LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT & VSC LIGHT after timing belt kit installment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 02:21 AM
AccordEURO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHECK ENGINE LIGHT & VSC LIGHT after timing belt kit installment?

Hello,

Just had a timing belt kit installed on my 04 LS430 by my mechanic and I was greeted to the two warnings when I started the car up.

It involved the whole lot, the TB kit w/ cam seals etc, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, new radiator, radiator hoses

He had it for around 4 days and the camshaft (which he stated was a time consuming job) had to come out so he could do the cam seals. Claims there were a few codes that popped up and then they cleared themselves, and then eventually came back on again. I think he said they were cam related? Sorry, I am not very in-depth with the mechanical side of cars, especially engine components.

Is this major by any lengths? Should I even be driving the car until I can get it back to him at the shop on Monday? This is very worrying for me as the car has never popped a major warning light for me other than cabin filter and washer fluids..

He wants it Monday to inspect and fix / clear the codes. Very worried something has happened, although I do trust him as he is a honest guy that many people recommend .

Old 08-14-20, 04:15 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

It could be something as simple as a loose connection on one of the sensors he had removed. It could be as complicated as him timing the cams incorrectly mechanically to each other in each head, or incorrect timing when the belt was installed. If he didn't use the factory service manual when he did the cam seals that could be the problem. There is a very specific procedure as the 2 cams in each head are geared to each other with a spring-loaded split gear. If he didn't use a "service bolt" to lock the spring or he forgot to remove it upon reinstallation you will have mechanical timing issues. If it runs ok it's probably only 1 tooth off and shouldn't hurt anything but the codes won't ever go away until it is fixed correctly.
Can you get the codes read before you take the car back? That's a good place to start.
Old 08-14-20, 09:13 PM
AccordEURO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
It could be something as simple as a loose connection on one of the sensors he had removed. It could be as complicated as him timing the cams incorrectly mechanically to each other in each head, or incorrect timing when the belt was installed. If he didn't use the factory service manual when he did the cam seals that could be the problem. There is a very specific procedure as the 2 cams in each head are geared to each other with a spring-loaded split gear. If he didn't use a "service bolt" to lock the spring or he forgot to remove it upon reinstallation you will have mechanical timing issues. If it runs ok it's probably only 1 tooth off and shouldn't hurt anything but the codes won't ever go away until it is fixed correctly.
Can you get the codes read before you take the car back? That's a good place to start.
Hey, thanks for the in-depth response

In regards to the code, it was definitely cam related, I've forgotten which ones he mentioned but it was 2. I cannot get the name of the codes until I get the car back on Monday. Would you happen to have the factory service manual PDF for the camshaft? I am currently experiencing no vibrating etc. whilst at a stop. It all feels normal apart from having the VSC automatically off.
Old 08-15-20, 03:16 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 678 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by AccordEURO
Would you happen to have the factory service manual PDF for the camshaft? I am currently experiencing no vibrating etc. whilst at a stop. It all feels normal apart from having the VSC automatically off.
Here is a link to the complete listing of DTC's... Do a search for "Camshaft" and you will find several DTCs related to camshaft position sensor.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...for-ls430.html

Last edited by rkw77080; 08-16-20 at 05:54 AM.