LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fed up with f-ing steering wheel shake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 08:08 AM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Trilkb
I’ve had my Lexus a little over 3 years. It’s currently at 189k. When I bought it it had wheel shake at 40mph. I put new tires on it (Nitto motivo) new steering rack bushings. New sway bar end links, new rear lower control arm bushings, I’ve had the front tires road force balanced, it’s been aligned. Today I’ve just had it. It has Monroe oe spectrum struts on it now. It still shakes but now at 65 ish mph and sometimes I think the tires flat spot so it’s worse than other times. Today I ordered new Monroe quick struts and new upper a arms to start replacing some things and hopefully solve a clunking/rattle issue that’s either ball joint or strut mount related from the drivers side front. I hope to put that on this weekend maybe. Apart from trying new tires what else should I do? I got a $1200 stimulus check to throw at this *****, help covid19 fix my wheel vibration!
Study this diagram. Get to know it upside down, inside out, and backward. Think about what happens to these parts as you drive down the road, when you turn the wheel, and when you hit a bump. The wheel (hub) attaches to the carrier assembly at the large green dot. The carrier assembly is supported by the upper and lower ball joints highlighted in red. When you think about the transfer of energy and or vibrations the carrier assembly is basically low hanging fruit as it will experience force or movement before either of the lower control arm bushings or the struts. The outer tie rod attaches to the lower ball joint (highlighted in blue) and acts as, for lack of a better term, linch pin connecting the carrier assembly to the steering wheel.

The following users liked this post:
TriC (05-15-20)
Old 05-14-20, 08:33 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Study this diagram. Get to know it upside down, inside out, and backward. Think about what happens to these parts as you drive down the road, when you turn the wheel, and when you hit a bump. The wheel (hub) attaches to the carrier assembly at the large green dot. The carrier assembly is supported by the upper and lower ball joints highlighted in red. When you think about the transfer of energy and or vibrations the carrier assembly is basically low hanging fruit as it will experience force or movement before either of the lower control arm bushings or the struts. The outer tie rod attaches to the lower ball joint (highlighted in blue) and acts as, for lack of a better term, linch pin connecting the carrier assembly to the steering wheel.
So are you pointing towards the outter tie rod end/lower ball joint transferring all the vibrations?

BTW, I bought the moog upper control arm because it has new ball joint and bushings already. The lower I need to figure out how hard it is to do the ball joint or just buy a whole new assembly from mevotech.

Last edited by Trilkb; 05-14-20 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 08:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

You are replying to the wrong thread lol. Nothing wrong with my transmission.
Are you sure your transmission is ok? How can you be sure?

lol you're right, my bad!!

btw I got new inner/outer tie rods last fall. One thing I noticed? My steering seems to be perfectly centered. Meaning I would get an alignment where all is green and it would be seemingly centered, and then off. also in a car wash it would go off, then less off.....
Old 05-14-20, 08:46 AM
bradland

So are you pointing towards the outter tie rod end/lower ball joint transferring all the vibrations?

BTW, I bought the moog upper control arm because it has new ball joint and bushings already. The lower I need to figure out how hard it is to do the ball joint or just buy a whole new assembly from mevotech.
This is how the LBJ is sold. You can't remove and service the ball from this assembly. It's a simple bolt on to the bottom of the carrier assembly but you will need a tie rod tool to accomplish the job.

Old 05-14-20, 11:24 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

@bradland Right, Thanks!
Old 05-14-20, 01:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Yea OEM 17's.

@ls430w140 I consider moog and ac delco to be quality parts. Front upper control arms going in are Moog Brand. Tie rod inner/outer will be moog or ac delco.
Dont get those, use Proforged for these cars for the tie rods and ball joints.

The fact the subframe doesnt have rubber isolators is a good thing in terms of less places play can exist, if you did the rack yourself recheck the bushings since one of them is directional. Just go from the wheels inward checking for movement part to part and when you find any play that's your issue

These cars are extremely simple to solve front end issues on, the only thing that is easier are strut based cars like a corolla

Last edited by Striker223; 05-14-20 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 01:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

DO NOT USE MEVOTECH. It's junk suitable only for people going for the cheapest possible fix when ultrapower doesn't make something, I've have multiple warranty claims with that brand
Old 05-14-20, 06:45 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Thanks for the heads up on mevotech. I read awhile back they were a safe way to go? So much for what you read on the Internet. I also thought ac Delco made the factory parts?

