LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

21 y/o looking to buy LS430 for first car

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 09:24 AM
Marco430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21 y/o looking to buy LS430 for first car

Hey guys, I'm relatively new here, but joined cause I want to join the LS430 club I'm getting my full license by summer 2020 and I'm looking to buy a car around the summer aswell... I already have experience driving.

I am a Car enthusiast but I'm just looking for a nice reliable ride with a bit of luxury and nice body styling and I think the LS430 fits the bill for me. I'm a college student FYI so I'm not worried about having a sporty car at the moment.

I am looking at getting either a LS400 or an LS430 but, an LS430 would be my first choice granted I can find a good deal on one. When it comes to what model I want, I don't mind a ML or just Premium luxury model from the 01-04 model year.

my budget is gonna be $7k-$8k (I guess I should budget some of that out for future repairs for the car too huh?)

So what y'all think? And where should I start to look? (I live on the east coast btw)

I've already started watching video reviews and looked up common issues with the LS430 aswell

Update: Due to fortunate circumstances my budget has now increased to $10k-$11k

Last edited by Marco430; 07-22-20 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Budget Update
Old 01-28-20, 09:55 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco430
Hey guys, I'm relatively new here, but joined cause I want to join the LS430 club I'm getting my full license by summer 2020 and I'm looking to buy a car around the summer aswell... I already have experience driving.

I am a Car enthusiast but I'm just looking for a nice reliable ride with a bit of luxury and nice body styling and I think the LS430 fits the bill for me. I'm a college student FYI so I'm not worried about having a sporty car at the moment.

I am looking at getting either a LS400 or an LS430 but, an LS430 would be my first choice granted I can find a good deal on one. When it comes to what model I want, I don't mind a ML or just Premium luxury model from the 01-04 model year.

my budget is gonna be $7k-$8k (I guess I should budget some of that out for future repairs for the car too huh?)

So what y'all think? And where should I start to look? (I live on the east coast btw)

I've already started watching video reviews and looked up common issues with the LS430 aswell
A few questions. Do you have some savings for future repairs? Do you have or know of a reliable independent mechanics shop that is familiar with the LS430 and willl work on it for a reasonable price? Do you drive a lot? Gas mileage is not great. Without any additional info and if you were a family member, although the LS430 is a reliable car, I'd still suggest a Honda Accord, Civic, Camry or Corolla as A possible alternative. The LS is a nice fairly reliable car, but it is ancient and if you are on a budget, it is not as reasonable to maintain properly as the Japanese cars mentioned above. If you do go with an LS430, make sure you check it out THOROUGHLY by a trusted mechanic. If you have decided on the LS430 your trusted mechanic will be your best friend. Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the fiorum.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 01-28-20 at 10:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bocatrip:
davidcvigi (02-05-20), Fit1too (02-07-20), Marco430 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:41 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

If you aren't friends with a good mechanic (and have a good amount of cash ready for repairs) or have experience replacing timing belts I wouldn't buy a 430. While these engines are reliable they will need maintenance, gaskets, seals, fluids. Unless you can find a car that has had the timing belt water pump pulleys and tensioner replaced, even better cam, crank, oil dipstick, and level sender seals recently, I don't think you should buy it.

That being said I think you should find yourself a basic car that has a timing chain (less maintanence and oil leak potential) like a K series honda or acura.
The following users liked this post:
Marco430 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,197 Likes on 890 Posts

All cars mentioned above aside from the LS are likely to have transmission issues. I picked an LS over any of the above since it breaks less.......mpg is fine but then again I think anything over 15 combined is fantastic, 21.4 average is highest I've ever had.

At the price point you mentioned you can spend $5-6000 on the car and use the rest to reseal the valve covers and trans pan and replace the belt. It will totally outclass any of the other cars mentioned here in every way aside from mpg

Last edited by Striker223; 01-28-20 at 10:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
Marco430 (01-28-20), Peacebay (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:54 AM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Suggestions

I have a 2005 LS430 Ultra and love it, but the suspension gets expensive and makes it unlikely / expensive to change shocks if/when needed. If you can work on the car yourself, you can save a lot, but I cannot, and you must consider. I rarely need to go to Lexus dealer but when I have (recently I have) it is expensive... wheel bearing $700, 1 catalytic convert $1500 if I recall. I think this car tends as it ages to sell to (or be retained by ) people who are better at doing their own maintenance, but I am still a glutton for dealer punishment at times.

