LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

21 y/o looking to buy LS430 for first car

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 06:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I do all my own work to my cars and the LS430 is a cake walk compared to my RX to repair. Like you said there is how to facts another member named RKW posted pdf files for all the TQ specs for the cars and there is also a plethora of videos on YouTube. If you want a nice refined car that you can get from A-B in, be comfortable and not have to worry about it braking down get a LS430.
And an RX is multiple times better than a Ford Taurus or Malibu or god forbid the "suv" versions of those cars to work on.
Old 01-28-20, 09:41 PM
repairmatt
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

A little older than the OP and my LS was the second car I've owned (first was a ES), but I would recommend without hesitation a LS430 to someone looking for a nice reliable first car. Maintenance is not hard, the brakes are ridiculously easy to do, probably the simplest brake job you'll ever do. Oil and tranny fluid changes are straightforward, though if you get the 6 speed tranny (04-06) it's slightly more complicated due to the "sealed" design. Air filters are all easy to change as well. So far I've only had to do minor stuff other than timing belt/water pump/valve cover gaskets, most of it was because I wanted to get stuff up to date and on my schedule, and also because I'm REALLY **** about maintenance. Couple pulleys, spark plugs, PCV valve and hose, brakes front and rear, left front speed sensor harness (wire rot), mirror switch cleaning and some other minor things. All I did myself save the timing belt and the VC gaskets, and that's only because I don't have a good area to do that stuff in. Best advice if you want one is to do your research and don't grab at the first one you see. I researched and looked for 2 months before pulling the trigger on the one I have now and could not be happier with it. Go for it!

Last edited by repairmatt; 05-24-20 at 07:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marco430 (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesse
If it was me (and it was, many moons ago), I would (and did) buy a smaller more basic car like a civic. Cheap enough to start managing and learning a lot of diy stuff, cheap enough to not stress if I royally messed anything up, and cheap enough to not stress when someone dinged it in the parking lot.
I was paying for my own gas, insurance, etc. so a car like that was just cheaper to own, and 3 years later i sold it for what i bought it for since i bought it completely devalued down to utility value.
I'm not saying buy a *****box like I did, but if you're remotely a car guy, nows your chance to expand your abilities and skill set a little vs buying a more complicated vehicle that comes with a higher cost of ownership in terms of everything.
just my $0.02
^^^^ Makes total sense. We're in a different time and age, but there was a time where people wanted a decent car but didn't want to worry about serious repairs for at least a decade. To contrast, I was watching a S63 AMG YouTube, and the person who made it said how much to maintain, at 20,000 and had (expensive) in the title (click bait). I had to click. His service was like $800+ to do an oil change, wiper blades, and cabin filter. That's it. Dealer recommended front brakes at $2.700, and he needed a new screen at $6,900 (he didn't explain why not under warranty). In this different time and age that I speak of. a person would be ashamed to post those numbers. It's not about that you have the money, it's that you are so detached from reality yet feel the need to show others this is how you roll! I don't know about the screen but everything else could have been DIY at a reasonable amount.

I get I am the minority but I think it's important for new drivers to a) drive a stick b) change one's own oil c) change a tire From those basics, you move on to start fixing stuff and becoming self sufficient other than needing special tools and a lift. my .02
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnhav430:
kylefoster (02-11-21), Marco430 (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 05:43 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco430
Being honest with you, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and learning how to fix things on my car especially if it helps me save money. I checked the LS430 FAQ and all them tutorials on fixing things definitely got my interest in doing most of the work on my own car if possible.
If it helps, I've built my own desktop computer so working on a car would be my next challenge to be proficient at if at least a little.
Cool. Recommend using https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html for pricing information. (Recommend reading its pages of explanation on how it arrives at price).
Also, recommend watching videos of The Car Chasers and similar car shows and/or videos which show car buying negotiations. [Bought many used cars at or less than 1/2 of asking price, most others at 25% off or more, some at close to 25% less, and once bought one (and only once) at full asking price because the asking price was so absolutely fair and the car was so perfect so I just paid it.] Also, recommend watching some LS 430 repair videos so you have an idea what you are getting into. (You should be able to handle almost anything which may come up with tools, time, and patience.)
Do a through inspection of any used car (there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to inspect and negotiate price based on your findings);

