LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Why wont my front end clunk go away?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20 | 09:38 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Default Why wont my front end clunk go away?

I have all but run out of things to replace chasing this clunk. It is on the driver's side front and it seems to happen doing low speed maneuvers in parking lots but also happens at highway speeds during corners. Sometimes it will also clunk under braking while going straight but if I do a quick left turn, it clunks again. If it makes any sense, it seems to clunk and then sort of "unclink" doing the opposite move (if it clunks in reverse as i am braking, it will clunk again going forward and braking. If i turn left and it clunks, it will clunk again going right. It will never clunk twice from the same maneuver; it has to clunk and "unclunk" before it can clunk again from the same maneuver.). Tonight, I wanted to check the 4 subframe bolts as it seems those can cause this sort of clunking. They were all tight so I decided to disconnect the sway bar links and tie the sway bar up and out of the way to eliminate that from the equation. No change in the clunk.
Additionally, other than the sound and the slight shock from the noise coming through the floor, there is absolutely no change in how the car acts before, after or during the clunk. even if it happens mid-corner at highway speeds

Things I have replaced within the last year:
Lower Control arm bushings (3 years ago actually)
Wheel bearings
Struts and strut mounts
upper control arms
lower ball joints
steering rack bushings

I got an alignment a couple weeks ago and they didnt see anything weird but i forgot to mention the clunk. There doesnt seem to be any looseness in the steering after the steering rack bushing replacement so I can't imagine the tie rods are causing the issue.

What else can i possibly check? I want to plan a road trip next month and while the clunk has been happening for over a year and doesnt seem to be getting worse, it does take away some confidence not knowing at all what's causing it and if something is about to fall off.

Car is a 2006 with 180k
Old 06-19-20 | 11:08 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

I have a similar sound but it only happens at low speed in a rough parking lot and on wash board like dirt roads. I have read that the u joint in the steering shaft can be a source of play in the steering and cause the audible noise, it won't affect safety or driveability just a noise. I bought steering rack bushing and sway bar bushings that I haven't installed hoping they will help with the problem but it may be my steering shaft u joint.
Old 06-19-20 | 11:13 PM
Thecar
Driver

It is said that sway bar end links can clunk over bumps. They are cheap so why not just replace them to see if that is the issue. Mine were recently replaced even though outwardly they looked fine (they were original) and my problems with highway wander were solved.
Old 06-20-20 | 07:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Is there any chance at all, it's from the brake pads shifting? The way to test this is try to duplicate the sound with brakes gently applied, the sound won't be there the 2nd time you gently have the brakes depressed.

I went through this in 2017, where over the phone indie "knew" what it was, sway bar end links. BUT, after doing 2 thorough test drives, hearing the sound, putting on a lift and using rubber mallets and LED flashlights, he traced the sound to the brake pads. Often shops (even DIY) will not put the shims back, there are 8 per axle. With OE pads, they are needed, with aftermarket, usually shims are attached to the pad backing. But at the same time, I have not seen 2 shims per pad on aftermarkets, only 1.

Again, this is a YMMV, but my experience in 2017.

I bet the dealer could have fixed the above for $3,000 lol again I would think the above illustrates the care that indies show for our cars, over dealerships
Old 06-20-20 | 07:52 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

As mentioned check the shims and also the tie rods both inner and outer, there may be just barely enough play to cause the issue
Old 06-21-20 | 11:30 AM
JasonARGY
Rookie

I will have to check the shims. I guess I had ruled out the brakes as a possibility since it happens without touching the brake pedal. If I think really hard about it, it would seem that the clunk may have started right around the time I changed my brake pads, but not close enough for it to be obviously related I don't think.
What exactly would I want to be checking for? just to see if the shim is actually there or is it quite obvious when something is wrong?

I also already ordered new sway bar links and bushings as the ones I took off did look worn and with the sway bar disconnected, the car seemed to be smoother over train tracks in terms of noise so I'm assuming they were just rattling around.
Old 06-21-20 | 01:59 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

disconnect your tie rods and give them a good tug to make sure it's not those.
Old 06-21-20 | 02:40 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Originally Posted by weldthedif
disconnect your tie rods and give them a good tug to make sure it's not those.
I like the username.
I can try that but is that the only way to test them? If it was tie rod related, wouldn't I be able to notice some looseness or noise when turning the steering wheel while the car is stopped?
Old 06-24-20 | 03:03 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

I mean I'm having similar issues. I suspect it's the drive shaft. Ball joints, all tie rods with alignment and it's actually more pronounced.

Best way to describe it is like driving on the shoulder of the expressway and feeling those little ripples on the passenger front side. Not as rough sounding but close.
Old 07-08-20 | 03:50 PM
Zodiac
Driver

I am having a similar issue but on the passenger side. I took it to my friend auto shop and even he couldn't figure out where exactly the sound is coming from. The sound is driving me insane. I replaced the control arms, links, balljoints 4 years ago, perhaps it's time for a suspension tune up again.

Update: I just replaced both other tie rods hoping they would cure my clucking. They didn't. Next is to swap the left and right sway bar links since they are interchangeable.

Last edited by Zodiac; 07-17-20 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-19-20 | 10:07 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Okay okay, I have this "clunking" noise it seems only on the driver side and its intermittent. Damn.
If I turn the wheel all the way left, I might get it to replicate but not always.Turn all the way right and again, sometimes but not always. My indie checked the front end and found nothing and could't replicate it either. But as soon as I picked it, "clunk" and it stopped by the time I got back to him.

Its driving me crazy.

I know things like this are hard to track down via this forum, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Hagar; 10-20-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-20-20 | 06:02 AM
white_lx
Driver

Originally Posted by JasonARGY
Things I have replaced within the last year:
Lower Control arm bushings (3 years ago actually)
Which of the bushings were replaced: front or rear (caster bushing)? Or both? Did you use OEM parts for the rear bushings and were they installed correctly (orientation of the nubs on the bushing)?
Old 10-20-20 | 08:16 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

With the key on, engine off to keep steering wheel unlocked. Move the wheel left to right. Do you hear the same clunking?
Old 10-20-20 | 10:05 AM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pmesfun
With the key on, engine off to keep steering wheel unlocked. Move the wheel left to right. Do you hear the same clunking?

I like that, will report back...

Well that didn't produce any meaningful or desired affects for me at least. I have an appointment next week to do an alignment, we'll see if they spot anything.

Last edited by Hagar; 10-20-20 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-20-20 | 07:33 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Default Clunk

Originally Posted by Hagar
I like that, will report back...

Well that didn't produce any meaningful or desired affects for me at least. I have an appointment next week to do an alignment, we'll see if they spot anything.

its yur upper steering column. Not mid done that waste of time effort

Quick Reply: Why wont my front end clunk go away?