LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 07:11 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
This vehicle had XM (is noted in Service history on Lexus.com). For some reason the antenna was removed which I will investigate with dealer. Aside from the antenna, am trying to determine if the XM module is still installed. How can I determine that? Since the SAT screen comes up on the display and the antenna light is blinking, can I asssume that all is needed is the antenna?
Were you told the antenna was removed or are you assuming this to be the case. May wish to confirm with the dealer exactly where in the car the dealer installed it.
Old 06-24-20, 07:22 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

There is an area on the trunk where the antenna would normally where you can see there used to be an antenna. Lexus service record from several years back states owner said XM was not working correctly. Looks like Lexus recommended replacing the whole unit but service record does not say it was done. Appears to me the owner at some point gave up and removed the antenna. Or possibly the dealer (I purchased from) saw the XM system was not working and just removed the antenna to save the cost of fixing it.
Old 06-24-20, 07:40 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Suggest that you carefully inspect the (upper) trunk area to determine if the antenna has been tucked away. It may have been removed from its placement on the rear glass or trunk lid and secreted. There really should been no reason to physically remove it from the car altogether. Look for a thin black wire, probably coming from one side or the other.
Old 06-24-20, 10:48 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

There is an area on the trunk where the antenna would normally where you can see there used to be an antenna. Lexus service record from several years back states owner said XM was not working correctly. Looks like Lexus recommended replacing the whole unit but service record does not say it was done. Appears to me the owner at some point gave up and removed the antenna. Or possibly the dealer (I purchased from) saw the XM system was not working and just removed the antenna to save the cost of fixing it.
You were able to locate the tuner?
(If the tuner is installed and the antenna was actually removed, maybe try hooking up another antenna to see if it works....?
Old 06-24-20, 10:48 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

It sounds like either the antenna is bad or the add on module from Lexus is bad (hopefully it's not integrated). Trouble shooting =1) look for existing old antenna, 2) open console to see where and if antenna is plugged in 3) buy a new Lexus antenna (that will match the plug) and plug it into the dash unit. If you pick up channel, you've found the problem. 4) If not, then it's probably the xm module. Hopefully it can be unplugged from the main system and an aftermarket can be plugged in. Try old antenna first, if no good, try new antenna, it should be good and you'll need to install the cable and antenna somewhere. It's possible the new module will only work with the antenna that comes with it in the box. You'll need to research that all. You may find that the best option is to replace the module and antenna as a set. I suppose it's possible that the Lexus dealer who diagnosed the original problem still has records with details. Worth a phone call. You'll also know more once you open the dash and look at what plugs/sockets are available. Hope this helps you.
Old 06-24-20, 12:06 PM
waynedog
Pit Crew

I inspected the trunk and can find no evidence of the old antenna. Only the very faint area on the deck lid where the antenna was adhered. Since the Lexus service record shows the XM did not work and had to be replaced, it looks like the owner just had the antenna removed. I am not confident enough to try and take apart the dashboard to figure out if the tuner is in there. But since the SAT shows up on the screen it is pretty likely it is in there.

As another option, has anyone tried units like this that supposedly give you bluetooth connection for phone and music streaming (as opposed to the cassette version)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719SNR5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719SNR5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-24-20, 12:49 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I found this antenna https://parts.lexus.com/productSearc...chTerm=antenna

I understand why you don't want to open up the dash. Some models are easier than others but intimidating to me as well. From what I've seen, bluetooth adapters require access to connectors under center console. Here's something I've done in the past. Amazon has many models, lots of positive reviews too. They worked well and you can always return it if you don't like it. Anker is a quality brand from your link

Nulaxy Bluetooth Car FM Transmitter Audio Adapter Receiver Wireless Hands Free Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display - KM18 Black $18

IMDEN Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car, 3.0 Wireless Bluetooth FM Radio Adapter Music Player FM Transmitter/Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling and 2 USB Ports Charger Support USB Drive $18

You just tune your radio to an unused frequency and save it to memory. Like station FM1 for example. Then this unit is tuned by you to the same frequency. Hands free calling and music streaming. The unit has a microphone in it for phone calls. Not as seamless as a built in system but works great for streaming music from a phone app and usually a plug for iPod or similar music players.