You are in a good position to buy a used LS 430 at an attractive price as many come up for sale time after time. Not huge buying demand for 15 to 20 year old used sedans put you in a position to pick and choose. If you may just be patient and keep looking diligently you may score an immaculate lower mileage LS 430 for the money you say you may be willing to use. Issues may require a steep discount in price.
(A link to information of some LS 430 purchases by ClubLexus member starting in 2014 going to today: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rchase-15.html)
Marco430 (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 08:28 AM
Marco430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Cool. Recommend using https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html for pricing information. (Recommend reading its pages of explanation on how it arrives at price).
Also, recommend watching videos of The Car Chasers and similar car shows and/or videos which show car buying negotiations. [Bought many used cars at or less than 1/2 of asking price, most others at 25% off or more, some at close to 25% less, and once bought one (and only once) at full asking price because the asking price was so absolutely fair and the car was so perfect so I just paid it.] Also, recommend watching some LS 430 repair videos so you have an idea what you are getting into. (You should be able to handle almost anything which may come up with tools, time, and patience.)
Do a through inspection of any used car (there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to inspect and negotiate price based on your findings);
How to Inspect a Used Car for Purchase
What is a Good Deal when Buying a Used Car? (How to Buy a Used Car)
How to Check a Used Car Before Buying (Checking the Engine)
How to Buy a Used Car: Interior & Exterior Inspection
How to Test Drive and Buy a Used Car
You are in a good position to buy a used LS 430 at an attractive price as many come up for sale time after time. Not huge buying demand for 15 to 20 year old used sedans put you in a position to pick and choose. If you may just be patient and keep looking diligently you may score an immaculate lower mileage LS 430 for the money you say you may be willing to use. Issues may require a steep discount in price.
(A link to information of some LS 430 purchases by ClubLexus member starting in 2014 going to today: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rchase-15.html)
Thank you so much will be checking these videos out in between classes today!
Old 01-29-20, 08:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was thinking about it.....your budget is actually inline with what mine was (adjusted for inflation lol) when I was looking for my 3rd car, but about age 20. So we're pretty much on the same page.

I wanted a Volvo, had to be a Volvo, a top of the line Volvo, but again along the same lines, 11 years old!! (the car I bought was a disaster but a salvage yard put in a rebuilt engine/tranny that lasted me 8 years, for $900 which I guess is a couple thousand today). A 2006 LS430 is 14 years old going on 15. Even older than what I wanted when I was 20.

Now when I do a fair assessment, here in 2020, you should have better luck with a 2006 LS430, than I would with a then 11 y.o. Volvo. Technology has improved.

I was juggling the Civic v. LS in my head, and concluded, heck, when I was your age, I too wanted a flagship car, nothing wrong with that. So the question becomes getting one that is not money needed right off the bat, and also one that will provide reliable transportation and not a lot of repairs. The LS430 is a strong candidate--just have to find the right one. You don't want to go in knowing it needs something. Again I was trying to assess whether being 21, and spending 8k on a flagship car makes any sense. Unfortunately, it does! lol (maybe if I were your dad I would prefer you get a Civic haha more because I don't want you distracted from school)
Old 01-29-20, 07:30 PM
AronH
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're going in a good direction. You and me both have a real admiration for luxury brands. When I was a kid, I wanted an LS400 for a first car so badly. I ended up getting a Civic instead though, which I ended up trading in for a Prius (!).

If I were in your shoes, I would either get a later year LS400 (I owned one) or an LS430 in the Premium package. Why? Because those cars have the fewest gadgets to break of this bunch. I own a Custom Luxury with Mark Levinson that I just had to pay $475 to repair a 1.5 year old amp. Recently replaced the rear struts and an O2 sensor too in the past year. I would expect to spend $1-2K annual on repairs/wear items.

If you are open to the idea, I think a fantastic first car is a Prius. I had one for 3 years and it was by far the lowest cost to operate vehicle in every aspect. $20 would fill it up with gas, you could get a set of new walmart tires installed for $240 total, insurance was relatively inexpensive, it had a lot of cargo space, it handled well in snow, and it was very easy to drive. That car allowed me to really save up some money to feel comfortable purchasing an LS430.
​​​​

Marco430 (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 09:28 PM
Marco430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AronH
I think you're going in a good direction. You and me both have a real admiration for luxury brands. When I was a kid, I wanted an LS400 for a first car so badly. I ended up getting a Civic instead though, which I ended up trading in for a Prius (!).

If I were in your shoes, I would either get a later year LS400 (I owned one) or an LS430 in the Premium package. Why? Because those cars have the fewest gadgets to break of this bunch. I own a Custom Luxury with Mark Levinson that I just had to pay $475 to repair a 1.5 year old amp. Recently replaced the rear struts and an O2 sensor too in the past year. I would expect to spend $1-2K annual on repairs/wear items.

