LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Real Market Value of the LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 01:27 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
They are good cars but o wouldn't exceed 7k since I would want to replace stuff anyway just because.

I still find it funny so many consider the MPG bad lol! It's the best I ever had by almost 60% at 21.5
When I rent Altimas or Camrys they are nailing 41'ish on the highway without even trying....pretty sure even new S560's get 30+. Honestly 14 mpg is funny until stations start messing around with the premium spread. One Costco is 20 cents which is fair. But I've seen 70 cents+.....

p.s googled the S560 it's EPA highway is 27. Dang those Germans don't know how to lie! But it does have 516 ft. lbs......(if it were an American car it would be rated 36 lol)
Old 02-04-20, 02:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When I rent Altimas or Camrys they are nailing 41'ish on the highway without even trying....pretty sure even new S560's get 30+. Honestly 14 mpg is funny until stations start messing around with the premium spread. One Costco is 20 cents which is fair. But I've seen 70 cents+.....

p.s googled the S560 it's EPA highway is 27. Dang those Germans don't know how to lie! But it does have 516 ft. lbs......(if it were an American car it would be rated 36 lol)
Yeah but what do they really get? Like the 3.5 eco boosts always getting way worse than EPA, the small cars don't impress me at all no matter how much mpg they may give. It's so cheap I don't really care paying $70 every two weeks, I shoot more than that in ammo thrice a week at least.
Old 02-04-20, 04:51 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by styloren
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums and new to Lexus in general; hoping to be a new part of the club from Atlanta, GA. I will apologize in advance if this has been discussed or is common knowledge for most users - I searched and didn't find a thread within the first 3 pages so here we are.

I am earnestly looking for an LS 430 to replace my current daily driver. It's a car I've admired for a long time and I can't get over the consistent remarks of it being "one of the most reliable cars ever built" as well as reading stories here of owners going back to an LS 430 after owning later generations of the LS 460, or even other flagship models from other brands. I have a hard budget of $10k (cash) and I am specifically looking for as low mileage '04 - '06 model years. As I am researching and combing through listings, I am noticing that asking prices are consistently $11k or more from dealers, and comparably higher than that from private party. There's one I see in Cordele, GA (private party) with 52k miles and they are asking $15,995! https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=531737294. Here's an '05 with 108k miles at $10,800 (dealer) and it it's shown to be about $2k over average value. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=541481063

So that brings me to my question: is the state of the LS 430 market such that asking prices are just higher than published prices seen from Edmunds and KBB? My initial reaction tells me yes, the car holds its value well and that's a good thing but at the same time, I don't want to get fleeced. I've not gone through the car buying process that much - the two cars I've bought so far were offered at or below market value so it was a very straight-forward process of "I'd like to buy this car and the price is fair. Thank you." If I'm coming to a dealer with cash in hand, should I realistically be asking for median market value of around $8k to $9k? Should I reset my expectations so that I'm prepared to pay a couple more thousand dollars to make sure I'm getting what I want out of it? Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.

-stylo
Asking prices are asking prices. Some weeks ago a car flipper started trying to sell a 30,000 mile 2004 LS 430 for $30,000 which he recently bought from an original owner whose asking price was $8500 for the 30,000 mile 2004 LS 430 when he sold it to the flipper. The car looked nice and the $8500 asking price was probably not out of line for such an example. The new asking price for the car which just sold at $8500 at most (expect price may have been negotiated lower) is now $30,000. And, the new owner may ask whatever price he chooses to ask. So far no sale. The cars you mention are still for sale too. So far, those seller's asking prices are above what any buyer is willing to pay.
Recommend you consider using https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html for pricing information. (You may wish to read on its pages of explanation how it arrives at prices.)
You may also wish to check the information about some LS 430 purchases by ClubLexus members starting from 2014 going to today at this link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rchase-15.html)
Some LS 430 sellers may think their cars are worth more than they really are. And, some buyers overpay due to hype they may have heard or read and not really knowing the true market values. If an outstanding low mileage perfect example, some knowledgeable buyers may willingly overpay to some degree.
Good luck to you in your search. There are many very nice LS 430s coming to market time after time. And, many sellers ask reasonable prices. Recommend you consider to keep looking until you find an outstanding example, as your budget should allow you to purchase one of the finest examples of a used lower mileage well maintained LS 430 which may be found in today's market.

