LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

P0340 VVT sensor or CAM sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 07:21 PM
cptKhalid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0340 VVT sensor or CAM sensor?

Hello guys, I hope everyone is doing great.
So I have a check engine light along with Check VSC. I checked the codes and had a knock sensor and a CPS (cam position sensor). I already ordered NGK Knock sensors, so that's out of the way. I read the thread started by Helge and the member called rkw77080 helped a ton understanding the issue. My question is how to know if it was the VVT sensor (Part #9091905036) or the CPS (part#1930050020) ? the only "bad" thing that is happening is the car sometimes suffer to start. I mean is will take more than normal to start, when crank it, it will not start, so you have to crank 2 or 3 times before is fires up ( I don't like long cranking so I don't burn the starter) the car is 01 LS430 220K Miles.

Thank you very much

Old 06-29-20, 07:43 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

See the location of the cam position sensor in the pic. If my car threw that code the first (and I don't mean maybe next week) thing I'd do is remove the timing gear cover and do a thorough visual inspection. Check the electrical connection and most importantly look for frayed belt fragments that may have jarred the sensor somehow. It's not necessarily common but it has been known to happen. If there is an issue it will be fairly obvious and you need to replace the belt asap.

Old 06-29-20, 07:50 PM
cptKhalid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
See the location of the cam position sensor in the pic. If my car threw that code the first (and I don't mean maybe next week) thing I'd do is remove the timing gear cover and do a thorough visual inspection. Check the electrical connection and most importantly look for frayed belt fragments that may have jarred the sensor somehow. It's not necessarily common but it has been known to happen. If there is an issue it will be fairly obvious and you need to replace the belt asap.

I just got delivered a new timing belt set and going to change it this week I guess. Is it easy to take the cover off without a hassle just to check?
Old 06-29-20, 08:12 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by cptKhalid
I just got delivered a new timing belt set and going to change it this week I guess. Is it easy to take the cover off without a hassle just to check?
There are only 4 bolts but the lower 2 can be tough to access without proper tools. There's also a wiring loom running directly in front making it tough to pull out...
Old 06-30-20, 10:01 AM
bradland

In my haste yesterday I kinda forgot about the 2nd cam sensor which mounts into the top of the cylinder head. Not to be confused with the knock sensors...
There's a WEALTH of info in this link thanks to RKW77080- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...o-go-away.html
Old 07-02-20, 09:36 AM
VWTim
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
In my haste yesterday I kinda forgot about the 2nd cam sensor which mounts into the top of the cylinder head. Not to be confused with the knock sensors...
There's a WEALTH of info in this link thanks to RKW77080- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...o-go-away.html
This here is the end-all info on this issue. I had the same code last year and it was due to the VVT sensor not functioning correctly, it was out of range. Replaced it and it's been good since. I forgot the code, but I also was getting a periodic Cam positioning error code, turned out to be the wiring on the cam position sensor under the timing cover, had made contact with the serpentine belt; cutting the insulation and allowing it to intermittently short between one of the signal wires and the shielding. A simple heat shrink and tape job and it's back in business. I'm finding lots of my wiring loop retention tabs are cracking from heat fatigue.
Old 07-25-20, 05:20 AM
cptKhalid
Driver School Candidate

hello guys, sorry for the late reply. I did change the timing belt and found out that the belt was eating my cam sensor wire located in the timing cover. changed the timing belt with an ASIN one and the sensor with an NGK one and fixed the issue