LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's Your Next Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 06:17 PM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's Your Next Ride?

Traveling in my 430 this weekend for the holiday and it's so comfortable. I stopped by Bell Lexus in Scottsdale,AZ and saw a few new LS500 and ES350s. I'm liking their what Lexus is doing to their vehicles. My question to you all is after your LS430 hits the graveyard..what do you plan to buy next as a replacement? I'm thinking a new ES300H or a reliable truck.
Old 12-23-19, 06:34 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JS116
Traveling in my 430 this weekend for the holiday and it's so comfortable. I stopped by Bell Lexus in Scottsdale,AZ and saw a few new LS500 and ES350s. I'm liking their what Lexus is doing to their vehicles. My question to you all is after your LS430 hits the graveyard..what do you plan to buy next as a replacement? I'm thinking a new ES300H or a reliable truck.
Lexus LC500
Bmw M240i or M2
BMW M340i
Porsche Cayman (the older flat 6 version)
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Lexus GS350
Lexus GSF
Honda Civic Type R
Porsche Panamera
Lotus Evora
Mercedes E53 AMG
Subaru BRZ

crazy list, I know, but those are all of the cars I would consider for myself.
Old 12-23-19, 07:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Well my Lexus only serves as my daily so probably another 430 if mine is hit (it will not die since it would have to successfully **** me off enough I don't feel like fixing it, other than that I am willing as it stands to rebuild the engine as many times as needed) and I'm actually thinking of upgrading my base model to a CL or UL since these are so easy to work on and overall such nice cars.

My 2002 has been fantastic and "too" easy to repair so I'm ready to add a optioned out version since the maintenance items are very simple and I've had practice replacing all the common stuff that breaks. Mine will be a very easy flip if I want to sell it but I may just keep it or give it to my grandpa since he takes extremely good care of cars and always wanted a flagship Lexus.

I have a 2000 Jeep WJ for trail use/towing/hauling stuff and to do rough stuff work in, a 1988 Aries for no reason other than to practice welding on body panels and to do stupid stuff to (underglow, too many subwoofers, crazy paints) and my toy/misguided insanely in the form of 2003 ram 1500 I thought would be hilarious to fully build into a 4x4 light to light monster with a 410ci supercharged engine. Stupid things engine in parts alone was $16000, I don't even want to total up how much it cost overall......but hey it's fun to have a trackhawk equivalent in a sleeper body style. The Lexus is that trucks counterpart, slow, quiet, comfortable, and doesn't vibrate so much the mirrors are useless.

Last edited by Striker223; 12-23-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 07:41 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 114 Posts

McLaren F1.
Old 12-23-19, 07:51 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

This ls430 is one of the newest cars I've owned, I prefer older ones because I find them more enjoyable to drive (80 series land cruiser, w124 mercedes, d2 s8 are some of the other cars recently owned).
currently in a loaner rx350 from the dealership and what a disappointment. Lots of tech and screens that already look like they will be redundant in a couple of years, but outside of newer safety features that are always welcome, the car sucks. Engine is noisy, feels really weird to drive maybe it's all the drive by wire or something I dont know, and I would expect that by now lexus would have figured out how to transfer the sound deadening from a 15 year old ls into their brand new models, but not by a long shot.
the car is also glitching - occasional random chime to warn me about something when I start driving it but there is nothing on the dash or anywhere to tell me what its upset about, turned it off with the button but it kept the radio etc on and told me to turn off the car, but it was off and I was already getting out of it, etc.
Long way to say that while I haven't test driven a lot of new cars, the few I've driven recently look snazzy and have lots of led lights, screens, etc all over them but they are pretty soulless and boring to drive.
I love these threads because sometimes someone will offer a suggestion worth investigating further, but in the mean time my next personal car is likely going to be something 20+ years old, and ideally with three pedals! Enjoy the last few years of petrol and driving myself before an all electric autopilot future, ha
Old 12-23-19, 08:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

I thought I'd make the progression from 400-430-460... As friends neighbors did their updates they discovered that they found the complexity and nannys to be irritating. The safety aspect was great and a few found out how good those were. I liked the modern touches but not the electronics. The nice part about old is the simplicity and yet there are still enough electronics that as age continues those become more concerns. The newer cars are not IMO intended for those owners who intend to drive them well beyond 100K miles. The electronics don't seem to have the longevity. If I have to replace I'll look for the most basic '04-'06 LS 430.

Took a GS 350 out and it drives nice, the engine note was ok. When it came to the RX and ES I don't want to hear the engine. It simply becomes a car to get me place to place with a bit more style-comfort than a Toyota badged variant. The dealer didn't have a GS-F as I suspect that would probably get me. I followed that with a Panamera S and dang that is a fun car. Just comes with the Porsche price which is not within my wallet comfort.

That led me to conclude I really am not drawn to the latest cars. I'm content to drive this aging barge and not get noticed other than people may think "that's an OLD LS400!" LOL
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (12-25-19)
Old 12-23-19, 08:56 PM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
Lexus LC500
Bmw M240i or M2
BMW M340i
Porsche Cayman (the older flat 6 version)
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Lexus GS350
Lexus GSF
Honda Civic Type R
Porsche Panamera
Lotus Evora
Mercedes E53 AMG
Subaru BRZ

crazy list, I know, but those are all of the cars I would consider for myself.
Nice List! I need to look into the Porsche's since I see a lot of folks talking about switching to them. I'm all for longevity in my cars as I would try to keep my vehicle as long as possible. I would try to jump straight into another LS but I'm hesitant because parts (especially body parts) are very expensive for our vehicles. I love my old ES because it shares the same platform as a camry which makes parts dirt cheap and accessible everywhere.