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 02-04-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 10:05 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Funny thread no one willing to pay good money for a low mileage quality LS when it is a car you cant find like that anymore. These new were $60k and everyone wants to find one for $7k lmao maybe if you are that cheap you should stick to finding a Honda or a cheap compact car not a flag ship luxury car. These threads crack me up good luck finding those low mileage quality cars for blue book. Only a non informed person would sell at blue book. Take some pride in what you are looking at and be prepared to pay for it, if you find a good deal and someone is just selling at blue book pay them full blue book don't even bother offering.
The following users liked this post:
rmawyer (02-07-20)
Old 02-05-20, 10:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I would be willing to pay green money, never really thought of money as being good or bad. Mine's green, as is most others.

hahahahahaha if we won't spend more than 7k we should stick to Honda. What's with the dig at Honda, most of them cost way more than a LS430 (LS430 is a specific range from 2001-2006; Honda could be 1969-2020, so median value would be way higher on Honda in general)!

I have a 2006 and this is what Carfax says

As mentioned, a 2013 S63 AMG was $155-$165k new, and the ones I came across are $25-$40k, at 7.5 years old. I disregard the $155-$165 and prefer to assess if it's really worth $25, or $30, or $40. I have to say not worth $40k, closer to $30 might be ok. A $40k 2013 S63 is like a $10k 2006 LS430 if you ask me subjectively speaking. It's a hella don't!
Old 02-05-20, 11:02 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I would be willing to pay green money, never really thought of money as being good or bad. Mine's green, as is most others.

hahahahahaha if we won't spend more than 7k we should stick to Honda. What's with the dig at Honda, most of them cost way more than a LS430 (LS430 is a specific range from 2001-2006; Honda could be 1969-2020, so median value would be way higher on Honda in general)!

I have a 2006 and this is what Carfax says

As mentioned, a 2013 S63 AMG was $155-$165k new, and the ones I came across are $25-$40k, at 7.5 years old. I disregard the $155-$165 and prefer to assess if it's really worth $25, or $30, or $40. I have to say not worth $40k, closer to $30 might be ok. A $40k 2013 S63 is like a $10k 2006 LS430 if you ask me subjectively speaking. It's a hella don't!
No one is going to sell their LS430 for trade in value that's completely ridiculous so that fact you have brought up is completely irrelevant. Well honestly even KBB is irrelevant. When a certain vehicle or item anything for this matter is no longer produced that raises the value not to mention the cult following. If there was no cult following and it could be purchased new different story but you can't expect owners to sell their LS430 for "trad-in" value or even KBB value deemed its an excellent condition example. It will always bring over the numbers listed online. Example if you total your LS you will get more then KBB value because they take the average of the cars values comparable to your areas demographic and pay you based on that just as an example. All I am saying and this is not directed at you just in general to someone looking for an LS430 model type vehicle that don't expect to pay low prices for a flag ship luxury model Lexus. We are talking high end cars here not commuter cars or cars for your new teenage driver. Jut my opinion don't have to agree with it but I am sick of seeing all these ludicrous remarks about an LS value. Decide what type color combo and features combo, mileage, history you want then give yourself a budget. If you can't find one in the budget you have keep saving until you can afford the one you want and if not look for a more less equipped LS. It always come sup on forums like this I don't see this type of discussion on other platforms for my other cars like my Mercedes or my BMW.
Old 02-05-20, 11:32 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
How do you feel about lifetime transmission fluid? starting in 2004 you have that to deal with. Buy a nice 2006 with less than 100,000 miles is the only way to go. Then you can decide if you want to and when you want to service the transmission. The motor might last 500,000 miles. If you buy a higher mileage car the decision will have been made. Most do not recommend starting a service on transmissions over 150,000 miles and most dealers will try to talk you out of it. Might cause more problems, don't want responsibility if things go bad.
Now a 2003 is only 1 year older and has a 5 speed transmission with a regular maintenance schedule and you can check the fluid with the dip stick.
Originally Posted by styloren
So to make sure I know what you're saying: is the transmission non-serviceable starting in 2004? That gets me at a point I've honestly not encountered yet - I've never had any transmission issues in any of my previous cars so I've not had to think about it. Could you provide some links for further explanation?
There is a megathread in here just dedicated to Transmission Fluid, intervals, Drain / Fill instructions, etc. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-thread.html

