LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To fix or not fix, what is your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 12:41 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question To fix or not fix, what is your opinion?

Hello All,

I'm writing my first post so please be patient

I have an 01' LS430 Ultra and the left front strut just died. I had just spent 1200 on a L/F tie rod, two new front tires, an oil change, and an alignment. The strut will cost 1900 out the door to replace, and it was the only one leaking. The other three show no leaks. I will need to do the timing kit again in a couple months ($1200) so I was wondering...

Would you keep it and sink the money into it or would you cut your losses and try to sell it? Never wrecked, clean, and engine is in great shape for 220K miles.
I love the car but I don't want to be unwise. Advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-20, 12:55 PM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Citysunset
Hello All,

I have an 01' LS430 Ultra and the left front strut just died. I had just spent 1200 on a L/F tie rod, two new front tires, an oil change, and an alignment. The strut will cost 1900 out the door to replace, and it was the only one leaking. The other three show no leaks. I will need to do the timing kit again in a couple months ($1200) so I was wondering...

Would you keep it and sink the money into it or would you cut your losses and try to sell it? Never wrecked, clean, and engine is in great shape for 220K miles.
I'd get a second opinion on both the strut replacement AND the TB service. Maybe try a Toyota Dealer or an Ind Shop.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584
The following users liked this post:
TurboTodd (06-03-20)
Old 06-02-20, 12:56 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello All,

Are you comfortalbe doing any of this work yourself? Have tools and some knowledge or are you needing to rely on a shop? My rule of thumb is for these cars its worth a $1k to $1.2K a year as that is the equvilenet to 2+ car payments on something worth replacing the LS with. But I tend to keep my cars a long time...and do as much of the work myself to make it worthwhile.
Old 06-02-20, 01:10 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
I'd get a second opinion on both the strut replacement AND the TB service. Maybe try a Toyota Dealer or an Ind Shop.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584
I’ve taken it to the Lexus dealer for everything. The advisor is someone I pretty well trust but even saving a couple hundred, I’m just wondering what the chances are of the other three struts failing in the near future. Thank you for the link and I’ll continue to fight the sentimental value vs. the real money.
Old 06-02-20, 01:37 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

It is time to ditch the air suspension and leave your worries about it behind.
Old 06-02-20, 02:43 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

The expense isn't the labor with this. It's the part. Online cheapest I found on a quick search is about $1200. Labor is $150 to install at my indy. When I replaced both front air struts I found them on Amazon for $750 each, new. Total labor was $300 to install both.
Old 06-02-20, 02:51 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Galco
Are you comfortalbe doing any of this work yourself? Have tools and some knowledge or are you needing to rely on a shop? My rule of thumb is for these cars its worth a $1k to $1.2K a year as that is the equvilenet to 2+ car payments on something worth replacing the LS with. But I tend to keep my cars a long time...and do as much of the work myself to make it worthwhile.
I agree with you on repairs vs. car payments. That’s why I’m conflicted, but as far as doing my own work...I couldn’t build a bird house with the help of a YouTube video, and when it comes to mechanical work I can handle small stuff like cabin filters but nothing else. Tools? I have a stapler and a pocket knife but that’s about all.
I feel like I’ll put up an ad, and if I get $2,500 I’d be happy but I just feel like I’ll regret it when it’s gone. Call me sentimental but that’s the reason for the conflict, I get attached to “stuff”.
Thank you for the advice.
Old 06-02-20, 02:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What's the overall condition of the vehicle and how much would it cost to get a new car or used car? that's how I'd look at it. Does $1900 mean you drive another 5 years? If so, the $1900 is cheap. But yes it's expensive given what it does at only 1 corner. How about converting to regular, what does that cost?
Old 06-02-20, 05:07 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriC
Thank you, and you’re right about the worry.
Old 06-02-20, 05:10 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What's the overall condition of the vehicle and how much would it cost to get a new car or used car? that's how I'd look at it. Does $1900 mean you drive another 5 years? If so, the $1900 is cheap. But yes it's expensive given what it does at only 1 corner. How about converting to regular, what does that cost?
A conversion would be cheaper, around 1600 for all 4 wheels. I’m pig-headed though because I’m a stickler for oem.

I think I’ll be selling it, but I’m going to sleep on it tonight. Thank you for the response!
Old 06-02-20, 05:12 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by aypues
The expense isn't the labor with this. It's the part. Online cheapest I found on a quick search is about $1200. Labor is $150 to install at my indy. When I replaced both front air struts I found them on Amazon for $750 each, new. Total labor was $300 to install both.
That’s for an oem set up?
Old 06-02-20, 05:50 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

That’s for an oem set up?
Yep! brand new OEM parts.
Old 06-02-20, 06:44 PM
CSA
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Exactly. In my experience when one corner of an air suspension goes bad, the others are not far behind. That was my experience with my dearly departed E550 now replaced by my LS. Air suspensions ride nice, but once they begin to go, you are looking at $$$$ to replace the air struts.
Old 06-02-20, 10:47 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

If you're not interested in converting to springs or coilovers, then sell it
Old 06-02-20, 11:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,237 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesse
If you're not interested in converting to springs or coilovers, then sell it
Or not willing to replace the rest of the air system

Quick Reply: To fix or not fix, what is your opinion?