Looking for a little oomph...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 04:05 AM
AccordEURO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a little oomph...

Good-day guys,

As per title. I know these posts have been submitted many times over and over, but I think I am after a bit of a different approach to those users.

As embarrassing as this sounds, I would like to gain just a little bit more acceleration out of the LS.. I currently have an 04, and apart from a set of sports mufflers, the car is as stock as it comes.

The intention is to not spend thousands on thousands on a supercharger setup, because I don't condemn them in a car like this, I just want that get up go from the line without the major costs, if that's possible.

I've been thinking about replacing the MAF sensor with a new OEM Denso branded one, as I am not sure on record if this has been replaced in my LS, and I hear it can patch up some throttle response issues if replaced. I am also removing the third catalytic converter and adding an X-pipe to my current exhaust setup this week. I've read the X-pipes can actually decrease performance, is that true? I think it was in regards to the piping diameter.. Please get to me on that.

The last and what will be the most expensive, but not supercharger territory expensive, would be PPE headers. I don't even know where I'd source these first of all, considering I am on Australian shores. I also think there's a lot of labor and work involved in installing these, just from what I've read. The tune as well... If this can close the 0-60 gap ever so slightly, I think I might be satisfied. They also give it a good sound paired with an exhaust.

I scrapped the idea of intake, because I cannot find ANY for the 2004 model, and once again, trouble sourcing these to Australia

Kind regards,
Old 09-27-20, 07:12 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Assuming your LS is in good working order, no reasonably priced mechanical modification is going make the LS any faster except perhaps a tuner style mod to the engine ECU and not sure those are available for a big barge like the LS.
Old 09-27-20, 07:29 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

PPE headers $1200-$1500 + shipping, all4swap ecu reflash $300-$500 + Shipping, mandrel bent exhaust $600-$1800 there is no cheap mods for this car. You want to make your car faster get high performance tires, take weight out of the car, make the suspension better. The biggest way to make any car faster is take driving lessons or go to a track and learn how to drive properly.
The following users liked this post:
RA40 (09-27-20)
Old 09-27-20, 08:22 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Throw a tune on it for a second more, past that it's really expensive really quick
Old 09-27-20, 03:47 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I added a K&N air filter er and removed the resonators from the exhaust years ago. Not really sure if it helped performance but I always get 25mpg on the highway when i take long trips. Maybe she breaths a little better I guess. The exhaust sounds a little better on cold starts and when I get on it.

Last edited by markwhit; 09-27-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 03:52 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by AccordEURO
Good-day guys,

As per title. I know these posts have been submitted many times over and over, but I think I am after a bit of a different approach to those users.

As embarrassing as this sounds, I would like to gain just a little bit more acceleration out of the LS.. I currently have an 04, and apart from a set of sports mufflers, the car is as stock as it comes.

The intention is to not spend thousands on thousands on a supercharger setup, because I don't condemn them in a car like this, I just want that get up go from the line without the major costs, if that's possible.

I've been thinking about replacing the MAF sensor with a new OEM Denso branded one, as I am not sure on record if this has been replaced in my LS, and I hear it can patch up some throttle response issues if replaced. I am also removing the third catalytic converter and adding an X-pipe to my current exhaust setup this week. I've read the X-pipes can actually decrease performance, is that true? I think it was in regards to the piping diameter.. Please get to me on that.

The last and what will be the most expensive, but not supercharger territory expensive, would be PPE headers. I don't even know where I'd source these first of all, considering I am on Australian shores. I also think there's a lot of labor and work involved in installing these, just from what I've read. The tune as well... If this can close the 0-60 gap ever so slightly, I think I might be satisfied. They also give it a good sound paired with an exhaust.

I scrapped the idea of intake, because I cannot find ANY for the 2004 model, and once again, trouble sourcing these to Australia

Kind regards,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rude-hone.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-coatings.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...d-power-3.html
Old 09-27-20, 06:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markwhit
I added a K&N air filter er and removed the resonators from the exhaust years ago. Not really sure if it helped performance but I always get 25mpg on the highway when i take long trips. Maybe she breaths a little better I guess. The exhaust sounds a little better on cold starts and when I get on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJmpzvUVhg
The K&N filter is not going to filter very well and will reduce the life of the engine by essentially sandblasting it
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
jharris400 (09-28-20), StanVanDam (09-29-20)
Old 09-28-20, 07:03 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The K&N filter is not going to filter very well and will reduce the life of the engine by essentially sandblasting it
Agreed , ditch that and go back to a paper filter. the .00001 Horsepoer gained is not worth destroying your MAF with oil
The following users liked this post:
jharris400 (09-28-20)
Old 09-28-20, 07:39 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Originally Posted by weldthedif
Agreed , ditch that and go back to a paper filter. the .00001 Horsepoer gained is not worth destroying your MAF with oil
I have used K&N drop-in and cone filter literally for years on numerous vehicles without one single issue, as well as millions of other people.

Last edited by bradland; 09-28-20 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 09:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
I have used K&N drop-in and cone filter literally for years on numerous vehicles without one single issue, as well as millions of other people.
Take the tube off the car and run your clean finger along the inside, it will come out with an ultra fine dust and possibly some oil. It's been proven they allow enough silica in to lead to ring/cylinder damage. Look at the edges of the throttle blade as well
Old 09-28-20, 10:56 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
Toyota used a premium $45 cabin filter...

If the K & N scheme offered improvement without fouling MAF sensor with oil residue, then Toyota would have expended extra $$.

The 1990-1994 MAF sensor assemblies are $1000..and are destroyed by cleaning with CRC MAF cleaner..... or K & N filter oil residue.

1995+ MAF sensors are not ruined by
K & N filter oil residue, but it certainly does not increase MAF efficiency or life expectancy.

After the K & N filter oil dissipates into coating the intake tract, then what remains to prevent fine dust particles from making their way past filter media (that requires oil to function) into intake stream ??

Some kind of advertising campaign to overlook this.

Last edited by YODAONE; 09-28-20 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 12:22 AM
CSA
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The way I look at it, Toyota engineers know what they are doing and knew what they were doing when they designed these cars, which is the reason we are driving 14 to 19 year-old-cars with relatively few issues. In my opinion, there is no good reason to run anything but factory filters.