Leather seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 10:51 AM
scared0609
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather seat repair

Hi, everyone,

I think some of you might remember me from my first and only thread on here, in which I went ballistic thinking that the '03 LS that I had just purchased hours prior had a fried engine (obviously, that wasn't the case). That was in June.

In the months that have followed me being able to rectify the aforementioned issue (via replacing the cooling fans / radiator), I have to say that this car has treated me very well, and as such, I want to repay it via giving it a bit of glow up.

The interior is already in overall really good shape for an 18-year-old car with over 210K on the clock, but there is a single issue: the driver's seat leather is torn pretty badly. It isn't just ripped; there is a flap of leather missing on the seat bottom, and a bit of the leather on the seatback is ripped as well. The other seats in the car are in excellent condition. I'm guessing that the previous owner, who bought the car new, was the only one who really used it.

Does anyone have experience with having the leather seats in these cars re-upholstered? My car has perforated Ecru leather and climate controlled front seats / heated rear seats. I'm under the impression that I will have to buy the leather myself and then take the car to a shop for it to be re-upholstered -- does anyone know of any leather vendors that may be useful here? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-20, 10:57 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scared0609
Hi, everyone,

I think some of you might remember me from my first and only thread on here, in which I went ballistic thinking that the '03 LS that I had just purchased hours prior had a fried engine (obviously, that wasn't the case). That was in June.

In the months that have followed me being able to rectify the aforementioned issue (via replacing the cooling fans / radiator), I have to say that this car has treated me very well, and as such, I want to repay it via giving it a bit of glow up.

The interior is already in overall really good shape for an 18-year-old car with over 210K on the clock, but there is a single issue: the driver's seat leather is torn pretty badly. It isn't just ripped; there is a flap of leather missing on the seat bottom, and a bit of the leather on the seatback is ripped as well. The other seats in the car are in excellent condition. I'm guessing that the previous owner, who bought the car new, was the only one who really used it.

Does anyone have experience with having the leather seats in these cars re-upholstered? My car has perforated Ecru leather and climate controlled front seats / heated rear seats. I'm under the impression that I will have to buy the leather myself and then take the car to a shop for it to be re-upholstered -- does anyone know of any leather vendors that may be useful here? Thanks in advance.
I've been looking for the same thing for a while now.

The closest I was able to find online was this:

https://www.lseat.com/products/2001-...ers-front.html

But I don't know of anyone that's used it. Considering what OE costs, these are a bargain and can be ordered perf or no perf. But I have no idea of the actual quality. With a car the age of ours, any new leather is going to stand out like a sore thumb. I don't know anything about installing leather or repairing it, but I think that remove/replace is probably the same amount of labor as remove/repair/replace.
Old 09-09-20, 11:42 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 181 Posts

You might also consider a wrecking yard for a used seat cover. Cars with up to 125,000 miles can still have seats in excellent , even like new condition.
Old 09-09-20, 12:59 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by scared0609
Hi, everyone,

Recommend going to a reputable auto upholstery and trim shop and inquire. There are 100s of them in Florida and many are experts at the craft and have sources for leather....
Old 09-09-20, 06:34 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Any very good upholstery shop can source the leather and do the whole job. If it were me I would try ebay first and get a good used seat bottom and back or the used covers.