LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 won’t shift past 3rd gear. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 01:12 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 04 LS430 won’t shift past 3rd gear. Anyone else?

I recently purchased an 04 LS430 and I’ve had this happen to me on two occasions. When I start the car up in the morning in warm climate and drive it, it will go into some sort of safe mode and will not shift past third gear. I have tried to shift it manually through the gate but it still will not shift. If I come to a stoplight and shut it off and turn it back on it is perfectly fine.

To me this seems like something electronically because it will go a few hundred miles before the problem reoccurs. Not something that would be low fluid in my opinion. Anyone else have this issue? I searched but didn't find very much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-19-20, 02:38 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

The trans is in fail safe mode. There is something wrong with it. Have a competent shop read the transmission codes and start there. Could be something as simple as a failing solenoid.
Old 03-23-20, 09:01 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Same happened to my wife's 2004, wouldn't go beyond 3rh gear. Fail safe mode. After a great deal of searching didn't find much at all because these cars rarely have tyranny issues.

Solution was a transmission rebuild at local tranny shop. 3 years later running well. However as others suggested get a full diagnosis before committing to a bit pricey rebuild.

please keep us posted.
Old 03-24-20, 05:25 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdog
I recently purchased an 04 LS430 and I’ve had this happen to me on two occasions. When I start the car up in the morning in warm climate and drive it, it will go into some sort of safe mode and will not shift past third gear. I have tried to shift it manually through the gate but it still will not shift. If I come to a stoplight and shut it off and turn it back on it is perfectly fine.

To me this seems like something electronically because it will go a few hundred miles before the problem reoccurs. Not something that would be low fluid in my opinion. Anyone else have this issue? I searched but didn't find very much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Lexus calls this "4th Gear Up-shift Prohibition Control". The main considerations are engine coolant temperature and vehicle speed according to the "Road Test" procedures.

Old 03-24-20, 08:00 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor maybe your first step to try to resolve this issue. Please take a look at the link below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...re-sensor.html
Old 03-24-20, 12:17 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor maybe your first step to try to resolve this issue. Please take a look at the link below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...re-sensor.html
Thank you very much for posting that link and information. I just ran out and picked up a new coolant temp sensor. I will put it in later today and see if the problem pops up again. It has only happened are a cold startup where the engine temp gauge is still buried on low so this might be the cause. I will keep the thread updated. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-20, 07:59 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

2001 - 2003 LS430's use the A650-E 5 speed transmission which employs a fluid temperature sensor in the solenoid wiring harness.
2004-2006 LS430's use A761-E six speed.

If a fluid temperature sensor in A761-E, then perhaps a contributing factor.

Old 03-24-20, 08:42 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the same issue and I am also losing coolant, I wonder if that's the case since the shifting is fine until I start driving it a bit then gear 5 & 6 stop working.
Old 03-25-20, 05:55 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
I have the same issue and I am also losing coolant, I wonder if that's the case since the shifting is fine until I start driving it a bit then gear 5 & 6 stop working.
I would try to find your coolant leak first. Have your system pressurized.
My vehicle is actually not shifting past 3rd gear which is a fail safe mode. You can see if turning the car on and off makes it go back to normal. Will it shift through all the gears manually through the gate?
Old 03-25-20, 05:59 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
2001 - 2003 LS430's use the A650-E 5 speed transmission which employs a fluid temperature sensor in the solenoid wiring harness.
2004-2006 LS430's use A761-E six speed.

If a fluid temperature sensor in A761-E, then perhaps a contributing factor.
That is a good point, I will look into that. I changed the coolant temp sensor yesterday evening, so I will see if the problem persists. From my research these coolant sensors start to go bad and send incorrect temperature readings to the ECU. Which in turn can cause a failsafe mode for the transmission.
Old 03-25-20, 09:53 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

That is a good point, I will look into that. I changed the coolant temp sensor yesterday evening, so I will see if the problem persists. From my research these coolant sensors start to go bad and send incorrect temperature readings to the ECU. Which in turn can cause a failsafe mode for the transmission.
ATF's viscosity varies slightly with temperature. The ATF temperature sensor is designed to compensate for this variation by adjusting the solenoids' shift points. A failed ATF temperature sensor will prohibit upshifting to the higher gears.

Old 03-25-20, 11:06 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Before you waste more money throwing parts at the problem go have the codes read. Transmission codes are stored and don't illuminate the check engine light. I think most AAMCO locations will scan for free and have the ability to read the transmission codes.
Old 03-26-20, 10:39 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Just an update for future reference, my car still has the issue where it’s going into fail safe mode after replacing the coolant temp sensor. It did it this morning.
It looks like the ATF temp sensor would be an issue if you had an issue with 5th and 6th gear.

I'm going to have my codes read soon and will report back.
Old 03-26-20, 12:30 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

I ll highly suggest at this point to do a full health check with Techstream. It could be anything : VVTi solenoids, MAF, Line control solenoid, shift solenoid, low atf level, bad filters, issue in the throttle body area, low fuel pressure, issue with Evap or Fuel dampers... the worst case scenario - it could be ECM as well - not so uncommon in our cars.

You don’t want to replace each item obviously, but looking at Techstream data is a good first step to fix the problem.
Old 03-26-20, 06:39 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ls430w140
I ll highly suggest at this point to do a full health check with Techstream. It could be anything : VVTi solenoids, MAF, Line control solenoid, shift solenoid, low atf level, bad filters, issue in the throttle body area, low fuel pressure, issue with Evap or Fuel dampers... the worst case scenario - it could be ECM as well - not so uncommon in our cars.

You don’t want to replace each item obviously, but looking at Techstream data is a good first step to fix the problem.
I will order that software and see what I can figure out. I did notice that the heat was not coming on after the car was completely warmed up so it could have a bad thermostat, which might be causing a problem. Im going to swap it out tomorrow and make sure the coolant level is correct.

Quick Reply: 04 LS430 won’t shift past 3rd gear. Anyone else?