LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430 - Transmission Oil and Spark Plugs; labor charge question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 01:51 PM
peggypwr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 LS430 - Transmission Oil and Spark Plugs; labor charge question

Hello, I have a 2004 LS430 with 100k miles.

Ebay or Amazon

1. Can anyone link to me OEM Toyota /Lexus Spark plugs that are a good price and less likely to be knock offs.

2. Same for Transmission Oil ; OEM Toyota/Lexus. How many bottles will I need??

3. DO I need to worry about the timing belt? There is no noise. If so, any OEM timing Belt kits you folks can link to?

4. If I did #1 and #2, how much should the total labor be at an independent shop?

5. If I did all three, how much would labor be at an independent shop?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Old 03-05-20, 02:16 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by peggypwr1
Hello, I have a 2004 LS430 with 100k miles.

Ebay or Amazon

1. Can anyone link to me OEM Toyota /Lexus Spark plugs that are a good price and less likely to be knock offs.

2. Same for Transmission Oil ; OEM Toyota/Lexus. How many bottles will I need??

3. DO I need to worry about the timing belt? There is no noise. If so, any OEM timing Belt kits you folks can link to?

4. If I did #1 and #2, how much should the total labor be at an independent shop?

5. If I did all three, how much would labor be at an independent shop?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Rock auto has reasonable prices as well as amazon. Ebay can be risky with knock offs, you're right.
I suggest that you do some research here with the search function on transmission, Drain vs flush. Before you decide to do it.
It'll also address the type of fluid to use.
Do you have the records of when/if the timing belt was ever changed?
Familiar with drivers.lexus website?
Also if the water pump was changed at the same time. It should be. And more. Coolant, thermostat, idler pulley, serpentine belt. Again research.
These searches should also help with labor ideas.
Unfortunately, what you're about to do isn't simply black and white.
Old 03-05-20, 02:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Timing belt plus water pump (always do it with the belt) is 4.2 hours

Plugs are 1.0 for all 8

Trans and oil change are .3 each unless you drop the trans pan, then it's 1.2 for the trans.

Look up prices for parts on rockauto to get an idea for prices
Old 03-05-20, 06:27 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

That's great. I don't know that off the top of my head.
Old 03-05-20, 06:58 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Original Spark plugs are rated for 120K miles. Mine is 2004 and I haven't done them yet. Some people have stretched it way beyond 120K and found OEM plugs to be ok. If you have no problems (and aren't OCD for over-maintenance), you can skip that.

I have seen very rare cases of transmission problems with LS430. If it is shifting fine then any transmission service is optional. I did drain and fill thrice and shifts great but probably would have been fine otherwise too.

You should get thee timing belt and water pump done. (if not done already. Open the hood and check for the existence of sticker/check Lexus service records) Along with tensioner and idler. Cost at dealer can be $1K-$1,500. Indy around $800 +- $200.
I installed this kit
Amazon Amazon

The following 3 users liked this post by BMW7_LS430:
JS116 (03-10-20), LS430inDE. (03-06-20), swfla (03-05-20)
Old 03-05-20, 08:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'm actually surprised it costs that much, by the book it's harder to do the intake manifold than the timing belt. I would charge as above for the job since it's really actually quite easy and the best I've ever done in terms of difficulty......too bad I never see 430s since they don't break lol!
Old 03-05-20, 08:19 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'm actually surprised it costs that much, by the book it's harder to do the intake manifold than the timing belt. I would charge as above for the job since it's really actually quite easy and the best I've ever done in terms of difficulty......too bad I never see 430s since they don't break lol!
Toyota service quoted my $1400. I then didn't even ask Lexus. lol. I think they account for somewhere between 7-9 hours. Can't remember exact number,
Then I thought I will buy the kit and have it installed by indy. Indy said they don't install customer bought parts and with their parts it was going to be $1750.00 These guy are ex-Lexus and were reasonable when they started. Now they got famous and are even more expensive than Lexus.

I gave up looking around and took it upon myself to go after it DIY. Everything turned out alright but I spent about 20 hours. lol. Final cost was $170 for the kit and $100 for the impact wrench. Learning was priceless.

