LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

(Help) Persistent steering wheel shake/jolt from hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-21, 07:00 AM
DC777
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Help Needed

I’ve researched this very extensively. My 2004 Ls430 has this issue. It seems that it is absolutely within the steering setup as I’ve replaced all the suspension. My suspension was completely garbage.

My wheel has play and a clunk when turning left and right. I’ve observed all the joints and the play is not observable. I can hear it and feel it though. I can place my ear close to the joint locations and hear that my upper intermediate is popping. The lower doesn’t look great, but I don’t believe it is the offender. As far as your clunk when you hit potholes, I’ve seen a lot of discussion on this as well. My vehicle has the same issue. I realize this is an old post, but I am reviving for the sake of someone else who comes along. I see these cars on the road a lot so I know people are still out there cruising. See below.

klandry60 , 12-23-20 01:41 PM
Driver School Candidate
My 2002 LS430 had the same issue clunking.I tackled my self being I have worked on these cars an others for years. Getting too point, steer shaft has 2 u joints, place hands on shaft, and U joint you will feel play if their is any. Also my rack an pinion you I adjusted the but tighten rack an pin adjusting nut tighten an back off 1/2 inch or less could help your clunk. What I did also replaced upper control arm on driver side was the main thing contributed too the clunking that was the main culprit of the clunking, I went ahead and replace both upper control arms.I replaced sway bar links also while at it...Car rides like a dream again. Go step by step, check intermediate shaft U joints in shaft, next check sway bar links, an upper control arm, struts will leak if bad mounts can be tighten, by jacking up front of car and tighten strut bolts and cradle frame bolts check all bolts on frame under front of car.