Last edited by swfla; 06-24-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 01:15 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

I inspected the trunk and can find no evidence of the old antenna. Only the very faint area on the deck lid where the antenna was adhered. Since the Lexus service record shows the XM did not work and had to be replaced, it looks like the owner just had the antenna removed. I am not confident enough to try and take apart the dashboard to figure out if the tuner is in there. But since the SAT shows up on the screen it is pretty likely it is in there.
As another option, has anyone tried units like this that supposedly give you bluetooth connection for phone and music streaming (as opposed to the cassette version)?
Originally Posted by chunkyda
I am the second owner of this car and I have always wondered why the XM reception was poor (blocked by trees, etc). Today it finally got to me so I looked for the XM unit and found it velcro-taped to the passenger side fender in the trunk. This box has a Pioneer GEX-M8087XM and Toyota parts sticker so it was likely dealer installed. Seems the wire was spliced and poorly taped back together at some point in the car's past. (see the picture circled in blue) With a shielded cable carrying such a low signal, this is not the right way to run a wire. I ordered a new antenna from Amazon for $20 today and in a few days it will be replaced. Hopefully my reception will be better.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-05-ls430.html click to see the picture
The tuner may be in the trunk
Old 06-24-20, 01:36 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-05-ls430.html click to see the picture
The tuner may be in the trunk
Your stereo amplifier will also be in the trunk so leave that alone. (see page three of this pdf: Satellite Radio Tuner.pdf)
Check the connections. Attach an antenna to the tuner and see if it works

thanks to rkw77080 from thread at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...005-ls430.html
Old 06-24-20, 01:50 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Great find. If this is the case, it will be easy to access the components. A new Lexus antenna is about $90. If the module is bad, that may be an obstacle as it was reported that they are no longer made. I searched two Lexus suppliers and didn't find the receiver module for sale. But, one step at a time. Part of the "fun" of a new car is learning about the components.
Old 06-24-20, 01:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Waynedog, you mentioned some curb rash on the rims. I'd personally address this when it's time for new tires and also look into new TPMS as the batteries have a limited life. All these items are done with the tires removed. Don't forget to check the spare too. I'm sure there have been discussions here about preferred tires for your car. How much life is left in the tires now? Lots of fun times getting your car "just so"
Old 06-24-20, 02:18 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Waynedog, you mentioned some curb rash on the rims. I'd personally address this when it's time for new tires and also look into new TPMS as the batteries have a limited life. All these items are done with the tires removed. Don't forget to check the spare too. I'm sure there have been discussions here about preferred tires for your car. How much life is left in the tires now? Lots of fun times getting your car "just so"
The LS430 TPMS does not require batteries. The system counts wheel rotations and trigger the alarm when one or more wheels disagree with the others.
Old 06-24-20, 03:29 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

But do they have a life span, requiring replacement? Just googled it, it's based upon the ABS and doesn't actually measure any pressure.

Last edited by swfla; 06-24-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:50 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

I have not had a chance to get into the trunk and see if the tuner is installed but when I put the SAT on channel 0, the Radio ID shows. So I assume that means the tuner is installed?
Old 06-25-20, 10:59 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

I have not had a chance to get into the trunk and see if the tuner is installed but when I put the SAT on channel 0, the Radio ID shows. So I assume that means the tuner is installed?
You will still need to find it to connect an antenna to it. Here is a video showing how to get to the amplifier which should get you close to the tuner? (Do NOT take out the amplifier as in the video. The video is for illustration purposes only to help you get to that area where the tuner may be.)

From page 3 Satellite Radio Tuner.pdf courtesy of rkw77080

Video showing how to get into trunk area ...

Quick Reply: Satellite radio?