If I was to make a desirable top 9 it would go as follows:

1) 2019-Up ES300h
2) 2013-Up LS460
3) 2019-Up Toyota Corolla Hatch
4) 2019-Up Toyota Avalon
5) 2015-Up F150 Platinum
6) 2014-Up Tundra Crewmax
7) All Years Honda Ridgeline RTL
8) All Years LS500
9) Hyundai Palisade

Old 12-24-19, 03:07 AM
100Cars
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is an interesting question. I am coming from a bit of a different perspective on this. As my forum name indicates, I've owned 100 cars in my life. The LS430 was actually #100. I am all over the board with cars and have had everything from Yugos to brand new S class Mercedes. As I've posted in another thread, I paid $1500 for my 2002 LS430, random Facebook Marketplace find. I wasn't looking for one, it just happened to pop up. I went to go look at it and drive it and fell in love with it. I am seriously considering getting a nicer, possibly newer one to replace it. I'd like to get one with all possible options, like the air suspension, adaptive cruise, etc. One that was thoroughly and properly maintained and free of issues.

On a side note, and somewhat related, I also own a 2019 BMW X3 that I am thinking about trading on something else, and as a result of the LS430, I am seriously looking at a new Lexus. Maybe an LX if it's a good enough deal. Also I want to drive the new body LS. Other than that, I am a diesel fan, so X5 diesel and Mazda CX-5 diesel are high on the list to replace the BMW as well. If I end up getting another LS430, it will be to replace my existing LS430. I'd also condiser an AWD LS460 too.
The following users liked this post:
Peacebay (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 07:01 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JS116
Nice List! I need to look into the Porsche's since I see a lot of folks talking about switching to them. I'm all for longevity in my cars as I would try to keep my vehicle as long as possible. I would try to jump straight into another LS but I'm hesitant because parts (especially body parts) are very expensive for our vehicles. I love my old ES because it shares the same platform as a camry which makes parts dirt cheap and accessible everywhere.

If I was to make a desirable top 9 it would go as follows:

1) 2019-Up ES300h
2) 2013-Up LS460
3) 2019-Up Toyota Corolla Hatch
4) 2019-Up Toyota Avalon
5) 2015-Up F150 Platinum
6) 2014-Up Tundra Crewmax
7) All Years Honda Ridgeline RTL
8) All Years LS500
9) Hyundai Palisade
Ah yes, forgot to mention the Honda Ridgeline. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I ever needed a truck.

I would also love a mid-size/compact truck with a diesel inline 6, if someone actually built one of those. Not a truck guy, but if I needed a truck for towing, hauling, etc.

To be honest, I am sure the LS is one of the easiest cars on the wallet out of any large luxury sedan. These days I am more into nimble and compact cars though. I've spent enough time driving a big old 5 series 528i boat when I was younger. Great car, was extremely reliable, but left me wanting something with tighter handling.

Moving on to the topic of dream cars, it would be a "non-luxury", or "no frills" version of a BMW (50/50 weight distribution, inline 6, ZF8 speed or 6 speed manual as an option, just without the sticker price, complexity or bells and whistles and added curb weight of a modern BMW)

to add to this list, I would love to drive basically any old generation BMW, especially the e34, e39, e60 5 series.

Old 12-24-19, 12:22 PM
LSBij
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

TRD Avalon
Old 12-24-19, 12:59 PM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT. NAPA leather and a smoother ride than “luxury vehicles” costing $90k. Yes, the body is very much wagon/crossover and non-luxury but it rides smooth. And added bonus it has AWD. I’ll say it, a better ride than an LS460. Zero credibility with the luxury owners but it’s a smooth riding Swiss Army knife that will have an incredible retained value after 4 years so if you decide on something more fun; you’ll get the majority of your purchase price back. For the more budget conscious the ‘19 model(not on Subarus Global platform) is very similar in ride to the LS460 but the seats and steering aren’t in the same league.
Old 12-24-19, 06:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.bergstromauto.com/Vehicl...-WI/3555430303

Has anyone ever driven the 017 Lacrosse redesigned in 017 the reviews are stellar reliability is great. This one has tons of options.
Old 12-24-19, 07:53 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Catalina45
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT. NAPA leather and a smoother ride than “luxury vehicles” costing $90k. Yes, the body is very much wagon/crossover and non-luxury but it rides smooth. And added bonus it has AWD. I’ll say it, a better ride than an LS460. Zero credibility with the luxury owners but it’s a smooth riding Swiss Army knife that will have an incredible retained value after 4 years so if you decide on something more fun; you’ll get the majority of your purchase price back. For the more budget conscious the ‘19 model(not on Subarus Global platform) is very similar in ride to the LS460 but the seats and steering aren’t in the same league.
The outback is a fine alternative to the crossover/suv craze, pretty nice car, but Subaru's flat 4's are known to eat through head gaskets and have issues with the piston rings. Not to mention the CVT transmission which I'm sure is one of the least reliable transmissions you will ever find in a car, period.

But to compare its ride to more expensive luxury cars is particularly absurd.
Old 12-24-19, 07:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
https://www.bergstromauto.com/Vehicl...-WI/3555430303

Has anyone ever driven the 017 Lacrosse redesigned in 017 the reviews are stellar reliability is great. This one has tons of options.
No but I've replaced the transmission on one already........
Old 12-25-19, 12:16 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

And u did not test drive it? Thanks you must know then it’s an 8 speed do they use that in the Caddy’s also?

Quick Reply: What's Your Next Ride?