LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacement ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 12:45 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacement ECU

So I've just chucked in a replacement ECU for my 00 LS430, hoping it would work right off the hop. It does have the same part number as the original, but I'm guessing I have to code it to the canbus system or whatever. The security module is disabled though. Is coding an ECU to my car something I can do on Techstream or am I going to have to put my original ECU back in and haul its sorry *** up to Toyota for them to do? At the moment, I'll plug the battery back in, crank it and it'll cough once, and then it'll only crank over but nothing else will happen.
Old 01-20-20, 05:34 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

The problem you described doesn't sound like a bad ECU.
Old 01-20-20, 06:06 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced engine ecu on my 04 ls430 years ago and I didnt have to take it to the dealer. I did it myself. Initially the same thing happened to me - replaced with same part number tried to start and engine would turn over but not start due to security. I think the security led stayed on.

There are exact instructions on here somewhere or check online google. You just have to install the new engune ecu, then calibrate it by bridging a few connections (i think it was just 2 certain ports ) in the OBD port of the car using a wire or simple paperclip works best. Once the certain ports are bridged, turn iginition to on position with the key and leave it for a short while per the instructions (i think it was for about 5 or 10 mins or so from memory, just make sure you have a charged battery in good condition) after a short time It will then recognise the new ecu via the canbus and should start. Worked for me with no issues. NOTE I am talking about the engine ecu under the hood. If you are replacing the anti theft ecu which I think is inside the cabin of the car then that needs to go to the dealer for programming.

Last edited by LEX ES300; 01-20-20 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 10:29 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
I replaced engine ecu on my 04 ls430 years ago and I didnt have to take it to the dealer. I did it myself. Initially the same thing happened to me - replaced with same part number tried to start and engine would turn over but not start due to security. I think the security led stayed on.

There are exact instructions on here somewhere or check online google. You just have to install the new engune ecu, then calibrate it by bridging a few connections (i think it was just 2 certain ports ) in the OBD port of the car using a wire or simple paperclip works best. Once the certain ports are bridged, turn iginition to on position with the key and leave it for a short while per the instructions (i think it was for about 5 or 10 mins or so from memory, just make sure you have a charged battery in good condition) after a short time It will then recognise the new ecu via the canbus and should start. Worked for me with no issues. NOTE I am talking about the engine ecu under the hood. If you are replacing the anti theft ecu which I think is inside the cabin of the car then that needs to go to the dealer for programming.

I don't know if the security LED is working or not because that particular LED has been replaced with one running an AVS aftermarket alarm, for the reason because I have a non functional security module. Ok well that's good I don't have to haul its *** down to Toyota then. I'll have a quick look around here for a write up, but if anyone has one on hand that would be awesome
Old 01-22-20, 09:54 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEX ES300

Can't find the instructions you are referring to on here, and google isn't much help, some say bridge out pins 4 and 13 and others say 5 and 13, so not helpful, rather not bridge out the wrong pins and let the smoke out. Gonna fire up Techstream soon and have a look
Old 01-24-20, 12:38 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are the instructions that I found on here that I used that worked for me years ago. Note: I have a 2004 LS430 which is a different year to yours. I used a paper clip and not the part number they referred to because its just a piece of wire - nothing special, i just made sure it was firmly connected for the procedure.

Last edited by LEX ES300; 01-24-20 at 12:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (01-24-20)
Old 01-25-20, 01:24 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Ok well that's pretty similar to mine however on the 2000-2003 models, pin 4 on the OBD2 port is not populated. Couldn't actually see it when I did it in the dark the other night, but did it today and it all fired up good and proper. Also made a YouTube vidjayo on how to do it for a bit easier reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_S6...ature=youtu.be