You seem to be a very honest mechanic. May best things come your way! Hopefully some forum members around your location use your services.

During past holidays local Lexus dealer here had a $1K timing belt special and I thought that was a great deal. Someone on the forum used it and posted here.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 02:50 AM
peggypwr1
Driver School Candidate

The kit you linked, is this genuine OEM? or after market is fine?
Old 03-06-20, 02:52 AM
peggypwr1
Driver School Candidate

Oh nevermind, I read the Amazon FAQs, this seems to be legit OEM.!
Old 03-06-20, 05:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

On the timing belt thing, at least back in early 2017, the dealer had $1400 and $1800 (Lexus). The $1400 was the 90k, the $1800 was the 180k. Difference being some idlers and the tensioner. Then I called indies and they were $750 and $900, same thing.

I'm glad I went the indie route because I am convinced not only is their price lower, they do a superior job.

Why?

Because dealers operate under the flat rate system of compensating techs. The name of the game for a tech is to physically be in the dealership for 40 hours, but to get compensated for 70. That's every car, every job. This system is not copacetic with human nature. It leads to scenarios like 7/8 spark plugs being changed, 2.5 quarts of tranny fluid this time, 6 next time,. parts being sold that never make it to the customers' cars, forgetting to return used parts as asked, or even better, we don't do that, and on and on. It's not just Lexus.

Food for thought. I used to bring my BMW to the dealer, and I've been to maybe 14 or so. Maintenance was free for the first 4 years, and always a brand new BMW loaner. There were times that I went in for an oil change, that's it, be it the free one, or the interval one that I paid for. Sometimes it took 3 days. And I had their loaner car. Broken system i.e. flat rate. That job is worthless comp-wise, and gets bumped down. Now maybe BMW is an extreme, because in 2016? I had a loaner car for 4.5 months, and my car was in my garage (Takata). To get a free brand new BMW loaner? You need a pulse of at least 50. lol

edit p.s. Takata should be a Harvard Business School case study. I just got my settlement check this week, after 4 years. I can't imagine what the lead plaintiffs and attorneys made. A TON. AND? The airbag that was installed in late 2016, is no good. It needs to be replaced now. Wonder if that means more lawsuits. Takata showed who were the good guys. Honda and BMW were outstanding, free loaners for all. Toyota, Audi, Mercedes, disgraceful. No loaners keep driving lol Mazda Subaru were in the middle.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-06-20 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 09:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
On the timing belt thing, at least back in early 2017, the dealer had $1400 and $1800 (Lexus). The $1400 was the 90k, the $1800 was the 180k. Difference being some idlers and the tensioner. Then I called indies and they were $750 and $900, same thing.

I'm glad I went the indie route because I am convinced not only is their price lower, they do a superior job.

Why?

Because dealers operate under the flat rate system of compensating techs. The name of the game for a tech is to physically be in the dealership for 40 hours, but to get compensated for 70. That's every car, every job. This system is not copacetic with human nature. It leads to scenarios like 7/8 spark plugs being changed, 2.5 quarts of tranny fluid this time, 6 next time,. parts being sold that never make it to the customers' cars, forgetting to return used parts as asked, or even better, we don't do that, and on and on. It's not just Lexus.

Food for thought. I used to bring my BMW to the dealer, and I've been to maybe 14 or so. Maintenance was free for the first 4 years, and always a brand new BMW loaner. There were times that I went in for an oil change, that's it, be it the free one, or the interval one that I paid for. Sometimes it took 3 days. And I had their loaner car. Broken system i.e. flat rate. That job is worthless comp-wise, and gets bumped down. Now maybe BMW is an extreme, because in 2016? I had a loaner car for 4.5 months, and my car was in my garage (Takata). To get a free brand new BMW loaner? You need a pulse of at least 50. lol

edit p.s. Takata should be a Harvard Business School case study. I just got my settlement check this week, after 4 years. I can't imagine what the lead plaintiffs and attorneys made. A TON. AND? The airbag that was installed in late 2016, is no good. It needs to be replaced now. Wonder if that means more lawsuits. Takata showed who were the good guys. Honda and BMW were outstanding, free loaners for all. Toyota, Audi, Mercedes, disgraceful. No loaners keep driving lol Mazda Subaru were in the middle.
Try Chrysler.

