LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fed up with f-ing steering wheel shake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 06:41 AM
joeshannon
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty fed up with the shakes myself. I still cannot pinpoint it. I’ve done: new shocks and springs, wheels refinished and balanced, lower ball joints on both sides, new LCA bushings both sides, inner and outer right tie rods, sway bar end links, and wheel bearings, and my right upper control arm. I’m a bit lost at this point. Only thing left would be the left side tie rods or a completely new steering rack. Did you have any luck with the zip ties?? I did not.
Old 08-21-20, 04:38 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Last year, I bought a "NEW Raybestos Professional Grade (PG) Hub & Bearing Assembly Front 713163 Lexus LS430 2001-2006 eBay # 153334083857 for $68 USD before shipping. Less than 400 days later and less than 6000km later, it has gone bad due to excessive play. I can feel the a strange deflection in the steering wheel during braking and some wobble driving at certain speeds (~40-80km/h). I thought it was the lower control arm bushings, but the shop that just installed my new Pilot Sport 4 tires said the LCA bushings were fine and that the front left bearing was the culprit.

It was probably a bad batch from the factory or a counterfeit. I kindly informed the seller, G Tex Automotive Distributors LLC, eBay username gtex_auto, about this issue. No reply, but no warranty from the seller anyway, and factory warranty expired after 12 months.

My advice: if it's more complex than a loop of wire like a brake wear sensor cable, don't buy it on eBay. I've tested several eBay MAF sensors, most sold as "new" were used, and several were counterfeit. Stick to known parts sources such as RockAuto, PartSouq, Amayama, parts.com. Don't trust anything on eBay or Amazon.

I ordered a new Moog 513163 bearing from RockAuto and used the 5% ClubLexus discount (go to https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...-rockauto.html, Statistics, Find All Posts by RockAuto). Should be legit and has a 36 month, 36,000mi warranty, a much better warranty than any other bearing on RockAuto.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I replaced Moog bearings twice with the warranty at the shop and all two items came out to be junk. They couldn’t survive even 3000 miles, or so.

Last time I trusted Moog was when I installed their bushings in the lower control arm, but even though they hold up very well, I am likely won’t be looking at this brand anymore.

I agree that Ebay and evening Amazon are no go for wheel bearings, and I would look at Timken or Koyo as the only two Decent aftermarket bearings at this point, good to be ordered from Rockauto.
Old 08-21-20, 06:10 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Sorry to disappoint you, but I replaced Moog bearings twice with the warranty at the shop and all two items came out to be junk. They couldn’t survive even 3000 miles, or so.

Last time I trusted Moog was when I installed their bushings in the lower control arm, but even though they hold up very well, I am likely won’t be looking at this brand anymore.

I agree that Ebay and evening Amazon are no go for wheel bearings, and I would look at Timken or Koyo as the only two Decent aftermarket bearings at this point, good to be ordered from Rockauto.
Here is another example of MOOG not monitoring manufacturing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rock-auto.html

Spoke to a corporate automaton who patched me through to an engineer...

You know what?

No one kept their word to get back to me.

WHY is Moog still off-shoring to China, a Country that has done nothing but undermine U.S. (us) ...??

Last edited by YODAONE; 08-21-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 07:26 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by joeshannon
Pretty fed up with the shakes myself. I still cannot pinpoint it. I’ve done: new shocks and springs, wheels refinished and balanced, lower ball joints on both sides, new LCA bushings both sides, inner and outer right tie rods, sway bar end links, and wheel bearings, and my right upper control arm. I’m a bit lost at this point. Only thing left would be the left side tie rods or a completely new steering rack. Did you have any luck with the zip ties?? I did not.
Try a different set of wheels and tires off another car that you know doesn't vibrate.