz; 01-10-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 01:43 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by wnyjazz
Previous nav unit had gone completely dark.

This newly installed one just shows this:

Fuses were tested.

Any insights on this are appreciated.

Thanks,

Skip
Thanks.

Actually, I matched the part # of the nav unit in the trunk. This one I believe came out of a 2004 RX330.
Right, I replaced the nav unit in the trunk.

I hopefully will find out by tomorrow what the problem is.
My thought was the simplest/quickest way to get it diagnosed via Techstream was to take it to a dealer. We live out in a very rural area ; the closest Lexus dealer is 1 hour away. There was a Toyota dealer within the range that my roadside assistance policy covered, so I had it towed there. No surprise they said the climate control is not communicating with the ECU. There suggestion is to replace the head unit, something their techs wanted no part of though. An indy shop I’ve taken to it before said they would replace it...if their own diagnosis leads them to that conclusion. They insisted though on sourcing the used unit themselves.

Here’s the codes the Toyota dealer techs found.
Very sorry for your trouble. Fairly standard for repair facility to only wish to use own-sourced parts for various reasons, but primarily due to wishing to avoid issues of customer-sourced parts, especially electrical parts, repair failing. An indy in my area who has a very good reputation for correct diagnosis and repair will do a job with a customers parts, but tells customer up front he will mark up labor 1/3 with no guarantee for the job and etc. to deter such requests. Said just not worth the hassle if/when a customer's own part fails and car sits taking a space until customer returns bad part and has new one which may be days and then customer is unhappy to pay labor again somehow thinking indy should help, causing reputation decline.

But, as you have already put in so much effort yourself, if you wish to go a bit further, maybe ask around who may be great or the best at stereo radio installation (young people with big sound coming from their cars and gathering spots of such cars may be a good source for the name of a shop or a tech at a shop who may likely be happy to a side job for a reasonable fee). It won't hurt to ask if this is something you may wish to consider. Of course, speak with a tech directly if you want the low side job rate and ask tech how high is degree of confidence issue will be resolved. A good radio installation shop may be an option, but, shop may also only wish to use shop sourced parts if needed. But, if a couple of young car enthusiasts come up with the same name of who is the best, that person may have the skills and expertise to resolve, and at a reasonable price.
wnyjazz (12-27-19)
Old 12-27-19, 03:39 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I am sorry friend that's what I was afraid of too but I didn't want to scare anyone.
Edit: And other posters were obviously thinking the same thing.

There are 2 wires that go from the Nav in dash to the Gateway ECU that are responsible for AC control and trip data, etc and without these hooked up and communicating they don't work.
At least that was my experience on a 2004 RX330 which it looks may be similar since they sent you the Nav DVD ECU from the same car as mine.

Last edited by Margate330; 12-27-19 at 03:43 PM.
wnyjazz (12-27-19)
Old 12-27-19, 03:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The entire car's base level data communication system is interlaced with and runs thru the Audio and NAV units (and their cables), as well as the screens and cables. Installing a new/used replacement component that is not exactly match the existing system can cause weird comm errors or outright fault of entire component to operate or power up.

If possible source exact matches for used components out of exact same model year LS430 to minimize issues like this. I'd also change just one item at a time to help diagnose any issues.
wnyjazz (12-27-19)
Old 12-27-19, 04:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The entire car's base level data communication system is interlaced with and runs thru the Audio and NAV units (and their cables), as well as the screens and cables. Installing a new/used replacement component that is not exactly match the existing system can cause weird comm errors or outright fault of entire component to operate or power up.

If possible source exact matches for used components out of exact same model year LS430 to minimize issues like this. I'd also change just one item at a time to help diagnose any issues.
This is true.

We are assuming you got the correct parts to begin with because you said you matched the numbers and it came from a RX330.

Quick Reply: Changed nav unit climate control still doesn’t work