LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS from hell...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 08:42 PM
dominick40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS from hell...

Hello all, I am posting these to see if anybody’s had any of these issues. I’ve checked the car with computers and mechanics and no one seems to know what’s going on.

1. the white smoke/ rattling | First, some context. It all started on a sunny afternoon, I noticed some inconsistent knocking/ rattling when pressing the gas pedal. Along with this there was white smoke that was thick and smelled a lot, soon the vehicle went into limp mode but it never overheat. Upon taking a look at it it was quickly assumed that it was the headgasket that had blown. But after conducting numerous block tests, I realized that it was not a blown head gasket. Two diagnostic tools came up with the code P2111, which translates to a throttle body valve that is stuck open, which was checked and is not the issue.

2. The oddly high oil reading on the dip stick. While trying to think of what had went wrong we checked the oil level with the dip stick which to our surprise had an insanely high oil level. We drained the oil to a minimum and the car ran smoothly for about 1 hour, to then the rattling/ smoke came back.

When I arrived back home from testing the vehicle, it squirted a lot of oil from the oil drain. There was also water on top of the oil. I am not sure if it could had been from washing the cat earlier in the day or if it could had been inside the oil pan. The car has not been losing coolant either.

Anybody ever had such an issue? If so, I’d really appreciate some advise.

Pic of the what the vehicle squirted out upon arrival to my driveway.

I am in no way saying the LS is a bad vehicle, quite the opposite. It’s the best vehicle I’ve had the privilege of driving, I am posting this with hopes someone can help so that I can keep driving it for longer.

By the way, it’s a 2005 with 197k miles. Regular oil changes and timing belt/ water pump replacements.
Old 07-30-20, 11:00 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

inadvertent double post....

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 07-30-20 at 11:08 PM. Reason: inadvertent double post
Old 07-30-20, 11:04 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dominick40
Hello all, I am posting these to see if anybody’s had any of these issues. I’ve checked the car with computers and mechanics and no one seems to know what’s going on.

1. the white smoke/ rattling | First, some context. It all started on a sunny afternoon, I noticed some inconsistent knocking/ rattling when pressing the gas pedal. Along with this there was white smoke that was thick and smelled a lot, soon the vehicle went into limp mode but it never overheat. Upon taking a look at it it was quickly assumed that it was the headgasket that had blown. But after conducting numerous block tests, I realized that it was not a blown head gasket. Two diagnostic tools came up with the code P2111, which translates to a throttle body valve that is stuck open, which was checked and is not the issue.

2. The oddly high oil reading on the dip stick. While trying to think of what had went wrong we checked the oil level with the dip stick which to our surprise had an insanely high oil level. We drained the oil to a minimum and the car ran smoothly for about 1 hour, to then the rattling/ smoke came back.

When I arrived back home from testing the vehicle, it squirted a lot of oil from the oil drain. There was also water on top of the oil. I am not sure if it could had been from washing the cat earlier in the day or if it could had been inside the oil pan. The car has not been losing coolant either.

Anybody ever had such an issue? If so, I’d really appreciate some advise.

Pic of the what the vehicle squirted out upon arrival to my driveway.

I am in no way saying the LS is a bad vehicle, quite the opposite. It’s the best vehicle I’ve had the privilege of driving, I am posting this with hopes someone can help so that I can keep driving it for longer.

By the way, it’s a 2005 with 197k miles. Regular oil changes and timing belt/ water pump replacements.
It may be unfortunate the oil level was not discovered earlier. If the high oil level is due to overfilling, it may cause problems. If oil is too high in the pan, the crankshaft's contact may aerate the oil making it frothy and foamy so unable to properly lubricate.
Also, excessive oil can create excessive pressure looking to escape and so may damage various gaskets and seals resulting in leaks.
But, make sure the excessive oil is not a result of other fluids getting into the oil....
Old 07-31-20, 06:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Are you the original owner, or is this new to you? I'm not liking the white smoke, limp mode, and high oil level. Is that water on the oil, coolant? I can't see washing anything would get into the crankcase? I'd want to read the code for the limp mode, get the oil changed, coolant replaced unless sure the coolant is not compromised, and try again. I wouldn't want to do anything until the oil is replaced, and that's really easy....good luck.
Old 07-31-20, 06:32 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Are you the original owner, or is this new to you? I'm not liking the white smoke, limp mode, and high oil level. Is that water on the oil, coolant? I can't see washing anything would get into the crankcase? I'd want to read the code for the limp mode, get the oil changed, coolant replaced unless sure the coolant is not compromised, and try again. I wouldn't want to do anything until the oil is replaced, and that's really easy....good luck.
Oil level could be because of coolant getting in, im with you, oil change at the minimum, will also give you a chance to see what the oil really looks like
Old 07-31-20, 08:07 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If coolant isnt getting in, then perhaps gas is. Would also make sense that its running bad, Could be a cylinder down and the fuel injector is still throwing fuel into the cylinder. Maybe a fuel injector failed and stuck open.

The code makes me wonder which throttle body valve is stuck open, like the main valve, or IAC or what.

If it was overfilled a quart or 2 that isnt terrible. Are you saying you drain it and then it fills back up? Or did I read something wrong.

Last edited by Trilkb; 07-31-20 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 06:13 PM
zoomee99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Antifreeze\water got put into the oil filler spout?
Old 08-07-20, 06:53 PM
dominick40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this actually resonates with what I’ve seen. We opened the throttle boxy valve and took a look and there was residue inside the engine, we touched and smelled it and it smelled like gas.

Originally Posted by Trilkb
If coolant isnt getting in, then perhaps gas is. Would also make sense that its running bad, Could be a cylinder down and the fuel injector is still throwing fuel into the cylinder. Maybe a fuel injector failed and stuck open.

The code makes me wonder which throttle body valve is stuck open, like the main valve, or IAC or what.

If it was overfilled a quart or 2 that isnt terrible. Are you saying you drain it and then it fills back up? Or did I read something wrong.
Old 08-10-20, 12:47 PM
aqbill
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My educated guess is a bad head gasket which is allowing the coolant and oil to co-mingle. Good luck!

Last edited by aqbill; 08-10-20 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-11-20, 12:53 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dominick40
this actually resonates with what I’ve seen. We opened the throttle boxy valve and took a look and there was residue inside the engine, we touched and smelled it and it smelled like gas.
Actually thats not really a sign of anything bad. Once PCV systems were introduced thats what you get. Cars used to dump positive crank case "stuffs" down a hose to the road. They have since made it a closed system and they reroute it to the throttle body. So imagine what an engine would look like if it wasnt breathing its own waste (PCV/EGR). This is why a catch can was invented. In the Ls engine world a catch can is basically a must. All that oily residue goes into your intake, your IAC, your throttle body blade, your intake valves. Coating everything in CRAP. In an attempt to be more eviromentally friendly, comes at the cost of your engine. Trust me, LS1 engines can eat half a quart of oil through the intake over 3k miles! however if all cars had catch cans from the factory, Mrs average house wife who thinks her car is the same as a dishwasher, wouldnt know to empty it out. You simply just pour it back into the crank case after it fills up. Anyways, theres some knowledge for you. Ive been wanting to put a catch can on the LS430 but its just something I havent got around to.

Have you gotten anywhere with the car?