Real Market Value of the LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 07:43 AM
styloren
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Real Market Value of the LS 430

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums and new to Lexus in general; hoping to be a new part of the club from Atlanta, GA. I will apologize in advance if this has been discussed or is common knowledge for most users - I searched and didn't find a thread within the first 3 pages so here we are.

I am earnestly looking for an LS 430 to replace my current daily driver. It's a car I've admired for a long time and I can't get over the consistent remarks of it being "one of the most reliable cars ever built" as well as reading stories here of owners going back to an LS 430 after owning later generations of the LS 460, or even other flagship models from other brands. I have a hard budget of $10k (cash) and I am specifically looking for as low mileage '04 - '06 model years. As I am researching and combing through listings, I am noticing that asking prices are consistently $11k or more from dealers, and comparably higher than that from private party. There's one I see in Cordele, GA (private party) with 52k miles and they are asking $15,995! https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=531737294. Here's an '05 with 108k miles at $10,800 (dealer) and it it's shown to be about $2k over average value. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=541481063

So that brings me to my question: is the state of the LS 430 market such that asking prices are just higher than published prices seen from Edmunds and KBB? My initial reaction tells me yes, the car holds its value well and that's a good thing but at the same time, I don't want to get fleeced. I've not gone through the car buying process that much - the two cars I've bought so far were offered at or below market value so it was a very straight-forward process of "I'd like to buy this car and the price is fair. Thank you." If I'm coming to a dealer with cash in hand, should I realistically be asking for median market value of around $8k to $9k? Should I reset my expectations so that I'm prepared to pay a couple more thousand dollars to make sure I'm getting what I want out of it? Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.

-stylo
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-06-20)
Old 02-04-20, 08:06 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

It's an old car now that really is only desirable to a select group of enthusiasts... to everyone else, it's just another car with horribly outdated nav, tech, etc. When you find a car that is close to your budget, you need to make sure you can find every single flaw on the vehicle and use that to negotiate your offer aggressively. Things like tires, brakes, maintenance, timing belt... those can all help you drive the price down if they are needed.

These cars are amazing but the newest one is 14 years old... always remember that.
Old 02-04-20, 08:16 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

you should be able to get a really nice car for 10K. but the really low milage ones command huge premiums. Why are you so concerned about milage? I bought one with 130k and a couple bruises on the body for 6 grand and I still think I got a fair deal
Old 02-04-20, 08:24 AM
styloren
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Romanova
It's an old car now that really is only desirable to a select group of enthusiasts... to everyone else, it's just another car with horribly outdated nav, tech, etc. When you find a car that is close to your budget, you need to make sure you can find every single flaw on the vehicle and use that to negotiate your offer aggressively. Things like tires, brakes, maintenance, timing belt... those can all help you drive the price down if they are needed.

These cars are amazing but the newest one is 14 years old... always remember that.
Oh, for sure. I've lived with a 20+ year old Volvo and 15+ year old Buick before. Both of those got to be handfuls but I learned my way around a car, that's for sure. The age doesn't scare me in terms of being able to fix things as they arise - I've rebuilt an engine and gutted and replaced an entire suspension system at this point. My hope is that the build quality translates to me not having to fuss with it, just keep it maintained and running smooth.

Originally Posted by weldthedif
you should be able to get a really nice car for 10K. but the really low milage ones command huge premiums. Why are you so concerned about milage? I bought one with 130k and a couple bruises on the body for 6 grand and I still think I got a fair deal
Just for the standard mode of thought of having less miles (hopefully) means less wear and abuse. That (hopefully) translates to a better experience for me owning a 14 - 16 year old car.
Old 02-04-20, 08:25 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

I went through the same process before buying mine 2 years ago. Having wanted one for almost 10 years, I was determined to get a good one with relatively low miles and took some comfort in knowing that you get what you paid for.

