LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trying to find a value on my 2005 LS430 UL with 28k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 08:56 AM
aussies206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find a value on my 2005 LS430 UL with 28k miles

This isn't a for sale post! I had posted this same question on a Facebook group and my post got deleted due to not following the guidelines. My husband inherited a 2005 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury, every option possible with less than 28,000 miles. It's a beautiful pearl white color with cashmere interior. Always garaged. In immaculate condition. We've owned it about a year, previously my husbands grandfather owned it prior. We've been debating selling it, due to the fact that we never drive it... silly I know, it very luxury! But my husband only takes it out on nice sunny days and realized it's just not feasible for us to keep and let it sit. I know kbb is around the 13k price range. I'm thinking around the 20-25k range, wanted everybody else's input, since you all know about the LS's more than we do! I'd like to post it on bring a trailer and just see what it goes for, but just confused on what it's really valued at.

Last edited by aussies206; 02-18-20 at 09:04 AM. Reason: my writing got deleted
Old 02-18-20, 09:20 AM
Zobomoho
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

I thought it was bogus too. I'm part of both forums and the moderator is very strict on that rule. You can try posting on the classifieds, but there are tons of lowballers on there.

Values are all over the place on this one. I know someone who bought a white 62k mile 2005 UL for $11,500 last October. Prior old owner, well taken care of, struts failing but otherwise clean. Same exact car and specs as yours, just higher mileage. And they bought from a dealer, so that's decently high pricing.

KBB's $13k is low for sure, but I honestly wouldn't expect to get more than $20k for it. As some members have stated, $17k is fair for both parties, and someone willing to reach may give you $18k. The ULs are rare for sure and you have a nice example, but the 430 isn't a collector's car, and therefore are subject to the same rules of depreciation as any other car.

As always, you can post for $25k and see if anyone bites! The more time you have, the more you can afford to let it sit.
Old 02-18-20, 09:56 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Ill give you 7500, cash money. LOL.

Id say 12-15, maybe 18 if you find the right buyer. Problem is 18k gets you alot of newer used cars. If I had 18k Id be looking for something different than a LS430. I dont finance cars though so Im not sure if a 15 year old car can be financed?
Old 02-18-20, 10:26 AM
05ls430nj
Driver School Candidate

I would pay 15 to 17K
Old 02-18-20, 10:27 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

YES TO BRING A TRAILER!! I've seen absolutely crazy prices for certain cars including low mileage LS400s.....I see LS400s going for the high teens and even in the $20,000 range getting sold. .I'm talking insane high prices. It's certainly worth a shot. There haven't been any LS430s on Bring A Trailer, but the site does get exposure. If I were you, that's where I'd go with that car. . Price wise, you certainly are in the mid to upper teens with that car, but a person who must have it will pay. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bocatrip:
2KHarrier (02-20-20), Peacebay (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 11:00 AM
aussies206
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zobomoho
Hello,

I thought it was bogus too. I'm part of both forums and the moderator is very strict on that rule. You can try posting on the classifieds, but there are tons of lowballers on there.

Values are all over the place on this one. I know someone who bought a white 62k mile 2005 UL for $11,500 last October. Prior old owner, well taken care of, struts failing but otherwise clean. Same exact car and specs as yours, just higher mileage. And they bought from a dealer, so that's decently high pricing.

KBB's $13k is low for sure, but I honestly wouldn't expect to get more than $20k for it. As some members have stated, $17k is fair for both parties, and someone willing to reach may give you $18k. The ULs are rare for sure and you have a nice example, but the 430 isn't a collector's car, and therefore are subject to the same rules of depreciation as any other car.

As always, you can post for $25k and see if anyone bites! The more time you have, the more you can afford to let it sit.
I was just trying to get an idea, but got several direct messages with offers. Got two for 20k and one for 22k. More than I ever figured the car was worth... I was mostly thinking mid teens. So it exceeded my expectations. It is a great car, very clean so I know who ever buys it won't be disappointed. Definitely not in a hurry to sell either. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-18-20, 11:03 AM
aussies206
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
YES TO BRING A TRAILER!! I've seen absolutely crazy prices for certain cars including low mileage LS400s.....I see LS400s going for the high teens and even in the $20,000 range getting sold. .I'm talking insane high prices. It's certainly worth a shot. There haven't been any LS430s on Bring A Trailer, but the site does get exposure. If I were you, that's where I'd go with that car. . Price wise, you certainly are in the mid to upper teens with that car, but a person who must have it will pay. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
I couldn't find any LS430s either, but seen lots of LS400s. I know nothing about the LS's so I don't know if the 400s are more sought after than the 430s? I'm definitely leaning this direction!
Old 02-18-20, 11:12 AM
Zobomoho
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well heck, if you have an offer for $22k, then post on BAT with a reserve of $25k. If nobody bites, take the $22k offer.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zobomoho:
aussies206 (02-19-20), LS430inDE. (03-01-20), Peacebay (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 01:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Well heck, if you have an offer for $22k, then post on BAT with a reserve of $25k. If nobody bites, take the $22k offer.
Yes....Agreed. If you have been offered 22 large, I'd take it for certain. You are now in the territory of selling it for a strong price to someone who is easy or trying to get more from someone who might be way more particular. Once in that price range, I'd go with the easiest sale.....Who want's grief? That's a great price. $22,000. Take it and run.....If that person is still interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bocatrip:
430SLOwner (02-19-20), LS430inDE. (03-01-20)
Old 02-18-20, 01:07 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

The expression is "Strike when the iron is hot"....
The following 3 users liked this post by Bocatrip:
430SLOwner (02-19-20), aypues (02-19-20), LS430inDE. (03-01-20)
Old 02-18-20, 04:29 PM
Wheelyneat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BaT is particular and they pick and choose who gets on their site. Having said that I think your 430 deserves a shot. Way better car than the LS400 and as others have said the 400s go for crazy money on BaT.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wheelyneat:
aussies206 (02-19-20), Bocatrip (02-19-20)
Old 02-18-20, 09:11 PM
MonSmash
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
The expression is "Strike when the iron is hot"....
Exactly!!