If you are open to the idea, I think a fantastic first car is a Prius. I had one for 3 years and it was by far the lowest cost to operate vehicle in every aspect. $20 would fill it up with gas, you could get a set of new walmart tires installed for $240 total, insurance was relatively inexpensive, it had a lot of cargo space, it handled well in snow, and it was very easy to drive. That car allowed me to really save up some money to feel comfortable purchasing an LS430.
​​​​
Now you know I can't go Prius lmaoooo my heart is set on LS430 but I'm not opposed to a LS400 they look good and still got some luxury to it too!
Old 01-30-20, 04:49 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If I got a LS430 when I bought my 2000 Lincoln LS v8 at 19 years old I wouldve known what a real luxury sedan was and probably would still be driving the ls430 today instead of blowing through other cars until I got to my LS430. This car is every thing the lincoln ls wanted to be and failed at and super reliable.
Marco430 (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 05:03 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco430
Now you know I can't go Prius lmaoooo my heart is set on LS430 but I'm not opposed to a LS400 they look good and still got some luxury to it too!
You may wish to be patient until the right deal comes along. If you are looking for cream puff, try to wait until you find one from the original owner. Cars like:
... Agree with your concerns. Expensive features are expensive to repair/replace if/when failure may occur. And, years have passed since everything was new on these cars. Reading about a fellow CL member unable to use HVAC system due to NAV failure makes one think whether the base model may be the best bet in a used LS 430. They apparently sell at a discount compared to other LS 430s with more options. Seller had some people passing for lack of extra features on this nice example:
43,000 miles, original owner private party was asking $8290 in Seattle, WA (Another, LS 430 2004, base model, original owner, with 27,000 miles recently sold for a reported $8500)

(The above car was babied since new. And the seller was only selling it because he was driving a new car. Car was flawless with no issue whatsoever.)
Or something like the one below; Year - 2003 Color - Silver Mileage - 78,460 Package (ML or UL) - ML Price - $4000 Date Purchased - 12/1/18
Condition - 8.5/10 Private Party ...

Or go with a low priced vehicle:
Posted by 100Cars Here's a glamor shot of my $1500 car. I waxed it yesterday and the rain drops hide the hail damage LOL. Pretty awesome looking car for $1500, no?

Or like: 2002 Black with beige interior 170k ML $1800 March 2019
Small piece of oxidation on front hood. Interior driver seat has a few peeling issues but no holes.
Was well taken care of, not every record but majority...about 80% Private Party ... Found on FB Marketplace

Just be patient as other posters have recommend, do thorough research before buying, and wait til the right deal for you comes along. If you miss one, there are always more coming on the market.... If you buy from a dealer, you will pay the dealer price mark-up ($2000+??) and also dealer fees. But, understand some private sellers advertise at dealer prices. The videos on negotiation and the Edmunds used car pricing guide may help you negotiate price lower. Do not be disappointed when you go to look at a car which is not as nice as described. Just walk away or offer a very reduced price citing what expense you would have to incur to put the car in the shape it was described to you as a rational for the low offer. (Re-watch the 5 videos and print out your checklists so you do not miss anything. Doing so may save you thou$and$.) You may have to look at several cars before finding something as nice as the seller may describe it priced reasonably by a reasonable seller who will negotiate price lower based on you analysis of what price the car should sell. Do not be dismayed by having to keep walking away from deals. Eventually you will find a good one. (Stick to the price, or lower, your research shows it should be, The seller wants to sell and does not like to let a buyer with cash to buy walk away no matter how indignant the may play-act to be when you offer a lower price. It is all part of selling cars

Watch a negotiating deal unfold n the Car Chasers show video:

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 01-30-20 at 05:07 AM.
Marco430 (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 05:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

The above is excellent advice, I considered moving from my base model (210k and I'm talking BASE) to a CL in my favorite color and with 70k when I was down in Florida but it just simply was not as in as good condition cosmetically and bothered the hell out of me that for double what I paid for mine I would be getting a car I would already need to spend the difference on getting interior panels replaced and the exterior dents and scratches removed and panels adjusted. Plus then there is the mechanical side that I'm certain the newer car would have been worse than mine was as that point.

The CL features, laminated glass in particular are nice and all but there is no real substantial improvement in actual performance vs a pre-refresh base and there are more parts that are harder to keep alive like brake lights being LED units vs the pre 2004 cars just having blubs one can replace for less than $10 for every single one. 6 speed vs 5? Literally no difference expect marginally lower top gear and the 2-3 shift occurs at the same interval vs all the others. Adaptive headlights? Well they were broken on the CL and my base I have adjusted them to my liking. Interior bits are nice but at the end of the day if you really want to it's very easy to add those to even a 55 Chevy while having the body and interior be perfect is quite a bit more difficult.