They tell me my truck needs it AND FAILS TO REALIZE MINE HAS SIDE AIRBAGS. That automatically means my fronts weren't subject to recall and they only realized this after the moron tech pulled my passenger bag igniter and realized my truck had the advanced bags and was fine. Then he proceeded to put it back together wrong and not reconnect my outmost vent sleeve to the HVAC box and mess up some of my screw heads that are visible in the passenger seat. Keep in mind the truck was brought to them with the BAG ON THE SEAT. I told the service manager to "not let the tech put anything back together and ONLY touch the igniter sitting attached to the bag on my passenger seat so they don't mess up my interior (literally mint. Bought new and is still absolutely perfect down to not even the smallest scratch anywhere on the dash).

Not only was I ignored they messed up those screw heads like I mentioned by using a speed gun with a 8mm hex instead of a #2 screwdriver in the center by hand to avoid scratching the paint on the screws but they set my glovebox down FACE DOWN on the concrete floor.

I was beyond livid and walked right into the service department and told the head service writer to go clear a bay, get me the tools I request (I told him everything needed from memory as I just took it apart and remembered), bring me the tech who did it so I can show him how to properly do his job and to tell the parts department I would be strolling through and picking out some free OE fluids for my inconveniences since they can't do their jobs. Tired to hire me after the whole deal was done to top it off.

I'm still infamous at this dealer to this day.

Sorry for the rant but that whole airbag deal drove me a little crazy due to massive dealer incompetence. I'm glad at least BMW cares enough about grenades in customers faces to provide a car for you to use vs some companies just saying pull the fuze and don't worry about it

Last edited by Striker223; 03-06-20 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 10:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Try Chrysler.

They tell me my truck needs it AND FAILS TO REALIZE MINE HAS SIDE AIRBAGS. That automatically means my fronts weren't subject to recall and they only realized this after the moron tech pulled my passenger bag igniter and realized my truck had the advanced bags and was fine. Then he proceeded to put it back together wrong and not reconnect my outmost vent sleeve to the HVAC box and mess up some of my screw heads that are visible in the passenger seat. Keep in mind the truck was brought to them with the BAG ON THE SEAT. I told the service manager to "not let the tech put anything back together and ONLY touch the igniter sitting attached to the bag on my passenger seat so they don't mess up my interior (literally mint. Bought new and is still absolutely perfect down to not even the smallest scratch anywhere on the dash).

Not only was I ignored they messed up those screw heads like I mentioned by using a speed gun with a 8mm hex instead of a #2 screwdriver in the center by hand to avoid scratching the paint on the screws but they set my glovebox down FACE DOWN on the concrete floor.

I was beyond livid and walked right into the service department and told the head service writer to go clear a bay, get me the tools I request (I told him everything needed from memory as I just took it apart and remembered), bring me the tech who did it so I can show him how to properly do his job and to tell the parts department I would be strolling through and picking out some free OE fluids for my inconveniences since they can't do their jobs. Tired to hire me after the whole deal was done to top it off.

I'm still infamous at this dealer to this day.

Sorry for the rant but that whole airbag deal drove me a little crazy due to massive dealer incompetence. I'm glad at least BMW cares enough about grenades in customers faces to provide a car for you to use vs some companies just saying pull the fuze and don't worry about it
dang sorry to hear. I saw that I had a new recall on the Carfax phone app, and shortly thereafter the selling BMW dealer called (I didn't do the recall there in 2016). Have not taken it in yet.

