LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Beware moog hubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20 | 09:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by repairmatt
Autozone, got it cheaper than anywhere else thanks to a 15% off discount code they were running when I bought it.
They beat Rock?
Old 09-12-20 | 09:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Where purchased?

Post images of Moog parts.

Dial indicator readings?
Oh they are junk now, they really do wear out alarmingly often and it's sometimes so poor quality that there is play out of the box. I've stopped using non-US made parts from them, crazy since only 5 years ago they were of great quality
Old 09-12-20 | 09:58 PM
repairmatt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Striker223
They beat Rock?
Yep, after discount it ended up being $170.39 before tax AND free shipping! Not a bad price at all.

Edit: I also remembered the discount amount wrong, it was actually 20% off.

Last edited by repairmatt; 09-12-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-12-20 | 10:29 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Once reputable brands have been plagued by quality issues as a result of overseas sourcing.
I think of the millions of living wage United States manufacturing jobs that were sent offshore...and then to Countries (one in particular) who attempt to do nothing but screw us...and that has been going on long before the mess created by Covid pandemic.
If a us company decides to offshore manufacturing to cut costs, and can't even bother to send over a couple of US engineers to oversee quality control on the factory floor, it seems disingenuous to blame the country of manufacture for anything.
They are not intentionally screwing us by making bad parts, they are doing what they are paid to do, and are producing parts that the us parent feels are good enough to be sold to the public, because they are indeed selling them to us with their name proudly on the box.
US corporate greed is to blame, China never forced them to send the jobs over there, and doesn't force them to sign off on parts that are sub par when they come off the line!
Old 09-13-20 | 01:37 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ellesse
If a us company decides to offshore manufacturing to cut costs, and can't even bother to send over a couple of US engineers to oversee quality control on the factory floor, it seems disingenuous to blame the country of manufacture for anything.
They are not intentionally screwing us by making bad parts, they are doing what they are paid to do, and are producing parts that the us parent feels are good enough to be sold to the public, because they are indeed selling them to us with their name proudly on the box.
US corporate greed is to blame, China never forced them to send the jobs over there, and doesn't force them to sign off on parts that are sub par when they come off the line!
Chinese manufacturers often feel little or no actual obligation to manufacture according to spec and cut corners immediately after presenting prototypes and samples built to spec and "promising" all parts will be manufactured in a like manner. It is intentional. Very often Chinese manufacturers are not doing what they are paid to do. Often Chinese manufacturers cut corners to increase profit and couldn't care less whether others are screwed by using the inferior parts the Chinese manufacturer is producing in violation of their contracts. While lying, cheating, breaking promises, and stealing are generally considered to be immoral actions in the US, many Chinese manufactures may even consider such actions virtues if it leads to greater profit....
Old 09-13-20 | 08:27 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Chinese manufacturers often feel little or no actual obligation to manufacture according to spec and cut corners immediately after presenting prototypes and samples built to spec and "promising" all parts will be manufactured in a like manner. It is intentional. Very often Chinese manufacturers are not doing what they are paid to do. Often Chinese manufacturers cut corners to increase profit and couldn't care less whether others are screwed by using the inferior parts the Chinese manufacturer is producing in violation of their contracts. While lying, cheating, breaking promises, and stealing are generally considered to be immoral actions in the US, many Chinese manufactures may even consider such actions virtues if it leads to greater profit....

I understand, but my point is if even random lexus forum users like us know that, do you think these us companies that move there do not?
when Japanese, Korean, or german auto makers makers for example set up a plant in the us, they send engineers and managers out, to make sure everything is set up to their requirements and then have some stay behind to ensure those standards are maintained.
These companies who offshore to China in most cases dont bother to do that. Nobody complains about iphone build quality coming out of china because they know their reputation rides on their quality and are on top of it. If moog cared as much about the value of their name they would do that too, but its an example of short term profits over long term value, which is now the principle most companies operate under here now.
Old 09-13-20 | 01:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yep, after discount it ended up being $170.39 before tax AND free shipping! Not a bad price at all.

Edit: I also remembered the discount amount wrong, it was actually 20% off.
Wow, that's surprising. Was it an R series or CK series part? The problem solver line still is usually good but the mid grade and entry level stuff is junk
Old 09-13-20 | 03:30 PM
repairmatt
Pit Crew

Wow, that's surprising. Was it an R series or CK series part? The problem solver line still is usually good but the mid grade and entry level stuff is junk
It's the same one that's on Rockauto, 513163. Not sure what series it comes from.
Old 09-13-20 | 04:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It's the same one that's on Rockauto, 513163. Not sure what series it comes from.
It doesn't say but based on other part descriptions on the store it doesn't seem to be part of the problem solver line.