They are serviceable. (I have an 04). There isn't a conventional dipstick, but there is a check plug port that can be utilized when fluid is at a certain operating temperature to check the level.
styloren (02-06-20)
Old 02-05-20, 12:13 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
No one is going to sell their LS430 for trade in value that's completely ridiculous so that fact you have brought up is completely irrelevant. Well honestly even KBB is irrelevant. When a certain vehicle or item anything for this matter is no longer produced that raises the value not to mention the cult following. If there was no cult following and it could be purchased new different story but you can't expect owners to sell their LS430 for "trad-in" value or even KBB value deemed its an excellent condition example. It will always bring over the numbers listed online. Example if you total your LS you will get more then KBB value because they take the average of the cars values comparable to your areas demographic and pay you based on that just as an example. All I am saying and this is not directed at you just in general to someone looking for an LS430 model type vehicle that don't expect to pay low prices for a flag ship luxury model Lexus. We are talking high end cars here not commuter cars or cars for your new teenage driver. Jut my opinion don't have to agree with it but I am sick of seeing all these ludicrous remarks about an LS value. Decide what type color combo and features combo, mileage, history you want then give yourself a budget. If you can't find one in the budget you have keep saving until you can afford the one you want and if not look for a more less equipped LS. It always come sup on forums like this I don't see this type of discussion on other platforms for my other cars like my Mercedes or my BMW.
It happens each and every day as many people, who do not wish to deal with buyers, trade in their LS 430s. Dealers then retail them, send them to auction, or sell them wholesale to a dealer. The LS 430 was mass-produced with over 140,000 sold, and 100s of used ones are for sale at all times. They are not in short supply. The LS 430 is still a great car. But, there are are less and less of us demanding them as time goes on. (Similar story with BMW and Mercedes Benz mass-produced vehicles, only more of a discount from original price because of high repair and maintenance expense occurring more often than with LS 430s.)

I like mine very much and am happy that there are other people who are enthusiastic about the LS 430 and are helping to keep it relevant. But, I know someone personally who recently bought an immaculate low mileage LS 430s at a very reasonable, well under 5 figure price. And, there are many owners on these threads who document their purchases of of very nice LS 430s, with miles, for 2 or 3 grand. You may look yourself: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rchase-15.html. While I may not wish to sell my immaculate 2006 LS 430 with less than 100,000 miles for $7000 (maybe $5500 tops from a dealer, if lucky, or perhaps if dealer had a ready buyer in mind), because it is worth more to me to keep the car and drive it than have the money, it does not make it worth any more than those amounts. And, if I no longer had a use for it, or had to sell it, that is about all I would expect to get. But, what an opportunity there may be for those who may wish to own an LS 430 with so many to chose from at such seemingly reasonable low prices!

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 02-05-20 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 12:27 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." --Publius Syrus, Maxim 847
Source: Lyman, Darius. The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus, a Roman Slave: From the Latin. L.E. Bernard & Company, Boston, 1856.

If a specific product isn't worth X dollars to you, but another purchaser will pay X+Y dollars for it, then that is the market value of that specific product. The true market value of a specific product is exactly what someone else will pay for it.

With these cars, there are many variables that can swing the estimated market value by thousands of dollars. You can use mean selling prices from various websites and colored books for a rough ballpark number, but since every car's situation is unique to the buyer AND seller, the amount of dollars you can successfully exchange for a specific car can be thousands of dollars away from the arithmetic mean for that car's generation.