Many of the other 430s I've seen in person are really not worth it, took me 4 months of sifting through local cars one at a time as they showed up on market till I found mine. My main goal was interior perfection followed by exterior perfection, it could have had a blown engine for all I cared but the cosmetics for me would be the most expensive thing to fix.
Marco430 (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 06:15 AM
Marco430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Striker223
The above is excellent advice, I considered moving from my base model (210k and I'm talking BASE) to a CL in my favorite color and with 70k when I was down in Florida but it just simply was not as in as good condition cosmetically and bothered the hell out of me that for double what I paid for mine I would be getting a car I would already need to spend the difference on getting interior panels replaced and the exterior dents and scratches removed and panels adjusted. Plus then there is the mechanical side that I'm certain the newer car would have been worse than mine was as that point.

The CL features, laminated glass in particular are nice and all but there is no real substantial improvement in actual performance vs a pre-refresh base and there are more parts that are harder to keep alive like brake lights being LED units vs the pre 2004 cars just having blubs one can replace for less than $10 for every single one. 6 speed vs 5? Literally no difference expect marginally lower top gear and the 2-3 shift occurs at the same interval vs all the others. Adaptive headlights? Well they were broken on the CL and my base I have adjusted them to my liking. Interior bits are nice but at the end of the day if you really want to it's very easy to add those to even a 55 Chevy while having the body and interior be perfect is quite a bit more difficult.

Many of the other 430s I've seen in person are really not worth it, took me 4 months of sifting through local cars one at a time as they showed up on market till I found mine. My main goal was interior perfection followed by exterior perfection, it could have had a blown engine for all I cared but the cosmetics for me would be the most expensive thing to fix.
I understand and I don't mind waiting im not looking to make a purchase until the summer of 2020. That's why i'm starting my search quite early, If i start sifting through what's available now I can more than likely find a used LS430 that will be perfect for me so February, March, April, May will be months of researching and heavily looking at what's available within my budget range aswell.
I really think i'd be better off with a base model 430 so I will look for those over the high luxury models

Not gonna lie, the process of finding the car I want is pretty fun and i'm learning alot from all the helpful tips you all are giving me
Old 01-30-20, 07:43 AM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by AronH

​​​​
A well maintained LS, 400 or 430, shouldn't cost anywhere near this amount. I've had my 430 almost 3 years and, excluding tires, haven't spent $1000 yet.
Old 01-30-20, 07:53 AM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

You may wish to be patient until the right deal comes along. If you are looking for cream puff, try to wait until you find one from the original owner.
Cars like:
(The above car was babied since new. And the seller was only selling it because he was driving a new car. Car was flawless with no issue whatsoever.)
Or something like the one below; Year - 2003 Color - Silver Mileage - 78,460 Package (ML or UL) - ML Price - $4000 Date Purchased - 12/1/18
Condition - 8.5/10 Private Party ...

Or like:
2002 Black with beige interior 170k ML $1800 March 2019
Small piece of oxidation on front hood. Interior driver seat has a few peeling issues but no holes.
Was well taken care of, not every record but majority...about 80% Private Party ... Found on FB Marketplace

Just be patient as other posters have recommend, do thorough research before buying, and wait til the right deal for you comes along. If you miss one, there are always more coming on the market.... If you buy from a dealer, you will pay the dealer price mark-up ($2000+??) and also dealer fees. But, understand some private sellers advertise at dealer prices. The videos on negotiation and the Edmunds used car pricing guide may help you negotiate price lower. Do not be disappointed when you go to look at a car which is not as nice as described. Just walk away or offer a very reduced price citing what expense you would have to incur to put the car in the shape it was described to you as a rational for the low offer. (Re-watch the 5 videos and print out your checklists so you do not miss anything. Doing so may save you thou$and$.) You may have to look at several cars before finding something as nice as the seller may describe it priced reasonably by a reasonable seller who will negotiate price lower based on you analysis of what price the car should sell. Do not be dismayed by having to keep walking away from deals. Eventually you will find a good one. (Stick to the price, or lower, your research shows it should be, The seller wants to sell and does not like to let a buyer with cash to buy walk away no matter how indignant the may play-act to be when you offer a lower price. It is all part of selling cars
430SL have you seen ANY of the cars you're referencing in person? Driven them...?
Don't worry I already know the answer. Cars sold long ago are, for some creepy reason, stored on your hard drive and cluttering the forum. Point being used cars with nice photos and great descriptions often turn out to be TURDS in person.
The following 2 users liked this post by bradland:
kos (01-30-20), Peacebay (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 07:59 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

When I first decided on purchasing my LS430 (currently 148,000 miles) over 10 years ago, I only wanted a base model with Nav. I found one in my color choice, and have not been sorry. Other than the common repairs (O2 sensor, wheel bearings, timing cover gaskets, subwoofer) I've had no major repairs. Now that my car is almost 20 years old, I'm happy with my decision. I'm not one who likes taking my car in for repairs. Oil changes have been my primary service. FYI......Everything on my base car is working as it should including Nav and ML system.
Marco430 (01-30-20)

Quick Reply: 21 y/o looking to buy LS430 for first car