Odd part is based on price it should be?
Old 09-13-20 | 05:47 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

China is a Communist Country. They do not share American values. People are a commodity. One A hole company founder of a billion dollar Chinese conglomerate advertised on the Company's website that his wife gave birth working on the factory floor and she went back to work the same day.

Perhaps you are familiar with China's government edicts and dictates for manufacturers wishing to do business there.

A few polite comments

One, you don't own controlling interest in your company there.

Two, you are required to share your technology...which they use in their collective of government subsidized companies.

Three, Unless you use components manufactured in China, then you pay an import duty on parts imported there.

Four, unless you watch them, they will cut corners and, or, substitute substandard components.

Five, they support North Korea...Ask your grandfather about the Korean War.

Six, they exported Covid to the United States and the World.

Seven; They have provided considerable financial. support to brutal Venezuelan Dictator Maduro.

Eight; Tiawan....

I could go on and on.

Sorry, but just not a very admirable Country...and to repeat...they do not share our values.

Normally would not bother to explain it in such a direct fashion, but we need to cut them off.

Happily, we hold the lock and the key.

Old 09-13-20 | 07:18 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

China is a Communist Country. They do not share American values. People are a commodity. One A hole company founder of a billion dollar Chinese conglomerate advertised on the Company's website that his wife gave birth working on the factory floor and she went back to work the same day.

Perhaps you are familiar with China's government edicts and dictates for manufacturers wishing to do business there.

A few polite comments

One, you don't own controlling interest in your company there.

Two, you are required to share your technology...which they use in their collective of government subsidized companies.

Three, Unless you use components manufactured in China, then you pay an import duty on parts imported there.

Four, unless you watch them, they will cut corners and, or, substitute substandard components.

Five, they support North Korea...Ask your grandfather about the Korean War.

Six, they exported Covid to the United States and the World.

Seven; They have provided considerable financial. support to brutal Venezuelan Dictator Maduro.

Eight; Tiawan....

I could go on and on.

Sorry, but just not a very admirable Country...and to repeat...they do not share our values.

Normally would not bother to explain it in such a direct fashion, but we need to cut them off.

Happily, we hold the lock and the key.

Noted.
My point is simply that knowing all this, us companies still CHOOSE to send manufacturing there because it increases their profits, which increases their stock prices.
I just find it interesting how it's somehow china's fault, when its the companies choosing to move manufacturing there that should be held accountable? China is china, we get it, but they aren't forcing companies to move there and be taken advantage of.
Old 09-13-20 | 07:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Noted.
My point is simply that knowing all this, us companies still CHOOSE to send manufacturing there because it increases their profits, which increases their stock prices.
I just find it interesting how it's somehow china's fault, when its the companies choosing to move manufacturing there that should be held accountable? China is china, we get it, but they aren't forcing companies to move there and be taken advantage of.
I punish them by not buying from them. Simple, the only non US products I try to buy are Japanese made and sometimes German
Old 09-13-20 | 08:22 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

I punish them by not buying from them. Simple, the only non US products I try to buy are Japanese made and sometimes German
Today a neighbor's 1997 Chevy C1500 truck would not start.. 280,000 miles.

I diagnosed the crank position sensor and because it was Sunday, he elected to purchase from Autozoned...to get it running-until he could acquire an OEM part.

Two brands in stock, one made in China and another made in USA.

The Chinese part actually cost more than American made, but had already decided not to purchase Chinese made part.

When consumers understand Country of origin, then a conscious purchasing choice can occur.

Last edited by YODAONE; 09-13-20 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-13-20 | 08:40 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Noted.
I have seen this going on starting in the early 1980's. Politicians realized it has become a matter of National Security, so now it is on the radar. Corporate psychopaths who continue to undermine our economy, health and national security by exporting jobs to Countries like China must be held to account.
Old 09-14-20 | 06:18 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

I have seen this going on starting in the early 1980's. Politicians realized it has become a matter of National Security, so now it is on the radar. Corporate psychopaths who continue to undermine our economy, health and national security by exporting jobs to Countries like China must be held to account.
Algorithm changes in big tech search and social media being implemented, not to provide the best user experience possible, but to influence thought outcomes falling in line with the thinking of big tech and showing big tech's contempt for those with opinions or thoughts not in line with big tech's, along with similar mainstream media's contempt for people whose opinions or thoughts are not in line with its, are not helping....

Quick Reply: Beware moog hubs