I bought the upgraded steering rack bushings. God, don’t make me think of that day I put those in.

my car does tend to wander or easily follow an uneven surface? But steering is tight and responsive and she doesn’t pull.
Old 05-14-20, 06:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the heads up on mevotech. I read awhile back they were a safe way to go? So much for what you read on the Internet. I also thought ac Delco made the factory parts?

I bought the upgraded steering rack bushings. God, don’t make me think of that day I put those in.

my car does tend to wander or easily follow an uneven surface? But steering is tight and responsive and she doesn’t pull.
No, factory is some Japanese brand I'm sure............mevotech is literally the worst tier Chineseium I have seen and it's only ever used by customers who can't afford anything else and usually are making payments for repairs. Really bad metal hardness, usually doesn't fit correctly, and just very poor quality in every way.

Based on what you are saying I would look at the tie rods or rack moving, if you can't feel anything loose it's likely inside the steering system
Old 05-15-20, 06:58 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

I will test and pull on everything when I do the quick struts this weekend.
Old 05-15-20, 08:51 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Striker223
No, factory is some Japanese brand I'm sure............mevotech is literally the worst tier Chineseium I have seen and it's only ever used by customers who can't afford anything else and usually are making payments for repairs. Really bad metal hardness, usually doesn't fit correctly, and just very poor quality in every way.

Based on what you are saying I would look at the tie rods or rack moving, if you can't feel anything loose it's likely inside the steering system
btw, how hard are inners to do? Ive actually never done an inner tie rod.
Old 05-15-20, 09:19 AM
joeshannon
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Piggybacking on this thread because my question is related. Does anyone know where I can purchase steering rack bushings? I attempted to purchase from TM Engineering but after two weeks I was refunded my money without explanation. I called the local dealer and while they now sell the bushings separate from the rack, they wanted damn near $400 for the four. I am not paying $400 for some bits of rubber. Has anyone purchased them recently? Thanks!
Old 05-15-20, 10:05 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by joeshannon
Piggybacking on this thread because my question is related. Does anyone know where I can purchase steering rack bushings? I attempted to purchase from TM Engineering but after two weeks I was refunded my money without explanation. I called the local dealer and while they now sell the bushings separate from the rack, they wanted damn near $400 for the four. I am not paying $400 for some bits of rubber. Has anyone purchased them recently? Thanks!
I had to go back to a 2001 model to find these part numbers so be mindful of compatibility if you have an '04-'06. They may fit perfectly but I'm not sure..

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/products/Lexus/2002/LS-430-43L-AT/BUSH---STEERING-RACK-HOUSING---NO-1/63015704/4551650030.htm

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...551650040.html

Poly-
https://www.amazon.com/Daizen-Sport-Tuning-Polyurethane-Steering/dp/B06W9JFT3Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ls430+rack+bushing&qid=1589562096&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/Daizen-Sport-Tuning-Polyurethane-Steering/dp/B06W9JFT3Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ls430+rack+bushing&qid=1589562096&sr=8-1

Last edited by bradland; 05-15-20 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 10:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Outside of here (3rd gen), I've seen people say absolutely use Mevotech, and that's on LS460s. It could be, that people have a view of Mevotech, that I would of Monroe for shocks. I used the quik struts on my Nissan and would consider it junk. At the same time, it's money for the muffler and tire shops of the world. I have looked at the price of Lexus OE tie rods and there's no way I would spend that on a 15 y.o. car. At the same time, I've looked at prices for OE Lexus shocks, and would spend that. So it totally depends. If I could have done it over I would have used Mevotech front lower control arms, instead of having the bushings pressed out and in. They're stamped steel anyway, and it would have accomplished the front bushing replaced too.
Old 05-15-20, 10:10 AM
joeshannon
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The link to Lexus of Atlanta, do you know if that is for all four bushings? One bushing?

I actually ordered the ones off of Amazon as well but it has been a week and it has yet to ship. I think it may just be TM Engineerings Amazon portal in which case I won't receive them.

Quick Reply: Fed up with f-ing steering wheel shake!!!