While there are rare exceptions, for 10 grand or less you are just about guaranteed to get an '04 to '06 that has 100,000 or more miles. If you want a low mileage example, you will have to pay for it.
The following users liked this post:
styloren (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 08:36 AM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by styloren
Oh, for sure. I've lived with a 20+ year old Volvo and 15+ year old Buick before. Both of those got to be handfuls but I learned my way around a car, that's for sure. The age doesn't scare me in terms of being able to fix things as they arise - I've rebuilt an engine and gutted and replaced an entire suspension system at this point. My hope is that the build quality translates to me not having to fuss with it, just keep it maintained and running smooth.

Just for the standard mode of thought of having less miles (hopefully) means less wear and abuse. That (hopefully) translates to a better experience for me owning a 14 - 16 year old car.
Conventional wisdom, lower mileage = better, doesn't necessarily apply to the Lexus LS. Of the 3 LS4_0's I've owned all were purchased with at least 90K miles. The sweet spot, IMO, when purchasing is somewhere between 90k and 110k miles. This is where the price drops but quality does not and often the TB has just been replaced and if not you do it right away and it's done. I have a feeling this thread will become rather lengthy with various opinions so buckle up, you're in for a long ride...
The following 3 users liked this post by bradland:
kos (02-05-20), Peacebay (02-04-20), styloren (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 08:51 AM
styloren
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bradland
Conventional wisdom, lower mileage = better, doesn't necessarily apply to the Lexus LS. Of the 3 LS4_0's I've owned all were purchased with at least 90K miles. The sweet spot, IMO, when purchasing is somewhere between 90k and 110k miles. This is where the price drops but quality does not and often the TB has just been replaced and if not you do it right away and it's done. I have a feeling this thread will become rather lengthy with various opinions so buckle up, you're in for a long ride...
If this thread keeps up with the way it's going in terms of good, thoughtful responses, I'm here for it man. I'm a pragmatist by nature but I feel like the idea of buying this kind of car is something more emotional for me; so if I can have good discourse and make the informed decision, I'm all the more grateful for it. Even if this conversation goes beyond just the market value and in to a more nuanced conversation that everyone enjoys, I'll happily keep responding.
Old 02-04-20, 08:55 AM
styloren
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TriC
I went through the same process before buying mine 2 years ago. Having wanted one for almost 10 years, I was determined to get a good one with relatively low miles and took some comfort in knowing that you get what you paid for.

While there are rare exceptions, for 10 grand or less you are just about guaranteed to get an '04 to '06 that has 100,000 or more miles. If you want a low mileage example, you will have to pay for it.
What did you end up with in terms of mileage and price, if I might ask? Also what do we consider low mileage? The consensus I'm seeing is to not worry about anything between 100k to 130k. My favorite examples that I'm seeing in my area are 80k - 110k, all right around that $10k- $11k mark.
Old 02-04-20, 10:14 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by styloren
What did you end up with in terms of mileage and price, if I might ask? Also what do we consider low mileage? The consensus I'm seeing is to not worry about anything between 100k to 130k. My favorite examples that I'm seeing in my area are 80k - 110k, all right around that $10k- $11k mark.
Mine was acquired from the original owner at 62,278 miles for $12,250 in January 2018. It had came with all of its original paperwork and complete maintenance records. Except for a TB change (since done), it had received religious service at a Lexus dealer. It had always been garaged and sported its original paint. It now has slightly less than 65,000 miles

What you are seeing price-wise is accurately reflective of the LS 430 market. This is powerful knowledge that you can now readily put to use when you see one that you like. Naturally, condition can vary significantly between similarly priced units.

Old 02-04-20, 10:25 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 178 Posts

I bought my '05 LS430 ML package with 109,000 miles, with a fantastic dealer service history since new, garage kept, and everything working as designed for $ 10,000 two years ago, here in western WA. I'm now at 123,000 miles and do all my own routine maintenance. If you find a well maintained vehicle (on-time service, no deferred repairs or maintenance) I would not be at all concerned with a car with up to 150,000 or even 200,000 miles and you can readily find cars with these miles and in apparent good condition for well under 10K. The cream puff 50,000 - 100,000 mile cars do command a premium but not worth it to me.

My only complaints about the car are the relatively low fuel economy as compared to other vehicles I own and the driver's seat cushion is toast and uncomfortable. I am getting by for now but will replace it eventually.

I also have an independent mechanic locally that I trust. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away.

