LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help! Oil leaking passenger side ..cam seals??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
It's hard to be certain as only you can touch the inside of the cover but it looks like rubber dust from the belt not oil residue...?
The cord material encased inside the rubber is EXTREMELY strong so microscopic bits of rubber flying off is fairly normal and not a huge concern. But, since the cover is already off this is an excellent time to evaluate the timing belt. If is the original from the factory you might consider changing it.
My question would be along similar lines. What does a cam seal leak actually look like? And yours, is not, based on your removal of the cover, right?

Drawing a parallel to my wife's water pump shaft seal leak. Being a GM the orange color made it obvious that coolant was leaking. But, suprising, or not surprising to people who do this for a living, orange was everywhere, drops clinging in places common sense would say that's not from the water pump, that has to be something else leaking. But no, it was the water pump. I know in that case one has to use probability plus common sense, replace the pump which is "known," and check for leaks after that (meaning almost certain this year/make/model if you replace the water pump, you have no more leaking, based on the hundreds of others online who had the same issue). Might be the same with our cars. Seems like valve cover gaskets are step one? although OP did that...

edit p.s.--say the pass side valve cover is in fact leaking, can any oil get to that inside cover? To me, it does look like oil. And the black part if you will looks wet, or grime, not dry dust....jmo

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-26-20 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-26-20, 06:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

When you did the cover did you do the moons as well? There are half moon caps in the rear and also RTV sealing points in the front that if not done can leak even after doing the main cover seal
Old 02-26-20, 03:33 PM
dtrulez
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing belt water pump was done by lexus at 60k miles (100k kms) 5 years back so it should still have a bit to go before the next change. It does look a bit like old oil on the black cover part under the timing cover, I hope its from a previous leak that went down there? I will try to clean it when i have a chance to take it apart again and see if it will leak from there again. This car is very frustrating right now with this on going leak and me cleaning it daily, hoping it will magically stop. The weather is getting cold and snow is here so very hard for me to find time to take it apart and see..

When i did the valve covers i saw the half moon and left them alone it looked ok still. I didn't put any RTV or sealants since i read these valve cover gaskets for this gen did not need it. I also don't see or feel a leak behind where the half moons are and all around the valve cover.
hope there is and easy fix or can get this resolved myself. before i have to bring it to The dealer and get charged an substantial amount!!!

Last edited by dtrulez; 03-03-20 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 05:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

That's your issue. If you didn't use any RTV you are leaking at the front of the cover where the long flats meet the raised section, the manual specs RTV at the moons and at the transition from the flat to curved section.
Old 03-12-20, 08:59 AM
dtrulez
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a small update. I found a warmer day to remove the valve cover and added Rtv at both sides corners of valve cover at the front where it goes from flat to round, and the two half moon. I tighten them and let it sit for half the day hoping that would of fixed it. But it didn't now Im really thinking its the Passenger CAM seal. I checked all around the Valve cover and it looks dry, I tried wiping the bottom front corner of the VC where it touches the P/S reservoir hose (super tight spot! where i originally suspected the leak dripped down and around from) and it seems dry to me as well.

I have seen some pictures of other peoples cam gear leaking where the t-belts drowned in oil, but i couldn't really find much pictures of other cars online to compare how cam seal leaks really look. Since this type of car and leaks are newer to me . i have attached a picture of mine if you guys can take a look and see if it looks like its leaked? Im not sure if its just me but it seems to leak more visibly, only when i park overnight facing downhill on my decline driveway.

seems to be a thick blob of oil collecting here

the bottom part looked a bit wet and the bolt that held the lower cover on was wet.

For some reason the inside of the T belt cover wasn't really wet at all other then the rubber seal on the bottom edge of it.. Not sure if it leaked all out on the black backing plate, or the oil got splashed all over the seal from the belt spinning. The Tbelt is still dry .

any insight would be helpful! I really don't want to spend a couple thousand to replace this 20 dollar seal!! the belt is not due for a long time and it seems too early to be leaking...

thanks
Old 03-12-20, 10:20 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by dtrulez
Just a small update. I found a warmer day to remove the valve cover and added Rtv at both sides corners of valve cover at the front where it goes from flat to round, and the two half moon. I tighten them and let it sit for half the day hoping that would of fixed it. But it didn't now Im really thinking its the Passenger CAM seal. I checked all around the Valve cover and it looks dry, I tried wiping the bottom front corner of the VC where it touches the P/S reservoir hose (super tight spot! where i originally suspected the leak dripped down and around from) and it seems dry to me as well.

I have seen some pictures of other peoples cam gear leaking where the t-belts drowned in oil, but i couldn't really find much pictures of other cars online to compare how cam seal leaks really look. Since this type of car and leaks are newer to me . i have attached a picture of mine if you guys can take a look and see if it looks like its leaked? Im not sure if its just me but it seems to leak more visibly, only when i park overnight facing downhill on my decline driveway.

seems to be a thick blob of oil collecting here

the bottom part looked a bit wet and the bolt that held the lower cover on was wet.

For some reason the inside of the T belt cover wasn't really wet at all other then the rubber seal on the bottom edge of it.. Not sure if it leaked all out on the black backing plate, or the oil got splashed all over the seal from the belt spinning. The Tbelt is still dry .

any insight would be helpful! I really don't want to spend a couple thousand to replace this 20 dollar seal!! the belt is not due for a long time and it seems too early to be leaking...

thanks
If your not sure I would just leave it alone. I'm still not sure my cam seals were leaking when I did the job and I'm pretty sure most of the oil was from the valve covers. If the seals were leaking there would be oil all over the belt and inside of the cover. If it does have a very small leak I would pop the cover off every now and then to make sure it's not contaminating the belt and just live with it. There's no inexpensive way to change those seals and even if you DIY it your going to be stressed about messing something up. Someone that knows what they are doing can do this job without too much worry but it will be time consuming since you have to remove the TB.