If I keep Ultra long enough it will be at least $4000 to replace (say) 2 of the air struts or a couple of thousand even to convert to non-air suspension. For any model, ensure timing belt was changed, check on maintenance history. Check it tilt/telescope work wheel or at least that they are in proper position you are OK with them being stuck in (2 separate functions, tilt and telescope). Check if hood and trunk struts work (don't slam on closing + hold the hood or trunk open). I highly recommend you avoid the Ultra Luxury given the air suspension, although you can budge tor coilovers, etc. I got mine since I love the radar cruise, but that also crapped out around 50k in a cruise-computer pattern failure common with the 2005-2006's (fortunately it was under CPO warranty at the time so I got a new one). So a Premium (no Nav) or Modern Luxury (no radar cruise or air suspension) is what I would recommend. Also, I have chrome wheels. they are beautiful but prone to internal pitting and air leaks around the bead, and they cannot easily be refinished. Practically, get alloy wheels that are not chrome (most LS430s are alloy not chrome, just be aware). They don't look as nice but will probably give you less trouble.

BTW, people complain about the Nav and it is old, but perfectly functional. Latest update CD came out around 2015 unfortunately... they no longer have map updates for this car.

I love my car still. rides well even on original struts at around 140k miles (though not as well as it used to). Yes, budget for repairs no matter what. I probably have averaged $800 / year over 10 years, although with a CPO extended warranty for first 6. 1 mirror, mirror switch, cruise computer (for Ultra), speaker died (not even the known subwoofer thing), wheel bearing, brakes and fluids (maintenance not repairs), and recently expensive Check Engine stuff. Car has never left me stranded except that it EATS batteries, and I have gotten to point of changing it at LEAST every two years. Overall gas mileage around 27 mpg pure highway but around 20 mpg in mixed driving or even worse. So budget for that with 91+ octane gas... if you drive thousands of 10000+ miles a year that is a definitely a factor if buying it.

Also make sure break pedal is smooth and free of clicks. They replaced my actuator (I think it was called that) under warranty soon after I got it because it clicked annoyingly as I would come to a stop, like a detente in the break randomly. I think that is a bigger and more expensive issue on the LS460.

Good luck. It is a great car, but not new!

Old 01-28-20, 10:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Oh I should mention the pre 6 speed cars are the more trouble free ones.
Old 01-28-20, 11:14 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

with a budget of 7-8 k, you should be able to get a nice one in the 5-6 range and still have money left over for maintenance.
Old 01-28-20, 11:22 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

A low mileage 1999-2011 Mercury Grand Marquis in pristine condition may be found for around $2000 from an original owner. Nice lines. Car is reliable. Car is easy to work on. Parts are comparatively cheap and readily available. Maybe use the extra money to take nice women out. You are already a member of Club Lexus. (You can always keep you eyes open for a nice LS 430 that you may be able to buy right.)

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 01-28-20 at 11:26 AM.
Marco430 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 11:27 AM
Marco430
Driver School Candidate

Spoiler

Savings for future repairs? not exactly but I can put money aside for it before and once I get the car.
Reliable Mechanics w/ reasonable prices? Well I don't know of any but I can definitely scout around for one in my area... shouldn't be too difficult I presume.
Drive alot? I'm more of a homebody so I wouldn't drive it too much outside of maybe going to work, and places like the grocery store etc.

My mom is willing to help me with paying for maintenance if it gets too pricey, though I will make sure to have money put aside for maintenance.

