Heated windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 05:45 PM
AlphaRed
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heated windshield

2001 ls 430
Do all of these cars have heated windshield? How well do they work?

Thank you
A.R.

Old 09-30-20, 06:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,218 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaRed
2001 ls 430
Do all of these cars have heated windshield? How well do they work?

Thank you
A.R.
If you mean element in the glass then none of them do, OE Lexus glass is rain repelling and UV blocking as is the front door glass and all the rear is UV blocking. The defrost function on these cars work well to the point that it can be iced over and if you turn it on and activate all the heaters it will totally de-ice in 15 min
The following users liked this post:
AlphaRed (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 06:50 PM
AlphaRed
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your response. There is so much that I need to know before I purchase an ls 430.

Steve
Old 09-30-20, 07:27 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

You may like to read through this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...indshield.html
Old 10-01-20, 10:01 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

rain repelling?! That explains so much, Im like I have NEVER rain-x'd this thing since owning it and it still works. I just figured the last owner went crazy with rain-x
aypues (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 12:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trilkb
rain repelling?! That explains so much, Im like I have NEVER rain-x'd this thing since owning it and it still works. I just figured the last owner went crazy with rain-x
Nope lol! If it has original/Lexus glass it has a huge leg up on any aftermarket glass, it's also why a new "real" windshield is over $2000 installed. It's a little known feature that is awesome to have since provided there is no water over 4 inches and you use good tires you simply do not need to care about rain.
Old 10-01-20, 01:12 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm an insurance co's dream. I dread the argument over an OE windshield, so I try to be careful. On my LS430, it has a sticker from the selling dealership in FLA, so I'd like to keep it. Dates back to like Nov 2005. It reminds me that a rich person once owned my car! (Naples, FLA) As mentioned the owner's address is in the gps, programmed as home and house has an 8 car garage. Now it's outside with mildew growing on the grill....
Old 10-01-20, 03:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm an insurance co's dream. I dread the argument over an OE windshield, so I try to be careful. On my LS430, it has a sticker from the selling dealership in FLA, so I'd like to keep it. Dates back to like Nov 2005. It reminds me that a rich person once owned my car! (Naples, FLA) As mentioned the owner's address is in the gps, programmed as home and house has an 8 car garage. Now it's outside with mildew growing on the grill....
Damn lol, mine started with a Doctor in Cincinnati and then was nebulous for a while and eventually circled back to the same type of owner with me.

An easy way to win the argument is to have it replaced then claim it if your policy doesn't specify glass used for replacement or a cost limit. There is also the fact that only two types of glass that will work at all with the factory rain sensor system and if they don't realize that make it clear to them that anything less wont allow the car to work as before.

Last edited by Striker223; 10-01-20 at 03:08 PM.
430Dreamer (10-01-20)
Old 10-02-20, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Damn lol, mine started with a Doctor in Cincinnati and then was nebulous for a while and eventually circled back to the same type of owner with me.

An easy way to win the argument is to have it replaced then claim it if your policy doesn't specify glass used for replacement or a cost limit. There is also the fact that only two types of glass that will work at all with the factory rain sensor system and if they don't realize that make it clear to them that anything less wont allow the car to work as before.
I think the reps are trained, and that's fine, to reduce costs to the company. But it did befuddle me why we have to be on the phone for 40 minutes, only for me to get OE glass on my BMW. And at the time? The car was like 5 years old. My reasoning was I have a deductible, so that if it costs you, $70, or $650, and I'm trying to be nice, it doesn't matter to me. This was the lizard co. so I would never, ever, sign up with them again. Unfortunately, I got in an accident long ago with a brand new BMW loaner. I felt terrible because you guys know how I treat rentals. I saw the estimate and it spec'd used parts, and aftermarket was justified because used not available. On a car with like 2,000 miles. And the sheer robbery of the situation? I switched to the hands people, and with an accident on my record, the rates went down. That was very surprising. Now I have Jake pants and he raised my rates by like $6 per 6 months. And it was 1 car that did it, the other cars went down.

btw on the fine print of loaner cars, it says they can bill you if you have a mishap--not only for the lost ability to use the vehicle, and also if OE parts are not paid by your insurance. Nothing happened I had to pay $500.

When BMW loaned me a car for 3.5 months due to Takata (the car is recalled again and I got a check from the class action early this year--4 years later)? They paid for full coverage, it was not on my insurance (or for any other people who got these loaners). I saw the bill for the car, it was around $9,400. I said is this what BMW pays, it's not, right? Person said yeah, that's what BMW pays for your car. It was $91/day, $35 of which was insurance. Some folks had loaners for 1.5 years due to Takata. BMW and Honda really shined through that scandal.

**Always remember if you have a loaner which is really a rental or temporary use auto--always rewrite the contract every 30 days. Or you could be screwed if there's a mishap.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-02-20 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 05:36 AM
jmdav89
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Mr windshield developed a crack while sitting in an unheated garage over last winter. I asked the windshield repair place to quote me for an OEM windshield for rain sensor type, all the OEM hardware and molding. It came to $2300 installed. My insurance company in Massachusetts covered the entire amount. The installer told me that pay out depends on the cars mileage per year of age. In my case the car has very low miles so they payed for it all.
I still have a quiet ride and no wind noise even at 80 mph. Rain sensor work perfect.
Old 10-02-20, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmdav89
Mr windshield developed a crack while sitting in an unheated garage over last winter. I asked the windshield repair place to quote me for an OEM windshield for rain sensor type, all the OEM hardware and molding. It came to $2300 installed. My insurance company in Massachusetts covered the entire amount. The installer told me that pay out depends on the cars mileage per year of age. In my case the car has very low miles so they payed for it all.
I still have a quiet ride and no wind noise even at 80 mph. Rain sensor work perfect.
My dad lived in MASS for a while and I remember asking him why he didn't shop for insurance? It was regulated by the state and it's like playing poker, and all the cards are the same. That's not true today, it was the 90's. But my understanding is MASS rates are generally high, and there is no deductible on glass by law. also there is a tax paid annually based on the value of the car, so it's like rust never sleeps. Some say govt. overreach, but not when it benefits the individual.
Old 10-02-20, 06:45 AM
white_lx
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 'heated windshield' only heats the area where the wiper blades sit. It is heated by running coolant through a loop glued to the windshield. Look for the two coolant pipes transitioning to hoses just below the windshield cowl. This indicates that you have the heated windshield.

We went through several windshield replacements. Because there is no aftermarket heated windshield, always OEM.
Old 10-02-20, 07:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I thought Subarus have heated windshields, and they're similar to a defrost element that is on all rear glass.

http://www.abbeyroweautoglass.com/wi...hicles/subaru/
Old 10-02-20, 07:52 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Based on the parts diagrams, it looks like the Canadian market LS430 was the only vehicle from Toyota sold in North America that had a coolant based windshield wiper deicer. The LS460 and other Toyota and Lexus models had an electric wiper heater grid at the bottom of the windshield - standard on some models and in an optional "cold weather package" on others. The windshield wiper heater grid is on the same circuit as the exterior mirror and rear window heaters. The benefit of the electric wiper deicer grid is that it heats up much quicker than the coolant based wiper deicer.

The attached photo shows an electric wiper heater grid when I had a windshield replaced in my driveway.