Perhaps it may help you understand the market if you switch your perspective from buy-side to sell-side. If I were a seller, well, I like my 2002 UL enough that in order for me to exchange it for cash, that cash value must be MUCH higher than the arithmetic mean of the same generation of car (2001-2003) sold in North America with the same options, near perfect paintwork, low mileage, with all features functioning just like new. I know for a fact that my car is well taken care of, as I did all the work myself and have meticulous maintenance records, and is therefore well above my idea of "average". I am also incorporating a price premium that someone needs to pay to convince me to give up what I consider a rare and ultra-high-quality vehicle, and a car that I personally enjoy a whole lot. While I am open to selling the car, I require above average compensation to do so. I suspect many sellers of these cars feel the same way or are projecting that sentiment, whether it truly applies to them or not. In fact, some sellers may raise their asking price just by reading this paragraph.

Maybe another person has the exact same car, options, mileage, but considers it not-rare and poor quality or needs to get rid of it quickly, and is willing to exchange the car for an amount of cash below the average selling price. Then someone will buy it, and then you can see that the laws of supply and demand and the concept of market equilibrium just demonstrated themselves.

My recommendation: 1) know what generation you want (2001-2003 or 2004-2006), 2) what package/options you want (base, CL, UL), and 3) what mileage range is acceptable to you (under 80k, under 100k, etc). Once you have defined your criteria, then collect the selling prices over the past 12-24 months for that combination of 1+2+3. This gives you a set of numbers with lower variance and minimal standard deviations from the average selling price than if you just looked at all LS430s. Now you know what the market rate is for a 1+2+3. Then it's up to you to lowball sellers if you think they are too high, pay extra to secure a good deal if someone's price is too low, or quickly accept whatever price someone asks if you think the supply of 1+2+3 is low and demand is high.
styloren (02-06-20)
Old 02-05-20, 12:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." --Publius Syrus, Maxim 847
Source: Lyman, Darius. The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus, a Roman Slave: From the Latin. L.E. Bernard & Company, Boston, 1856.

If a specific product isn't worth X dollars to you, but another purchaser will pay X+Y dollars for it, then that is the market value of that specific product. The true market value of a specific product is exactly what someone else will pay for it.

With these cars, there are many variables that can swing the estimated market value by thousands of dollars. You can use mean selling prices from various websites and colored books for a rough ballpark number, but since every car's situation is unique to the buyer AND seller, the amount of dollars you can successfully exchange for a specific car can be thousands of dollars away from the arithmetic mean for that car's generation.

Perhaps it may help you understand the market if you switch your perspective from buy-side to sell-side. If I were a seller, well, I like my 2002 UL enough that in order for me to exchange it for cash, that cash value must be MUCH higher than the arithmetic mean of the same generation of car (2001-2003) sold in North America with the same options, near perfect paintwork, low mileage, with all features functioning just like new. I know for a fact that my car is well taken care of, as I did all the work myself and have meticulous maintenance records, and is therefore well above my idea of "average". I am also incorporating a price premium that someone needs to pay to convince me to give up what I consider a rare and ultra-high-quality vehicle, and a car that I personally enjoy a whole lot. While I am open to selling the car, I require above average compensation to do so. I suspect many sellers of these cars feel the same way or are projecting that sentiment, whether it truly applies to them or not. In fact, some sellers may raise their asking price just by reading this paragraph.

Maybe another person has the exact same car, options, mileage, but considers it not-rare and poor quality or needs to get rid of it quickly, and is willing to exchange the car for an amount of cash below the average selling price. Then someone will buy it, and then you can see that the laws of supply and demand and the concept of market equilibrium just demonstrated themselves.

My recommendation: 1) know what generation you want (2001-2003 or 2004-2006), 2) what package/options you want (base, CL, UL), and 3) what mileage range is acceptable to you (under 80k, under 100k, etc). Once you have defined your criteria, then collect the selling prices over the past 12-24 months for that combination of 1+2+3. This gives you a set of numbers with lower variance and minimal standard deviations from the average selling price than if you just looked at all LS430s. Now you know what the market rate is for a 1+2+3. Then it's up to you to lowball sellers if you think they are too high, pay extra to secure a good deal if someone's price is too low, or quickly accept whatever price someone asks if you think the supply of 1+2+3 is low and demand is high.
Great advice here and the post above it.

