LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Programming Key Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 07:26 PM
CamPark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Key Fob?

My father lost a key fob to his '06 LS, he purchased a replacement through a Lexus dealer out of state and I am attempting to program it. I found instructions online, supposedly for this model, and can correctly enter the programming mode (it confirms by cycling the door locks), but using the steps provided, the fob does not program. Once in programming mode, the instructions I'm using state - "PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the first remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD for 2 seconds." I have attempted this a half dozen times with no success, are the instructions incorrect, am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with the new fob? Any help would be appreciated, the only locksmith in the area wants $125 with no refund if it doesn't work.
Old 04-28-20, 06:57 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

My '06 LS 430, it came with 1 master key fob, 1 valet key fob, and 1 emergency key, so it was short 1 master key fob. Although there are several threads here on replacement key fobs, it seemed that doing anything other than having the dealer program a new key fob was somewhat hit or miss, so that's what I did. My cost at the dealer for the new master key and programming was about $325.

IIRC, if you don't have a master key fob, a new master key fob cannot be programmed without changing the ECU. Likewise, the ECU only allows so many to be programmed before it is "full" and a new ECU is necessitated.
Old 04-28-20, 11:11 AM
CamPark
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply, TriC. I do have one master key fob, which is what I used to put the car into programming mode. I've seen advertisements for a "Toyota key maker", available starting at $12, will that device work on this 2006 Lexus? My dad is putting up my family during the pandemic, so I thought I'd try to save him some money by taking care of this.
Old 04-28-20, 11:28 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Sorry, I have no idea about such a "Toyota key maker," but if something sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Suggest you read through the threads about programming for ideas.
Old 04-28-20, 12:01 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Prob not a DIY situation. I bought a new fob right after buying my 430 as it only had one and it was rather unsightly. Purchased the fob from a Lexus parts counter but they wanted too much money to program so I took it to a local locksmith just down the street. He had the required equipment, a bulky keypad device that plugged into the car, and it still took him about 40 minutes of trial and tribulation. He finally got it programmed but it was obviously a struggle.
Old 04-28-20, 01:50 PM
Hotboy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
Prob not a DIY situation.
I have a 400 and needed another fob a few years ago. I bought one on eBay and it came with programming instructions. They were wrong. I found several versions of the programming instructions online, but none of them worked. I went to the dealer and asked about the price to prgram my remote. They said "we don't program customer remotes, only those purchased here, because we had a problem with them fouling up our special system required to program it," which was utter bullisht.

After I joined this site, I found the instructions that worked. My point is that, if the 430 is anything like the 400, there IS a DIY process (same as the dealer uses) and it only involves doing the exact actions needed, not any special machine.

Old 04-28-20, 02:11 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotboy1
I have a 400 and needed another fob a few years ago. I bought one on eBay and it came with programming instructions. They were wrong. I found several versions of the programming instructions online, but none of them worked. I went to the dealer and asked about the price to prgram my remote. They said "we don't program customer remotes, only those purchased here, because we had a problem with them fouling up our special system required to program it," which was utter bullisht.

After I joined this site, I found the instructions that worked. My point is that, if the 430 is anything like the 400, there IS a DIY process (same as the dealer uses) and it only involves doing the exact actions needed, not any special machine.
430 uses the Smart Key system, 400 does not.
Old 04-29-20, 01:39 PM
CamPark
Driver School Candidate

Thank you TriC, Bradland and Hotboy1 for the informative input. Guess I'll bite the bullet and have the county Toyota dealer program the remote. The local locksmith charges more than the dealer, doesn't guarantee it will work (but still charges the same if unsuccessful) and has lousy reviews on Yelp.
Old 04-29-20, 08:42 PM
MonSmash
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

@CamPark See link on instructions posted by rkw77080. You need to know if you have a smart key or not as there are two different instructions. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-a-master.html

Old 04-29-20, 08:50 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

just had a smart key programmed at my Lexus dealer. 1hour/ which here in Lubbock, Texas is $110.
had same done 7 years ago and was same. 1 hour. funny this time was easy, bought key on line but 1st time it took 3 hours. I was only charged 1 hour, but it took a very long time for the tech to get it done. and had to order key at parts department and they wanted proof of ownership of the car. took weekend to get key ordered on Thursday and came in Monday and back then 7 years ago key cost twice as much. dealer now has to send key to a local locksmith to be cut, they no longer cut a key at the dealer. I was told only 1 locksmith still has equipment to cut the key here in Lubbock. will do after lockdown.
Old 04-30-20, 02:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Lexus will use Toyota techstream software to make the change. It takes someone that knows the process and the software less then 10 minutes to do it. It is possible to do it manually using the steps/instructions but might take many attempts to get the timing exactly right. I did one on my SC430 and I think I repeated the process instructions (open, close door, lock, unlock, turn key, close key, etc. apprx 35-40 times before for some unknown reason it finally worked.
Old 04-30-20, 07:23 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Lexus will use Toyota techstream software to make the change. It takes someone that knows the process and the software less then 10 minutes to do it.
Attached is the step-by-step procedure if you take the Toyota TechStream route...
The following 2 users liked this post by rkw77080:
bradland (04-30-20), CamPark (05-01-20)