It was a joke how they gave out loaners for anyone who wanted one. Some folks had BMW loaners for more than 1.5 years. When I returned mine I saw the internal bill it was $93/day lol almost 13k. Then there was some subtraction making it in the low 9's. The only reason I saw it was I asked for paperwork proving I brought the car back. For anyone who gets a loaner more than 30 days--make sure you go back and rewrite the contract. This was not on my insurance as BMW provided. They still required the vehicle to come back prior to 30 days. Normally, when you rent personally, nobody is going to remind you. You get in an accident suddenly your insurance will say that's not a temporary use auto you had the car more than 30 days. Mercedes Benz had an official statement that death and severe injury may occur, however, no deaths have occurred thus far, therefore loaners are unwarranted. It was in writing. Toyota was pretty bad to its customers too, but as they say, love is blind. We all know why BMW went to that expense--image. They are like Apple.
Old 03-06-20, 10:31 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
dang sorry to hear. I saw that I had a new recall on the Carfax phone app, and shortly thereafter the selling BMW dealer called (I didn't do the recall there in 2016). Have not taken it in yet.

It was a joke how they gave out loaners for anyone who wanted one. Some folks had BMW loaners for more than 1.5 years. When I returned mine I saw the internal bill it was $93/day lol almost 13k. Then there was some subtraction making it in the low 9's. The only reason I saw it was I asked for paperwork proving I brought the car back. For anyone who gets a loaner more than 30 days--make sure you go back and rewrite the contract. This was not on my insurance as BMW provided. They still required the vehicle to come back prior to 30 days. Normally, when you rent personally, nobody is going to remind you. You get in an accident suddenly your insurance will say that's not a temporary use auto you had the car more than 30 days. Mercedes Benz had an official statement that death and severe injury may occur, however, no deaths have occurred thus far, therefore loaners are unwarranted. It was in writing. Toyota was pretty bad to its customers too, but as they say, love is blind. We all know why BMW went to that expense--image. They are like Apple.
Image and caring is a big deal, if a company cares for real it's outstanding beyond belief sometime what they will do for a customer. Not related to cars but I am a self proclaimed fanboy of a firearms company who are insane with their customer service and policy. It's to the point they ruin you for any other brand it's so good, basically if anything displeases you, not necessarily something being wrong or not working, but just if you don't like something they will pay for everything and send a UPS truck to you and go so far as to make you a new gun if it's not something they can perfectly fix. You pay literally nothing and I'm sure if they could legally give a loner they would, they suffice with sending back extras and free products. That's how you get someone to spend 57k on handguns
Old 03-06-20, 01:00 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Image and caring is a big deal, if a company cares for real it's outstanding beyond belief sometime what they will do for a customer. Not related to cars but I am a self proclaimed fanboy of a firearms company who are insane with their customer service and policy. It's to the point they ruin you for any other brand it's so good, basically if anything displeases you, not necessarily something being wrong or not working, but just if you don't like something they will pay for everything and send a UPS truck to you and go so far as to make you a new gun if it's not something they can perfectly fix. You pay literally nothing and I'm sure if they could legally give a loner they would, they suffice with sending back extras and free products. That's how you get someone to spend 57k on handguns
Some old American companies are like that. Faucet ones starts with "K" and ends in "r" and founder's first name Herbert, is one. Their competition, same, starts with "M", ends in "n", rhymes with Owen. Those cos. stand by their products like it's 1945 or something and reputation is everything; I bought a high end faucet in 2004, first time I needed a cartridge they entered me in the computer, never asked for proof of purchase. As the years went on I needed o-rings, sleeves, strainers, etc. It's like the unit will last forever and is warranted forever. The lighting co. that starts with "L," and ends with "n," and rhymes with neutron, same thing. Had a fancy dimmer burn out, it's not warranted for life, but they sent me a new one anyway. The brand loyalty they build will probably pay off many times in a person's life. Since I really don't go to Lexus dealerships not sure how they are. I will say one local one was really great as far as touch-up paint. Guy told me don't drive here just for that, we'll ship it to you, just give me your credit card (this I was a little apprehensive about but nothing happened). The dealer 4 miles from my house? Said I would have to drive in to pay for the paint before he's gonna order it hahahahahahahahaha I don't even remember how much but I think $20-$22 since my car is pearl and there are 2 tubes. You can't spot me and let me pay when you have the paint? Or, maybe take my CC? He said no you have to come in.
Old 03-06-20, 04:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

a firearms company who are insane with their customer service and policy.
So what's THEIR first and last letters of their name, and a word they rhyme with!?

Quick Reply: 2004 LS430 - Transmission Oil and Spark Plugs; labor charge question