If you know you want to sell. Take the offer. You may find they don't have the money/financing to follow through with the offer. Or given more time, they'll reconsider and you'll end up selling it elsewhere for less.

Personally I thought a price of $11-14 would be reasonable so $22 is double that.
The following 2 users liked this post by MonSmash:
aussies206 (02-19-20), Bocatrip (02-19-20)
Old 02-18-20, 09:18 PM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd definitely see this as Bring-A-Trailer worthy, but I'd caution you that they're being very, very selective due to the sheer amount of submissions they have lately. I was interested in listing my 2008 Jaguar XJR Portfolio last month. It's black on black with 49k miles. Fully serviced, every option, supercharged V8 and a very rare bird - they rejected it without thinking twice. Not saying yours will get rejected, but I'd prepare for it as to not be heartbroken at the last minute...
The following users liked this post:
aussies206 (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 07:51 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vantage007
I'd definitely see this as Bring-A-Trailer worthy, but I'd caution you that they're being very, very selective due to the sheer amount of submissions they have lately. I was interested in listing my 2008 Jaguar XJR Portfolio last month. It's black on black with 49k miles. Fully serviced, every option, supercharged V8 and a very rare bird - they rejected it without thinking twice. Not saying yours will get rejected, but I'd prepare for it as to not be heartbroken at the last minute...
You have nothing to lose with BAT....It's a great site that does get unbelievable numbers for cars! I owned an imported car dealership for over 25 years up North and am familiar with quite a few "odd ball" imported cars. As I looked over the site yesterday, l'm absolutely amazed at the prices these cars are sold for. As some of you know, one of the most notoriously unreliable cars ever made was the Jaguar XJS.....I just saw a limited production XJS sell in the $50,000 price range! They have common cars as well, but most have low miles. Yours is a perfect candidate. I'm blown away with this site. Definitely give it a try! PS.....As a perk, for an additional charge...they take exceptional professional pictures for you and do all the work! It's worth it.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 02-19-20 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 09:25 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by aussies206
I was just trying to get an idea, but got several direct messages with offers. Got two for 20k and one for 22k. More than I ever figured the car was worth... I was mostly thinking mid teens. So it exceeded my expectations. It is a great car, very clean so I know who ever buys it won't be disappointed. Definitely not in a hurry to sell either. Thanks for the info!
How refreshing!
Someone coming to CL with solely an interest in asking for help in valuing a low mileage LS 430, but not trying to generate buying interest for it, as every other person who has used this same method before has seemingly done.
Others before you have described similar scenarios, but they were actually hawking for a buyer as CL has many LS 430 enthusiast members who may like such merchandise very much. Those others, before you, usually posted under the guise that the car was always in the family. Even in instances where they recently purchased it from a stranger e.g. a few months ago someone bought a 27,000 mile Lexus LS 430 from a seller who had advertised it for sale at $8500. That person then posted on the CL forum that he had a, always family owned, 27,000 LS 430 and wanted some idea of its value and asked for help from CL LS 430 enthusiasts. (One may think he may have had some idea of its value, since he just paid $8500 or less from a ready seller for it.) Nevertheless that person went through various gyrations, posting how he did not really wish to part with that car and that people had offered him $25,000 for it. A few posts later wrote he would reluctantly let it go, but only to the proper caring home, far the amount of $30,000. He then posted someone had paid it. However, the very same car was offered on the internet, by the very same owner who previously falsely posted on a CL thread that it was sold. Later, that same LS 430 was offered by the same poster for several weeks on the internet with no sale taking place.
The person who made up a story and posted it here, merely as an attempt generate buying interest, perhaps could have listed it in the marketplace. Surely, you may find such behavior hard to believe.
However, he chose to spin some fairy tale here.
But, nice to know some people are really just being completely honest when they post they are simply trying to come up with a value for an unusual low mileage LS 430 and they are not really posting on an enthusiast site to generate buying interest for it. And, very refreshing that the person would share with CL forum members that many private messages were received offering $20,000 to $22,000 for the car, when that person thought the price at which it may fetch if sold would be several thousands of dollars less. How curious though, that someone gets an offer, several thousand dollars higher than ever expected, but no action is taken on any of those generous offers.
Now, if it was one of those insincere past posters who actually made up stories of offers, actually never received, in an attempt to lure an LS 430 enthusiast here to offer an even higher price then the claimed, but actually non-existent offers, that would be very dishonest.
But, would never accuse such a fine upstanding person such as yourself to stoop to such a low less-than-honest scheme.
However, should any one of those many offers actually be bona fide, you may wish to quickly accept it rather then be in a similar position as the dishonest poster who could not sell his LS 430. Of course, there is a difference between you two, as the other person was being a dishonest scoundrel when posting his fairy tale here attempting to hawk potential buyers of his car and you being completely honest here, simply to get pricing information from LS 430 enthusiasts. (Should it be mentioned that anyone may be able to get a fairly accurate pricing information for any car, free, from any dealer. But, dealers usually are not enthusiasts who may possibly be willing to pay a huge premium for the right car, especially if that enthusiast is lead to possibly believe many other offers have been made at huge premiums and the enthusiast may become the lucky new owner, only if willing to pay more than those other offers. Even if no such offers ever existed.)
The following users liked this post:
LS430inDE. (03-01-20)

Quick Reply: Trying to find a value on my 2005 LS430 UL with 28k miles