LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Apple CarPlay with Factory Navigation - Grom VLine2

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 01:37 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzism
So which is the better option out of the two, the vline2 or the android 9" screen for the LS?
I've been considering one of the AliBaba Android units, the main concerns at the moment are some reports of losing AC functionality (potentially related to blown fuses?) and the requirement of rewiring and replacement for the backup camera. Otherwise, I think it outshines the VLine2 unit in most regards. If you purchase an upgraded Android unit it now comes with wireless Android Auto/CarPlay without the use of a dongle. And of course the screen is much butter. The main benefits of the VLine2 unit are that you retain the stock look, backup camera, and can revert back to stock headunit controls as needed with the press of a button.
Old 07-06-21, 06:10 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvwls
I've been considering one of the AliBaba Android units, the main concerns at the moment are some reports of losing AC functionality (potentially related to blown fuses?) and the requirement of rewiring and replacement for the backup camera. Otherwise, I think it outshines the VLine2 unit in most regards. If you purchase an upgraded Android unit it now comes with wireless Android Auto/CarPlay without the use of a dongle. And of course the screen is much butter. The main benefits of the VLine2 unit are that you retain the stock look, backup camera, and can revert back to stock headunit controls as needed with the press of a button.

There is a youtube video of a shop over in the UAE that shows the complete install, and they also show how they were able to tap into the OEM backup camera and retain it.

Old 07-07-21, 01:44 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzism
There is a youtube video of a shop over in the UAE that shows the complete install, and they also show how they were able to tap into the OEM backup camera and retain it.
I think I've seen that video, I just wish there was a way to do it without having to remove lots of interior panels to run the new wiring back
Old 07-07-21, 07:10 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvwls
I think I've seen that video, I just wish there was a way to do it without having to remove lots of interior panels to run the new wiring back
You can add a wireless transmitter between camera and head unit, but it will never be as good as a wired connection.
Old 07-09-21, 02:04 PM
utals430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you mind giving us an update on what the experience has been? I just ordered one, I'll probably ask a local stereo shop to get it installed since I'm pretty useless at these things and very likely to break things up in the process.

Originally Posted by aerosynch
Backstory:
I bought a one owner 2006 LS 430 “ML” back in April from an older retired doctor and left it stock, but kept wanting to change the head unit for one with CarPlay as the stock navigation system was outdated. I didn’t want to get a Chinese Android unit because of spotty reviews and questionable shipping, and I also didn’t want to add a second display underneath the navigation.

Then I found the Grom VLine 2. I haven’t seen much, if any, posts about it here so I figured I’d share my experience with the photos below:

1) Grom VLine 2 unit received:

2) Taking the center dash/radio out through how-to's found here on Club Lexus:

3) Completely removed up to the Navigation screen:

4) Testing the unit once I plugged it in to the back of the radio, and back of the navigation screen:

5) Apple CarPlay working as intended, wireless I might add:

6) Better daytime photos completely assembled:

7) Screen resolution with the factory screen isn't amazing 1080P HD but honestly it looks very good for what it is, and better than the factory stuff:

8) LS430:
Old 07-10-21, 07:53 PM
cowincanad
Driver School Candidate

Yes, all factory stock buttons on the radio and wheel work. It piggybacks off the "DISC" button so all functions remain the same. All I do is press DISC to go into the module and then I can use the VLine 2 features.
does that mean though you lose the disc functionality?
Old 07-16-21, 07:26 PM
GM430
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GROM VL2 in Glove BOX install

Very helpful video from Aerosynch... thanks a lot.
I am encouraged and ready to move.
Can you please share how you installed the VL@n the Glove box including any pictures/Video. I would love to be able to consider to copy it.
I would like to hear about how this conversion is performing

Thank you
Old 07-18-21, 10:43 AM
aerosynch
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't been on here in a while but wanted to update that I sold the LS430 a year ago exactly, so I can't comment on how the CarPlay is performing. I ended up replacing it with a 2010 BMW M3, which coincidentally I also installed a similar module to add CarPlay.

Old 10-04-21, 10:51 PM
azmalu1
Rookie

Ordered mined over the weekend. Local shops are talkinng abou IOS15 causing havoc. Can anyone chime that is running it 3rd gen LS.
Old 10-05-21, 03:47 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by utals430
Would you mind giving us an update on what the experience has been? I just ordered one, I'll probably ask a local stereo shop to get it installed since I'm pretty useless at these things and very likely to break things up in the process.

Would it be reasonably easy to hook up full-time cameras, front and rear, to integrate with this unit? Many thanks.
Very nice add-on
Old 10-06-21, 07:39 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by azmalu1
Ordered mined over the weekend. Local shops are talkinng abou IOS15 causing havoc. Can anyone chime that is running it 3rd gen LS.
No issues with my iphone13 promax
Old 12-21-23, 04:01 PM
3bdoo
1st Gear

Backstory:
I bought a one owner 2006 LS 430 “ML” back in April from an older retired doctor and left it stock, but kept wanting to change the head unit for one with CarPlay as the stock navigation system was outdated. I didn’t want to get a Chinese Android unit because of spotty reviews and questionable shipping, and I also didn’t want to add a second display underneath the navigation.

Then I found the Grom VLine 2. I haven’t seen much, if any, posts about it here so I figured I’d share my experience with the photos below:

1) Grom VLine 2 unit received:

2) Taking the center dash/radio out through how-to's found here on Club Lexus:

3) Completely removed up to the Navigation screen:

4) Testing the unit once I plugged it in to the back of the radio, and back of the navigation screen:

5) Apple CarPlay working as intended, wireless I might add:

6) Better daytime photos completely assembled:

7) Screen resolution with the factory screen isn't amazing 1080P HD but honestly it looks very good for what it is, and better than the factory stuff:

8) LS430:
I liked this! Can i use this for my 2001 ls 430?? I would like the product link for my 2001 car, please
Old 01-03-24, 03:15 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 158 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 3bdoo
I liked this! Can i use this for my 2001 ls 430?? I would like the product link for my 2001 car, please
Hello!
We have the products for your vehicle here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex3l_.html
the stereo in your 2001 Lexus LS430 must have factory navigation to be compatible with GROM products.
Old 01-03-24, 03:19 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 158 Likes on 125 Posts

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

We plan to run the next group order for the VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 for CarPlay / Android Auto integration to Lexus and Toyota factory car stereo. The next group order will start on January 11th and run until January 19th. The product will ship at the end of January or early February.

The discount will be $120 off the VLine VL2 system and $70 off the VLite VT2 system. Both systems support wireless CarPlay and Android Auto integration into the factory Lexus stereo. With the GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system, you do not need to replace your factory stereo. The GROM systems use already existing car stereos, displays, and steering wheel controls to use and operate CarPlay and Android Auto in your vehicle. All important factory features, such as a backup camera and FM radio, will keep working.

If you want to join the group, send us a private message with your email address via this web forum. We will add you to the group.

Or you can send the request to join the group via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?
The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?
Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website: https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html
Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

The GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send us the request via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

CarPlay on VLine VL2 in Lexus LX 470 2004
The following users liked this post:
creimer2025 (07-05-24)
Old 01-04-24, 08:12 AM
chutak
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the BT3 device part of the group buy as well?

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay with Factory Navigation - Grom VLine2