I just couldn't see myself in a Corolla or Camry, growing up I always thought those cars were ugly like truly. Now I could opt for honda, but i prefer their sister brand Acura.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh ya, the UL model is too scary for me in terms of repairs especially with that air suspension so a Premium or ML is definitely what i'm gunning for. I don't mind having the Nav or not but it would be a nice touch.
Chrome wheels was a minor preference for me but Its fine if it doesn't I'll just put some custom chrome wheels on them later on down the line. Probably tint the windows too alittle bit lol

I heard it goes through batteries since it pulls from the battery even when the car is turned off and idle. But I will have a PPI for any LS430s i'm interested in purchasing and asking for the full maintenance history
Old 01-28-20, 11:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club! I think your budget is fine--since these cars are reliable and imho the production was consistent, count on having the issues that people here are having, so yes, set aside some time or money for repairs.

I'd restrict my search to a 2006 LS430, and probably go down south to keep the rust at a minimum. I didn't but I strongly recommend any car is taken to a Japanese indie to do an inspection--doesn't have to be pre-purchase, could even be multipoint, but to someone who knows the car and can spot issues off the bat.

Remember this is not an easy car to sell, it's old and has an 8 cyl. Don't let a seller try to flip that to a positive, it makes it harder to sell. So if you see a car that's listed for $7k, don't be afraid to offer $5k. The worst they can say is no. Be sure to look at more than 1, don't ever feel like you've come across the deal of a lifetime, it never is the case. Take your time, like the song says, "and if you play your cards right, you won't never wait no more..."
Marco430 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 12:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
A low mileage 1999-2011 Mercury Grand Marquis in pristine condition may be found for around $2000 from an original owner. Nice lines. Car is reliable. Car is easy to work on. Parts are comparatively cheap and readily available. Maybe use the extra money to take nice women out. You are already a member of Club Lexus. (You can always keep you eyes open for a nice LS 430 that you may be able to buy right.)
Accurate. About the only ford I don't hate to work on and it doesn't break much, still just a ford though.

Also to put in in perspective the 430 is faster than a marauder while getting better mpg and being several orders of magnitude nicer and refined and breaking half as much if even.

The above on old V8 cars is accurate, it's insane how cheap they are vs a V6 suv that is utter garbage in comparison. I tried a 6 for a while and hated it, went back home to an 8 for the daily even if it's a tiny one.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-28-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-28-20, 12:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Accurate. About the only ford I don't hate to work on and it doesn't break much, still just a ford though.

Also to put in in perspective the 430 is faster than a marauder while getting better mpg and being several orders of magnitude nicer and refined and breaking half as much if even.

The above on old V8 cars is accurate, it's insane how cheap they are vs a V6 suv that is utter garbage in comparison. I tried a 6 for a while and hated it, went back home to an 8 for the daily even if it's a tiny one.
Doesn't the V8 come in both single and dual exhaust? Pretty sure my neighbor's 2001 Mercury is a single exhaust. They let the niece drive it and now it's trashed (that kills me wasn't everyone here taught to treat motor vehicle with respect even when a teen?). Only had 42,000 miles a few years ago.

My uncle said same thing cars easy to work on and actually quite reliable they had taxi duty for so many years
Old 01-28-20, 12:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Doesn't the V8 come in both single and dual exhaust? Pretty sure my neighbor's 2001 Mercury is a single exhaust. They let the niece drive it and now it's trashed (that kills me wasn't everyone here taught to treat motor vehicle with respect even when a teen?). Only had 42,000 miles a few years ago.

My uncle said same thing cars easy to work on and actually quite reliable they had taxi duty for so many years
Yeah, the marauder is always a dual. They are good cars really, I can't complain if I'm honest but they just feel cheap inside.
Old 01-28-20, 12:57 PM
Marco430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
oh man I'm trying to avoid going american my family has always preferred Japanese and some European cars over American... my choices of manufacture so far are Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti. my mom seems to think I need a 4 door car but im not opposed to a 2 dr SC300 or G35
Old 01-28-20, 01:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

oh man I'm trying to avoid going american my family has always preferred Japanese and some European cars over American... my choices of manufacture so far are Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti. my mom seems to think I need a 4 door car but im not opposed to a 2 dr SC300 or G35
You do NOT want any Nissan product. Quality is substandard and lord they rust
The following 3 users liked this post by Striker223:
AnselAdams (11-14-22), Bocatrip (01-28-20), Marco430 (01-28-20)

Quick Reply: 21 y/o looking to buy LS430 for first car