LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Road Trip Prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20 | 07:10 AM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Default Road Trip Prep

Greetings All,

Looking for some insight for those who've traveled long distances with their LS. In about 4 weeks I will be moving cross country a little over 2k miles. I'm already planning to get the 120k mile service before I go.Although the previous owner of my car maintained it strictly at the dealer until I bought it at 108k, which shows on lexus drivers history. One of my concerns is that I'm hesitant to do a transmission fluid change because it was not documented before, only the deferential fluid was. Do you guys think I should wait until I reach my destination to do the change it?

Either way, I am going to change it either now or in the next 5k miles with the possibility of rebuilding the transmission if it fails. My transmission has no issues whatsoever. Additionally, are there any tips you guys could give me on what to check and pack prior to my trip? I want to ensure I reduce the risk of getting stranded

Thanks in Advance!

Old 07-15-20 | 07:19 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

What year model is your car? I wouldn't hesitate or even think about transmission failure at that mileage but I would check the fluid level and color. Transmission failure is not common with these cars, 04+ cars have ecu problems that make owners thing their transmissions are bad.
Old 07-15-20 | 07:26 AM
greenskeep
Rookie

AAA membership and a credit card will get you on your way if something happens.
Old 07-15-20 | 07:52 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Change the filter and fluid and be on your trip, I have nearly 100k more miles than you and the 430 is my primary road trip car and I have total confidence in it
Old 07-15-20 | 08:04 AM
Romanova
Racer

Make sure your spare tire is in good shape and at the right pressure. I might bring a trolley jack along also to make a tire change go faster if needed. Battery in good condition and relatively new? If you live in AZ and it's a few years old, you might just replace it. Heat really seems to get the batteries after a few years.

Other than that, hit the open road and let her rip! These cars are built for the highway...
Old 07-15-20 | 08:20 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by Romanova
Make sure your spare tire is in good shape and at the right pressure. I might bring a trolley jack along also to make a tire change go faster if needed. Battery in good condition and relatively new? If you live in AZ and it's a few years old, you might just replace it. Heat really seems to get the batteries after a few years.

Other than that, hit the open road and let her rip! These cars are built for the highway...
Agree 100% with this battery advice. Az summer heat always seems to kill batteries when temps hit around 105 or above. Yours could be on the edge so Romanova is right, a new one is cheap insurance.
That said if the current Az heat isn't creating any other issues, overheating for example, everything should be fine for an extended trip. Check the date code on the spare tire it may be original (>15 yrs old) from the factory.

I did a lengthy trip from Az to IL and back to Az in 2017 and another in 2018. Different routes each time with various stops in New Orleans, Nashville, Denver, and others...
When you arrive at your destination you'll likely have a much better appreciation of how wonderful the 430 is
Old 07-15-20 | 09:51 AM
TominPT
Instructor

I also would not worry about the transmission. I bought my '05 a few years ago with 109,000 miles and it shifted like new. All prior service was done at a Lexus dealer. Still shifts perfectly. I did do three drain and fills just to keep it that way last year, only for peace of mind and not necessity. Do some drain and fills at your destination with confidence. There is a thread here on how-to, read that first. Its DIY.
Old 07-15-20 | 10:05 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Drove my 2002 LS430 with 150000 on the clock from New Ulm,MN to Spokane,WA. Our new home without doing any prep.
Was like driving a dream it was so smooth. Driving across Montana at 85mph was a breeze. Getting around the Sturgis bike
rally was slow part. One stretch I even got 32mpg.
Old 07-15-20 | 11:51 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

I've taken my 2001 LS and 2006 LS and now my 2011 LS across the country from FL to CA several times and from FL to NJ or NY a couple times a year. It is one of the main reasons I bought these cars. These are reliable cars but nobody can predict what could happen. I personally would not do the transmission service until you get there. No point in touching something that has not been touched before right before you go on a long trip. It has made it this far it will very likely make it no problem for 5,000 more miles. To be honest in my 2001 I only think the trans fluid was changed one time in 190K miles. I like to have several flash lights and a tire iron to make things easy should I have a problem. Check all tire pressure, leave on a fresh oil change and you should be ready to roll. An LS should be an uneventful but rally comfortable ride across country. I've driven through Texas, Arizona and the California desert in the dead heat of summer with no issues at all. Nice and cool and smooth sailing!
Old 07-15-20 | 05:12 PM
CSA
Pit Crew

I would have the cooling system checked out, and I would be prepared to remedy anything that needs attention. I just did that in preparation for a 260 mile each way trip to Las Vegas - it will be 110 degrees much of the way there and much of the way back with some long hill climbs in both directions. As it turns out, my six-months-in, new to me 05 430 with 141k on the odometer needed a new radiator, cap, and hoses together with the t-stat while my trusted, well regarded on this board indy was in there. We left the water pump alone because it was done with the timing belt at 90k.
The following users liked this post:
rmawyer (09-07-20)
Old 07-15-20 | 08:00 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

I'm also assuming that by now your car has had the timing belt and water pump and thermostat replaced based on mileage and time elapsed. If not, it really should be done.
Old 07-15-20 | 09:51 PM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Thank all of you for your insight and advice!

For peace of mind..I think I'll wait to do the drain and fill. I am going to do that standard oil change and full inspection. Cool thing is that my local lexus dealer is offering 50 bucks off a full oil change and full inspection for free. I just ordered new spark plugs which I'll have them install. I will definitely check the age and charge of the battery as well as the spare tire.

I love Arizona but, you are all correct the heat does tend to wear down on vehicles. I'm even thinking about buying a nice budget video camera with a mount so I can record the trip. I'll keep you guys informed once I get to the other side! Thanks again!
Old 07-16-20 | 06:56 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JS116
I love Arizona but, you are all correct the heat does tend to wear down on vehicles. I'm even thinking about buying a nice budget video camera with a mount so I can record the trip. I'll keep you guys informed once I get to the other side! Thanks again!
It would not be a bad idea to get a dash cam, either. You're gonna encounter a lot of idiot drivers on the road within a 2000+ mile trip. Glad to see you are paying mind to your car mechanically, but don't forget to protect yourself legally. I believe the Viofo A119V3 is probably the best bang-for-the-buck on the market right now. I have an A119V2, myself. LOTS of dash cams out there, but whatever you do I'd highly recommend considering one.
The following users liked this post:
430Dreamer (09-06-20)
Old 07-16-20 | 07:27 AM
Jabberwock

We have driven across the country in our LS430 multiple times, likely our best and most reliable road trip car ever.

Buy a couple of jugs of RainX windshield washer cleaner. Use one to fill the wiper reservoir to the brim when you start, keep the spare in your trunk. Long road trip in summer usually means bug encrusted windshield.
Check spare for pressure, make sure jack and basic tools are in trunk, make sure you can actually loosen each lugnut with the wrench, and then re torque to lug nuts 80ftlbs. Stock a couple of high power flashlights, as well as good quality first aid supplies/kit. Also carry a robust roadside emergency kit - walmart actually sells a pretty good one that has lots of essential items including triangle reflectors and 2-3 real old school flares.
Old 07-17-20 | 03:02 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

just drove to Dallas from Lubbock and back. temperature was 100 or over for most of the trip. What did I do before the trip? nothing. car is well maintained mostly by dealership so I felt it was okay for the trip. A/C kept me nice and cool. All dealerships are not the same so if you know and like the current dealer that might be better than an unknown at new location. '04-'06 year models should have serviced transmission BEFORE 100,000 miles or dealer might refuse to touch it. Transmission service is really not recommended much by Lexus dealers, just rather you buy a newer one preferably from them.

Quick Reply: Road Trip Prep