When I went looking for a 430 I wanted a 01-03 due to more easily serviceable parts and replaceable blubs instead of LEDs, I didn't want self leveling headlights or air suspension, and I didn't want a nav screen since I never use them and they date the hell out of any car.

From there i had zero zero mileage requirements, I instead had exterior and interior condition requirements that it be 98% or thereabouts. I would have gladly bought a cosmetically perfect car with a blown engine or trans since any mechanical error is extremely easy and cheap for me to address. The reason air suspension and the other features are ones I wanted to avoid is because aside from the screen that I just don't like, is the parts to repair those other options are really pricey and nothing I can do will change that coupled with those systems always failing.

Only thing I wanted that I don't have is heated seats. I'm working on that though, also seeing how possible it would be to add in soft close. Laminated glass will be added soon as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
Margate330 (02-05-20), styloren (02-06-20)
Old 02-05-20, 01:02 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Again, my objective in purchasing anything, is for you the seller to profit the least amount possible, and if the minimum is too high of a profit margin, I am not buying from you. Maybe I can't afford the item. Ooooh, how embarrassing, I can't afford something!

Check it--if I am selling you something, I am not looking for you to spend the most possible (I'd be a car dealer if that were the case). All I want is the minimum I am willing to take, for whatever we are talking about. Because I am not in the selling business, rather, I am not selling for work purposes.

What I do find interesting that not here specifically, but as Americans, it's somehow satisfying to say I "can" pay XXX, some large impressive amount. A couple years ago some people did pay in excess of $17k for LS430s used--can you imagine, in 2016? Overpaying only adds to the hurt if the car is totaled or has to be rid of. It's like getting a dog at a pet store, or a diamond at the mall. People do those transactions knowing fully they got completely ripped off lol (pay more for less in those two cases) I think it's to avoid the discomfort of having to shop around and actually know what something is worth.

If you have the money I guess yes, it's impressive. But remember what Ben Franklin said. No, not the penny and two pence thing.

"We are all born ignorant. But we must work really hard to remain stupid."
Old 02-05-20, 01:27 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

It sure is a different world outside the west coast. LS430's for sale for trade in values and low mileage cars selling in the single digits kind of feels like a dream lmao
Old 02-06-20, 01:38 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
It sure is a different world outside the west coast. LS430's for sale for trade in values and low mileage cars selling in the single digits kind of feels like a dream lmao
Believe me, it’s not you. A lot of users on this forum get some strange satisfaction in saying these cars are worth less than they are (like John always citing his cars trade in value for some reason). I have a 2001 I paid $1700 for, and I have a 2005 I paid $10k for two years ago. Guess which one I regret buying? The $1700 one!

It must be a demographic thing. Because the BMW I have and the VW I used to have, those forum members do not seem as obsessed over current values as these ones are.

I’ve seen your car on the Facebook forum — that place is a lot more helpful and has a lot more collective useful knowledge than this forum for some reason. Believe me, some of the guys on this forum are awesome and have a lot of Lexus wisdom — but just look at the two most popular threads on this forum. Both go into irrelevant pricing discussions with the same few people weighing in.
styloren (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 01:49 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

kbb, that's what it's for. A mint condition ls430 with that many miles...at most 9k...maybe 10 but...no. 15k is absurd
styloren (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 02:20 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts
Default kbb

Ok, except KBB still contradicts what the 'pricing experts' on here purport to be the fair market value. Here is what KBB says is fair for a 2006 with 60k miles FOR THE BASE MODEL (read: not a UL or with any desirable color combinations):

Bottom line is that $7k or whatever other arbitrary price one can come up with is not the going rate for a mint low mile example.

Quick Reply: Real Market Value of the LS 430