Old 02-04-20, 10:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It's interesting to try to get a feel for what something especially a car should cost. For example, I'm trying to do the same thing with S63 AMG cars, and it's not enough to say well the car depreciated 126k, how can it not be a good deal? Me, I don't know. Would you rather have a 7 year old S63 AMG that stickered for 160k and has over 600 ft.lbs., or a 2 y.o. CR-V (the former is faster, more luxurious, and feels great, the latter? not sure)? Which in 2016 was the same question with the LS430. Would you rather have a 2006 LS430 with 80k miles, or a 2 y.o. Camry?

To kinda inject reality, there's the 2008 S550 YouTube where Carmax offered 7k, and video showed they got duped which isn't often. So the same happens with LS430s.

I have got to emphasize we can dwell on these cars being $65,300 new, and insist they are good cars at 15k, 10k, but if it were me, I would not even consider 1 penny over 7k. Be realistic, like the 7k S550 model year 2008.

We're all human--when we go to zillow.com and the website says our house is worth a gazillion dollars, we feel great! But we also know it's not true and the numbers are inflated. We should all get in the habit of dealing with harsh numbers. In the car world, that's Carfax trade-in. Many here are gonna see that first digit is a 3. Don't like it? It's not something to like or dislike, it's something to acknowledge that's what the seller was dealing with, when flipping the car to you. 7 is enough (2006)! Push yourself to get a good deal, like you're training for a triathalon. Don't settle.
Old 02-04-20, 01:10 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

I like bacon and eggs for breakfast

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-02-21 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 01:18 PM
styloren
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
How do you feel about lifetime transmission fluid? starting in 2004 you have that to deal with. Buy a nice 2006 with less than 100,000 miles is the only way to go. Then you can decide if you want to and when you want to service the transmission. The motor might last 500,000 miles. If you buy a higher mileage car the decision will have been made. Most do not recommend starting a service on transmissions over 150,000 miles and most dealers will try to talk you out of it. Might cause more problems, don't want responsibility if things go bad.
Now a 2003 is only 1 year older and has a 5 speed transmission with a regular maintenance schedule and you can check the fluid with the dip stick.
So to make sure I know what you're saying: is the transmission non-serviceable starting in 2004? That gets me at a point I've honestly not encountered yet - I've never had any transmission issues in any of my previous cars so I've not had to think about it. Could you provide some links for further explanation?
Old 02-04-20, 01:22 PM
styloren
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TominPT
I bought my '05 LS430 ML package with 109,000 miles, with a fantastic dealer service history since new, garage kept, and everything working as designed for $ 10,000 two years ago, here in western WA. I'm now at 123,000 miles and do all my own routine maintenance. If you find a well maintained vehicle (on-time service, no deferred repairs or maintenance) I would not be at all concerned with a car with up to 150,000 or even 200,000 miles and you can readily find cars with these miles and in apparent good condition for well under 10K. The cream puff 50,000 - 100,000 mile cars do command a premium but not worth it to me.

My only complaints about the car are the relatively low fuel economy as compared to other vehicles I own and the driver's seat cushion is toast and uncomfortable. I am getting by for now but will replace it eventually.

I also have an independent mechanic locally that I trust. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away.
Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi styloren,
It's the same way in S florida since I been looking too.

Basically they are all at car lots or on craigslist from car flippers for top dollar.

I would pay a premium but the car better BE premium. lol
Meaning that it was properly serviced, maint history, not rusty, right color, options, clean carfax etc. cuz if not I agree with other posters and I get a
cheaper one and fix it up but maybe others have different approach.
Very similar food for thought here. The clean carfax is what I'm starting with in terms of verifying. I'm pretty much dismissing anything that has had an accident b/c I have quite a few options that at least show consistent dealer service and no accidents on their reports. So far in this thread I'm starting to see that I'm in the right ballpark, it's just a matter of finding the car that's been treated right for me.
Old 02-04-20, 01:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

They are good cars but o wouldn't exceed 7k since I would want to replace stuff anyway just because.

I still find it funny so many consider the MPG bad lol! It's the best I ever had by almost 60% at 21.5

Quick Reply: Real Market Value of the LS 430