LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Huge Mistake? Transmisison problems flush?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 04:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,008 Likes on 803 Posts

Thank you 430 for sharing the links I enjoyed the first 2 videos and I will watch the rest later.

The shop I worked at forbided flushing the transmission we could only do repeat fluid/filter services
(included dropping the pan and cleaning the magnets of course) to cycle the new fluid in
gently with mileage between the services.

We never had a customer return to say we destroyed their transmission by doing this.
If a tranny didn't go in gear we would check the basics like shift linkage and selenoids.
But if a customer came in with a slipping tranny or the fluid was burnt and smelled we wouldn't
touch it and send them down the road to AAmco. lol

I'm not saying it's bad to do a complete flush I've always wanted to try it but I do repeat drain
and fills instead. It's not perfect and I am happy people have had great success with flushes and
maybe some day I will try it for fun.
Old 12-29-19, 11:53 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Thank you 430 for sharing the links I enjoyed the first 2 videos and I will watch the rest later.

The shop I worked at forbided flushing the transmission we could only do repeat fluid/filter services
(included dropping the pan and cleaning the magnets of course) to cycle the new fluid in
gently with mileage between the services.

We never had a customer return to say we destroyed their transmission by doing this.
If a tranny didn't go in gear we would check the basics like shift linkage and selenoids.
But if a customer came in wit Hearh a slipping tranny or the fluid was burnt and smelled we wouldn't
touch it and send them down the road to AAmco. lol

I'm not saying it's bad to do a complete flush I've always wanted to try it but I do repeat drain
and fills instead. It's not perfect and I am happy people have had great success with flushes and
maybe some day I will try it for fun.
Thinking forbidding flushing is a sound shop policy. Thinking drain and refill less risky as per your shop. e.g. Couldn't flushing a transmission which has damaged transmission material in it may mess up the valve body. Or, a customer could bring a failing transmission in, then blame a flush for problems already present. Why expose the shop to potential troubles associated with doing flushes.
And, why should one risk possible trouble by flushing a transmission on an old car one owns instead of less risky drain/replace if wanting fresh fluids.
Do have a question; if it is not good to mix different types of transmission fluid, how can not mixing different types of trans fluids even be possible when using the same machine to do flushes for different cars using different fluid types?
Old 12-29-19, 05:21 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,008 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Thinking forbidding flushing is a sound shop policy. Thinking drain and refill less risky as per your shop. e.g. Couldn't flushing a transmission which has damaged transmission material in it may mess up the valve body. Or, a customer could bring a failing transmission in, then blame a flush for problems already present. Why expose the shop to potential troubles associated with doing flushes.
And, why should one risk possible trouble by flushing a transmission on an old car one owns instead of less risky drain/replace if wanting fresh fluids.
Do have a question; if it is not good to mix different types of transmission fluid, how can not mixing different types of trans fluids even be possible when using the same machine to do flushes for different cars using different fluid types?
Yes you are correct it was too much liability for a national chain.
I noticed people were saying even the OEM dealers are turning people away
for tranny service with this lifetime fluid and filter(really just a screen) craziness
but I think it could be a liability thing too or maybe in part I don't really know.

PS- I have never seen one of those fuild fluch machines in action so I have no idea.
Maybe others know?

Last edited by Margate330; 12-29-19 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 04:17 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

First, I would then check the level at while it is hot and idling.

Second thing I would do is find out exactly how the flush was done and what ATF was used to refill.

Third thing I would do is to not add any other concoctions to the transmission. I only use Toyota T-UV (or WS in my newer Lexus)

I would then do a couple drain and fills over the next few days with Toyota T-IV. Somebody here should know if you need to clean/check the transmission filter. I don't think it's necessary but I'm not sure.

If this hasn't fixed your problem, you need someone who can actually do a diagnosis before removing the transmission. Once the transmission is removed, all diagnosis is over. You will get a "new" transmission. A questionable transmission shop won't diagnose and want to get your transmission out as quick as possible. Then you are at their mercy.
Old 12-31-19, 05:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

The filter should not need replaced, mine was almost totally clean but if you are in there do it anyway since it's never bad. It's just a fine screen
Old 12-31-19, 06:52 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by gebo
First, I would then check the level at while it is hot and idling.

Second thing I would do is find out exactly how the flush was done and what ATF was used to refill.

Third thing I would do is to not add any other concoctions to the transmission. I only use Toyota T-UV (or WS in my newer Lexus)

I would then do a couple drain and fills over the next few days with Toyota T-IV. Somebody here should know if you need to clean/check the transmission filter. I don't think it's necessary but I'm not sure.

If this hasn't fixed your problem, you need someone who can actually do a diagnosis before removing the transmission. Once the transmission is removed, all diagnosis is over. You will get a "new" transmission. A questionable transmission shop won't diagnose and want to get your transmission out as quick as possible. Then you are at their mercy.
Gebos third point is quite important. NO SNAKE OIL MAGICAL MYSTERY WONDER FLUID NONSENSE.
Mobil1 3309
Aisin T4
ToyotaT-IV
The above listed are the only real T-IV equivalents for 01 to 03 LS430s. (Toyota WS for 04 to 06)👍
Old 07-17-24, 07:14 PM
jayydela
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used transX as a last resort and it gave life back to my 01 LS430 transmission with 192k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 01:27 AM
Yamae

Received 893 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by jayydela
I used transX as a last resort and it gave life back to my 01 LS430 transmission with 192k miles.
I'd watch this. Especially 35:05 and after.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 10:24 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jayydela
. Jayydela. You are the 3rd member on this forum that has attested to having Trans X keep their Transmission working. How many miles have you driven after adding the Trans X?
Old 07-22-24, 07:43 AM
XYouthyX
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Drop the pan and inspect what is going on, pull codes if you have any and inspect the filter to see if it is plugged up. Ohm rest the solenoids to make sure they are working properly, if that fails or there are large metal bits then it's probably dead and needs to be rebuilt.
I scanned the car a few days ago, from what I know now, I need a simple trans service ( new filter, oil, new temp sensor, and one of the solenoids). This has eased my concerns on the matter a bit. But now im wondering If I should replace all the solenoids at once or if I should replace just the one that giving me problems.
Im sending the car over to the mechanic in a few days for the inspection.